Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

idea/suggestion : Realism/Immersion server.

• 79 posts
    May 30, 2015 1:30 AM PDT

A little while ago I had an idea that I thought would be worth sharing with you guys. I got the idea when I was playing some EverQuest and was thinking about how cool it must have been back when the game was forced first person view and you had to look at your book to meditate etc etc.

I realized that Pantheon would likely not be doing anything like that, given the fact that all the gameplay vids I have seen have been from 3rd person perspective. But what if this was only true for the "normal" servers? What if Pantheon had an "Immersion server" where first person perspective was forced, and you had to perhaps sustain your character with food/water/maybe even some sort of shelter to avoid debuffs or maybe even death?  Does this idea interest anyone? and to any Devs, does this sound like something you would consider for Pantheon?

I know I can't be the only one who is longing for an incredibly immersive experience like this server could deliver. :)

EDIT: Since this idea seems to have drawn a bit of interest, I'll keep the OP updated with a list of suggested features for our hypothetical Immersion server. Feel free to chime in with ideas or **constructive** criticism!

Happytrees :

- Equipment can be worn by the weather and other natural factors and can break etc.

- No minimap or map with player icons and all that. Perhaps make some cartography skill and have players be able to map out different regions, so if you wanted to know your way around you have to either purchase a map from a cartographer or go explore and map it out yourself. It should be up to the players to determine their position on said maps though, it would make "sense heading" and other things of that nature so much more important.

- Forced first person perspective

- Coins causing encumberance.

- Becoming fatigued from running/jumping/climbing/swimming/fighting causing penalties.

- Players require food/water/ maybe even shelter and warmth to stay healthy with consequences for failing to meet those requirements.(could just be something like a leanto or campfire that you can rest at.) Maybe make food/drink items take up more inventory space or possibly able to spoil, so players can't just load up 3 stacks of 20 loaves of bread and head out adventuring for days and days (in game) on end anymore making food/drink management more of a priority, especially on those long adventures.

- More severe death penalty.

- Chance to receive a long term injury from a fall or critical strike.

- Humans and other races without infravision require source of light at night.

Bloodbeard Battlecaster :

- Weather can restrict range of sight (fog, rain, snow)

- Class or Trade skill(s) which assist an character or group against the elements (think of the SWG skill tree and the Scout camp skill).  The 'camps' could provide light, warmth, a safer environment...

Typhon :

- No common tongue! All the races speak different languages and have to learn each other's languages by grouping and talking to each other.

NoobieDoo :

- Make chat more realistic by disabling long range channels like region/guild/whisper/ooc chat and only have regular chat and shout. Maybe have magic items that allow you to communicate over distances.

This post was edited by Happytrees at July 10, 2015 7:08 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 30, 2015 3:03 AM PDT
    Happytrees said:

A little while ago I had an idea that I thought would be worth sharing with you guys. I got the idea when I was playing some EverQuest and was thinking about how cool it must have been back when the game was forced first person view and you had to look at your book to meditate etc etc.

I realized that Pantheon would likely not be doing anything like that, given the fact that all the gameplay vids I have seen have been from 3rd person perspective. But what if this was only true for the "normal" servers? What if Pantheon had an "Immersion server" where first person perspective was forced, and you had to perhaps sustain your character with food/water/maybe even some sort of shelter to avoid debuffs or maybe even death?  Does this idea interest anyone? and to any Devs, does this sound like something you would consider for Pantheon?

I know I can't be the only one who is longing for an incredibly immersive experience like this server could deliver. :)

That sounds like an interesting idea, kind of like Pantheon with survivalism aspects for a harsher more unforgiving experience, and personally this is something I would enjoy a lot. It would probably not be my primary server or character, but I would put some time into a character on a server like that.

That play style is not for everyone though, and it may be a challenge to get enough people to play on a server like that. I am sure if there were enough interest it would be something that we could look into further down the track, most likely after release.

• 112 posts
    May 30, 2015 4:27 AM PDT

There was a discussion, or a discussion inside of a discussion, in one of the threads about 3rd person perspective vs 1st person. 

I wouldn't see a whole server being dedicated to this type myself, but I would love to see the option to toggle between the two for a set duration.

A duration being involved primarily because I would imagine a large majority would be like me - knowing it is for my best (experience wise) to play 1st person - but also knowing it handicaps me some in not being able to swivel a camera around to monitor if I'm medding safely, or still running without aggro, etc.  So a required duration of like a week would be a good enforcement to let the player experience what it's like before impulsively switching back.

hmmm, Queue the Gru voice: LIGHTBULB

A color to the players name associated with the act of turning a tome in... to a white npc with black hair and a goatee... who carries a staff with a skull on top of it... ;)  (for non EQ players, you started your char pve, but could turn in a tome to a priest of discord npc in any starting city and have your name turn red to signify you are permanently flagged for pvp, which was huge since you could not be healed/buffed unless grouped iirc) 

Only question for me at that point, would be do you make that act have a level cap to it or no?  Because if there is a requirement to do it in the first few levels, then you have a new playstyle option for alt's for people to experience the game in a completely different - and very immersive - way.  "What do you guys wanna do tonight?  Let's try rolling an old school char"

EDIT: the more I think about the idea of flagging your char permanently for 1st person view, the more it seems like an obviously simple yes for dev's.  Such a tiny option to add, that gives players a whole new way to experience the game.

This post was edited by Lokkan at May 30, 2015 4:29 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    May 30, 2015 4:49 AM PDT
    Lokkan said:

There was a discussion, or a discussion inside of a discussion, in one of the threads about 3rd person perspective vs 1st person. 

I wouldn't see a whole server being dedicated to this type myself, but I would love to see the option to toggle between the two for a set duration.

A duration being involved primarily because I would imagine a large majority would be like me - knowing it is for my best (experience wise) to play 1st person - but also knowing it handicaps me some in not being able to swivel a camera around to monitor if I'm medding safely, or still running without aggro, etc.  So a required duration of like a week would be a good enforcement to let the player experience what it's like before impulsively switching back.

hmmm, Queue the Gru voice: LIGHTBULB

A color to the players name associated with the act of turning a tome in... to a white npc with black hair and a goatee... who carries a staff with a skull on top of it... ;)  (for non EQ players, you started your char pve, but could turn in a tome to a priest of discord npc in any starting city and have your name turn red to signify you are permanently flagged for pvp, which was huge since you could not be healed/buffed unless grouped iirc) 

Only question for me at that point, would be do you make that act have a level cap to it or no?  Because if there is a requirement to do it in the first few levels, then you have a new playstyle option for alt's for people to experience the game in a completely different - and very immersive - way.  "What do you guys wanna do tonight?  Let's try rolling an old school char"

EDIT: the more I think about the idea of flagging your char permanently for 1st person view, the more it seems like an obviously simple yes for dev's.  Such a tiny option to add, that gives players a whole new way to experience the game.

We already have a 1st/3rd person view for your character, you can scroll between each view as you desire via the mouse wheel, we will most likely not limit that ability on the primary servers though.

Regarding a toggle or lock option, the mouse scroll wheel controls the camera zoom and view. A toggle or lock is not needed, just set the view distance to whatever you like and play! :)

I switch between both 1st and 3rd person views a lot when I play games like Pantheon. I like 1st person for immersion and crafting while 3rd person is better for combat and being more aware of your surroundings. It will be completely up to you which view you use at any given time during your play session.

• 112 posts
    May 30, 2015 5:24 AM PDT

Honestly that was the whole point of the lock though. 3rd person is more efficient, safer, etc, superior in everything except immersive-experience. I'm well aware of the zoom and scroll, I look at people who don't use their mouse to navigate or alter their point of view as if they are mentally challenged. I am also aware that the 1st person experience is one of the main things that made EQ so immersive for me. To look around a corner you had to actually sidle up to it and be very careful not to go too far and aggro the mob(s) around the corner.

It's just one of the many things in life that I know I should do but ignore it and do what is easiest instead.

• 132 posts
    May 30, 2015 6:13 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:

We already have a 1st/3rd person view for your character, you can scroll between each view as you desire via the mouse wheel, we will most likely not limit that ability on the primary servers though.

1st person view confirmed!

• 9115 posts
    May 30, 2015 7:09 AM PDT
    sajbear said:
    Kilsin said:

Lol Brad already said we were having 1st/3rd like EQ/VG ages ago mate :P

• 2138 posts
    May 30, 2015 8:24 AM PDT

I prefer first person. For you would not know it was a safe place to med and I recall being hit in the back by a goblin that I didn't see as I sat to med and it made me a better player for it. Staring at the book, encouraged taking boat trips,(as well as weaving in RL needs/chores while in town) and if on the boat and someone spoke to you, you would have to put the book down. 

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    May 30, 2015 12:55 PM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    sajbear said:
    Kilsin said:

Yes.  And I like to play in first person most of the time (agree it's better immersion).  I usually just switch to 3rd in combat, so I can see a mob coming up behind me and such -- better tactical awareness.

Now, the general idea of an 'immersion' server, however, really appeals to me.

• 1434 posts
    May 30, 2015 3:55 PM PDT

I think an immersion server, or roleplay server, with a set first person would be a great idea.  Permitted there was nothing that absolutely required third person, I would almost definitely have a character there.

• 79 posts
    May 31, 2015 4:08 AM PDT

Thanks for all the replies guys! I guess there is atleast a small interest in an immersion server after all! haha

I went ahead and edited in a little list of suggested features for our hypothetical server, I'll add all of you guys' ideas as you post em or pm them to me.

So, what kind of things would you guys want to see in a server like this if it ever came to be?

• 1434 posts
    May 31, 2015 6:27 PM PDT

To build on the fatigue system you suggested, there could be a energy (or constitution) meter that effects the way your character performs in all gameplay spheres and would be expended by combat, tradeskills, death, and to a lesser degree, running, jumping or moving around in general.  It could be restored by food and drink, with good food and drink being more helpful than generic vendor bought rations etc.  Just standing still, or especially sitting could help restore it (similar to hp mana resting out of combat), but resting in a city, especially an inn or a pub would be even more helpful.  There could be specific buffs that increase the regen rate like rejuvenation.  The fastest way to increase energy is camping out, especially in an outpost or city (much like the rested experience mechanic in other games).

The benefit of energy would have to be tweaked to see what people find most enjoyable and immersive.  Maybe

20% bonus 100-90%

10% bonus 89-60%,

No bonus 59-40%,

-10% 39-10%

-20% 9-1%

Possibly -30% at 0 energy.

Considering this would only be a particular server type, and players that don't like those limitations could always play on a normal server, you could increase the effect of energy.

You could tie offensive and defense skills into it, increasing chance to hit or dodge.  Effectiveness of spells, chance to resist, ability (or inability) to survive in harsh climates, and run speed could obviously be effected by it.  Just some ideas.

Alternatively, (or in addition) you could simply tie energy into the rate that you regain health and mana, and/or player experience similar to working or studying after a good nights sleep and breakfast.  Increasing and decreasing how fast you gain experience based on how well rested and fed you are is realistic.  It also closes the divide a little between the player who no-lifes it and the player who only has a few hours to play tops every day.

I've always thought of EQ as something of a survival game compared to modern mmos.  I will say though, much of the inconveniences or realistic parts of EQ are what many players criticize the most about it.  I find this especially ironic when Survival games have become popular for these very reasons, and much of the tension and immersion revolves around the struggle to stay alive, healthy, and the fear of death (esp perma-death).  Whether an immersion server like this would really be popular could therefore go either way.

This post was edited by Dullahan at June 1, 2015 12:03 AM PDT
    • 578 posts
    May 31, 2015 11:19 PM PDT
    An MMO with a 'survival' server would have some interesting results.

Pulling would be a whole new ball game. The 3rd person camera is very useful when pulling in tight corridors or when trying to clear out a room.
    • 79 posts
    June 1, 2015 12:11 AM PDT

That fatigue idea is great Dulla, EQ has always seemed a bit like a survival game to me too. That's one of the main things I like about it, when you're out in the wild or in a dungeon exploring those survival elements really give the game a very unique atmosphere. That's exactly the sort of thing I would love to see in an immersion server.

While most of the current forum-goers probably wouldn't be into this sort of thing (I'd say 95% of us are just wanting a new EQ when it comes down to it) you can't rule out the possibility of some of the gamers who play things like Rust and DayZ coming over to try out the server if it had enough survival-game like features to appeal to that crowd.

EDIT: Noobie, maybe there could be some sort of peek/lean function to help with looking round corners? Probably wouldn't be too tough to tack on :P

This post was edited by Happytrees at June 1, 2015 12:13 AM PDT
    • 132 posts
    June 1, 2015 2:55 AM PDT
    Kilsin said:
    sajbear said:
    Kilsin said:

Fixed: 1st person view confirmed! Again! ;)

Also, a Realism/Immersion server sounds awesome! ^_^

This post was edited by sajbear at June 1, 2015 2:37 PM PDT
  • June 1, 2015 6:15 AM PDT

Fixed first person, or limited 3rd person view, causes a player to think about the consequences of just sitting and meditating, or healing, in a hostile environment.   3rd person, especially when almost unlimited, reduces the risk, and so the majority of players would not like being locked into 1st person.  Personally, I really enjoy the immersion.  I run in 1st person and turn my character around to see what is behind him, or to look left and right, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

An immersion server, if there is a population for it, would be my choice server.  Of course, if the 'survivalist' server is pvp then I won't be on it because I don't pvp much.

Ideas -

Weather can restrict range of sight (fog, rain, snow)

Class or Trade skill(s) which assist an character or group against the elements (think of the SWG skill tree and the Scout camp skill).  The 'camps' could provide light, warmth, a safer environment...

• 79 posts
    June 1, 2015 2:42 PM PDT

Thanks for the suggestions Bloodbeard, added them to the OP.

• 338 posts
    June 2, 2015 7:36 AM PDT

I like the idea of a "Hardcore" server although I would not like it if the first person perspective was forced.

Kiz~

• 79 posts
    June 2, 2015 7:51 AM PDT
    Angrykiz said:

I like the idea of a "Hardcore" server although I would not like it if the first person perspective was forced.

Kiz~

Well the idea here wouldn't be really make a "hardcore" server per say, but to make a server to better immerse the players in the atmosphere of the game. The forced first person perspective isn't to add difficulty, but to make you feel like you're a part of the game world, not just an observer looking through a camera hovering 12 ft above the ground.

• 49 posts
    June 2, 2015 10:49 AM PDT

I would really love a server like Happytree is suggesting but i alos agree with Kilsin i would put a good bit of time into it but it wouldnt be my primary server. As for me the way i play any MMO RPG is always 1st person view except for raiding. Depending on the fight i usally switch back and forth unless its a fight that consist of alot of jousting or dodging AE s  or jousting to a certain color (wink Karax ) and so on. The only real problem i could see being locked in 1st person would present is tanking. Now if you MT and just holding said boss mob not so much of problem if he is tank and spank. But what could be a real pain is picking up adds or off tanking. I guess you could always have an option where third person would unlock for certain encounters or what not. But still all in all i love the idea of a hardcore survival type server. Great idea )

• 51 posts
    June 24, 2015 2:13 PM PDT

Just to clear up a misunderstanding here, there was never a locked 1st person view in EQ. I played from the day EQ went live and quickly discovered by cycling through the vanity cameras there was a behind the back cam I could set up as a 3rd person view. I played with that view practically from day one.

I love those ideas, but I detest 1st person. It makes me motion sick. I get nauseous unless I severely limit the field of view, but that just makes me feel like I'm looking through a box. I'd rather have some peripheral vision. I like all the other ideas though. I'd love to play on a server like that, except I'd rather not have to keep a barf bag next to me the whole time. I wouldn't be able to play on that server if 3rd person weren't allowed, and I would be angry about it too. Just saying. :)

• 120 posts
    June 24, 2015 2:28 PM PDT
    F9 or F10 toggled your camera always
    • 51 posts
    June 28, 2015 1:34 AM PDT

I had an idea for the immersion server...

No common tongue! All the races speak different languages and have to learn each other's languages by grouping and talking to each other. People will end up spamming each other to learn them quickly like in EQ back in the old days, but it would be a fun element of realism for those who appreciate the added difficulty. And the truly hardcore immersion players get to learn languages the hard way.

It don't think it would hurt the social aspect of the game in the long run because everyone would probably learn most of the languages in the low-mid levels.

RPers would probably get a kick out of it too. :)

• 1434 posts
    June 28, 2015 1:42 AM PDT
    Typhon said:

I had an idea for the immersion server...

No common tongue! All the races speak different languages and have to learn each other's languages by grouping and talking to each other. People will end up spamming each other to learn them quickly like in EQ back in the old days, but it would be a fun element of realism for those who appreciate the added difficulty. And the truly hardcore immersion players get to learn languages the hard way.

It don't think it would hurt the social aspect of the game in the long run because everyone would probably learn most of the languages in the low-mid levels.

RPers would probably get a kick out of it too. :)

Love this idea.  If even half these suggestions make it to a server I'd 100% be there day one of Pantheon.

This post was edited by Dullahan at June 28, 2015 4:25 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 28, 2015 6:48 AM PDT

Yes, like in EQ1, and a good reason to take boats, no matter how long, because the time on the boat can be spent learning a language with another and meeting people to possibly group with later on.

I liked the idea that rogues had "thieves cant" which was a secret language. I imagine the - gosh I don't know if this can be done- but  for fencing? or temporary faction repair? like being able to bribe the Fence to have " all those issues go away, for a short while" in town as a thief, and maybe if you did a morally grey help for a rouge they may be able to share their faction fixing for a shorter while, say, if you just needed to catch the boat "everyone knows, she's with me but only until midnight" kind of gangster/mob like thing. And thieves should be able to pickpocket coin only, any time, anywhere from PC's only. So you have to be careful if you have one n your group, and it is often good to have one in your group, so there is some fun social dynamic, role-play-prompting, " you knew I was a scoprion when you rode on me", or " you mess with the bull, you get the horns" kind of thing.

ooh sorry going off a bit here. The NPC Boss rogue leader says: "so, you helped my friend, that's nice, and he told you, you needed to pay that 20p to the "toll master" named grimlok at the docks, you saw him right? (smiling) because he saw you staring at him" , "yes I did, but he didn't have "toll master" as a title, he just looked like anyone else I was not sure" , "oh, he didn't have a title,...you say you are a mage? " - "yes" - " I don't see a title, hey boogway, you see a title?" - "no title, boss"- "so how come you are telling me you are  a mage, you lying to me, too? like you lied about paying the toll master when my friend told you to pay him. " - " no, wait, I...." - " ok look, mistakes, happen, I understand that,but we run a very tight ship here, you're a mage, hunh? ok even though you don't have a title you can prove it to me, there is a goblin in Dungeon Y named pickrot, he has something of mine and I want you to get it for me. You have three days. If you don't get it in three days, you can come and go as you please, no one will bother you, but you have to pay grimlok 2P every time you see him, coming and going and don't be cute trying invisibility because only your corpse can avoid paying. Once you get the item to me you don't have to pay him anymore, and then we can discuss paying back the original 20p, which will accrue at 25% every week after 3 days"- "wait, what! 25%, this is roberry!!" "What did you say?, we are respectable citzens, think of it like a pay day loan- listen you mess with the bull, you get the horns". hehehehe.

Sorry, I was thinking about this all last week, I didn't post the rest because I did not want to force a "TL:DR" reaction from most- but if I had alot of money, like millions to spare, I would be like the pushy producer in Hollywood and walk into pantheon, slap the money on the desk, interfere with the developers and say " put in this" (and pantheon would say under their breath; like in the film "Wag the dog"- I hate it when money interferes with the creative process. and I would know it was uncool but it would be more than enough millions) where  it would include the above, but also:

A sleeper like awakening to combat the evil-ebayers/"I'd rather sell, than play" people. So in the above scenario, say alot of people don't pay, ever, and never go to Pickrot, (just a waste of time, they say), and at 25%  a week. after, oh, 26 weeks? (making 25% of 10P=14P, then next week 25% of 14P, and on...) and because X amount  of players did not pay back the total amount or did not complete in three days- suddenly, world wide:

No one can sell- a mechanic is kicked off where player characters cannot trade with each other. Only trade-ins allowed are quest related. This may cause the distasteful act of thinking MQ'ing is a viable option, no longer accessible. Have to do it yourself, all of it, and once for you don't need two, got it? good, now move on and leave that NPC alone.

Mechants buy at gouging levels- everywhere. Something that yesterday sold for 5P to a merchant now sells for 5 copper. Buying back same item from merchant,no longer costs 5.5p but costs 5000p. For those that did do it, they can still buy/sell to merchants for regular prices. re-roles are secretly seen as linked to the same person, so are also under the: no-PC-trade, merchant-gouge ban. High end items are sold to merchants because it can only be sold to merchants, players can see high end items in merchant inventory, at merchant prices. (Hey! a fungi tunic for 20Kp, hmm, I hope its still there when I get back, but you know- that quested item is also nice and free, or MoB X drops something not as good, but ok, and that is free, but i need a group and friends to get it, hmm. I have not enough money, but I have lots of friends, oh heck why not give it a go)

All because no one, got that thing from Pickrot for the boss in 3 days, and no one, paid the price (+25%).

Pickrot suddenly becomes a contested MOB (I used to think that meant "man or beast" because I did not understand lol)

Pickrot is a low level and suitable for lower level players so they get first shot (those doing it at the right age and at the right time- because they helped their rogue friend and it is good to have rogues as friends)

People have to line up, take turns, and wait to get their piece,(PLAY NICE) from pickrot, to give to the Boss and then pay the Boss, his tribute.

Can't pay him? well then, you can keep your items, just use them up, or store them, maybe learn the WHOLE IDEA. Limited space? too bad. you made your choices, you can always sell to the merchants..... Hey can you help me with this quest? some good items there, not up? oh well, maybe I will run into you tomorrow, and we can try again, if not, we can do something else with the Loot lock-out, only those who haven't, can loot .

Unlike the sleeper in EQ1, the "Boss" is not a enemy that gets stronger or can be defeated, but waits there, for his/her tribute- while affecting all the merchants and transactions in a gangster kind of way.

The Boss however is seen to grow in size level and power. A possible final outcome, is a massive raid. rules: Bank must be empty of all your cash. Bank must not contain duplicate items/weapons/gear- except for trade skill items. Merchant gouging also applies to gems(so you can't convert your cash to trade skill gems). All your cash must be on your person. Each raid force needs to take down the Boss from X  health to Y health. Boss has neat loot table and enough cool, neat and unique (unique and cool for every encounter- no duplicates) items and all the players cash is removed from their person.

And all the GM's and guides could deflect the ire or queries from the players by saying it is part of the quest, i is part of the game, nothing they can do about it.

Possible outcomes: Uber evil-ebaying guild X transfers multiple items to each member so they have one item in their banks. Then when Boss encounter is completed the arguments ensue- why should I give it back? I can sell it for X and keep it for myself! hey SOE gave you a free room at the convention- WHY WONT THEY GIVE ONE TO ME? what makes you so special?.  I read that Psychology today article: MMO's are enjoyable because everyone starts out at the same level, and has the same opportunity to be just as great- unlike in real life. What do you mean you are different, like segregation? You get to be a member because you are a different race? what do you mean it is not the same, IT IS- you don't get it? shoot I was about to introduce you to my pretty/handsome friend, but as a result of this observed charasteristic and thinking on your part I think it best you go childless with that innate attitude- IN A GAME NO-LESS, a game...it's a game, fun, its not a JOB, sheesh, go play WoW).

-Player Y sees Fungi tunic for sale by player X for 50KP! and thinks, I saw that on a merchant for 20k, But I got these other items (plural) instead and although the fungi would be nice, I am doing pretty well with this other stuff, and the people I met-man we are really tight in a group. Nice, but not a game changer, I'll pass. " Yo, Mates!" " wassaaaap". "wa...saaaaap" "wanna group up and see, whats- uh- over there?" "sure!" "wasaaaaP!"

This post was edited by Manouk at August 3, 2015 6:35 PM PDT