Forums » Pantheon Classes

The trinity, damage classes, and other ramblings

• 279 posts
    July 11, 2016 10:25 AM PDT
    I personally think each of the tanks should have styles of encounters they are best suited for and styles they are not.

A dual wielding warrior is going to avoid melee better than a crusader with his his sword and shield. Have a higher HP pool and regen his health at a quicker rate.

A crusader is going to mitigate well, avoid poorly and perform middle of the road versus spells.

A dire lord would function very well against spell damage, avoid better than a crusader and mitigate least.

Example: a warrior would tank best against a wildly swinging Giant king, as he would avoid most damage. The DL would be middle road, avoiding more than the crusader, but taking decent damage. A crusader would be worst for this encounter not being able to move/aavoid as quickly.

Example 2: a dragon, the crusader would do well because of mix of physical and magical damage. The warrior 2nd due to being able to avoid alot of the melee and regen through the spell damage which would be less common than the melee. The DL last because melee would be more frequent.

Example 3: A lich, a DL would be the goto tank as the majority of damage would be magical. A crusader second, a warrior third because of all the magical damage.

There now all guilds require all 3, adds for each encounter would be of types that would encourage the other 2 tanks to be off tanks in those scenarios.

No more stack 8 warriors 3 paladins 1 SK type raid events like EQ eventually became.
    • 432 posts
    July 12, 2016 6:04 PM PDT

I personally think each of the tanks should have styles of encounters they are best suited for and styles they are not.

I disagree, only because Tanks are hard enough to find. Who wants to play a class which changes drastically the moment you get in a group? Who's abilities are worthless when alone but suddenly they matter while your in a group? Non-healers and Non-tank classes are the KINGS of MMORPG's. They out-populate the others by a large margin. To then fracture the Tank classes into suited area's would then create an even larger hardship. 

I don't think you have a bad idea, it sounds kind of fun-like you can be specialized in a certain type of fighting. AOE fighting or Single Target fighting. You could even have a different way of fighting, avoidance instead of blocking/parrying or Taking big hits but not parrying/dodging/blocking anything due to another mechanic which makes you thick or regen health. The problem is the popularity of Tanks is low, just like Healers popularity is low. Unless Tanks suddenly become 'fun' to play for your average joe, like DPS classes are, then Tanks won't survive something like what you are suggesting.

I will also say, there will be an endgame and a content drought as there usually is. When this happens do you have faith the producers of this game will even out the content so each of those types of tanks will be equally useful? Or due to unforseen player advancement, the good ol' meta breakers, the only tank to roll is tank X because of tank X's natural ability works in all situations due to X Y factors. My money is on the players, they always mess things up :)

And again, I actually LOVE your idea. I like feeling 'unique' when I roll my class and I can pick and choose the exact situations I can shine in. It can be so worth it, but on the other hand you may be very punished. Interesting double edged sword.

-Todd

• 279 posts
    July 12, 2016 6:21 PM PDT

Well not all DPS classes are created equally though, Some are better at sustained/burst/AE etc, I was trying to find a way to superimpose that image onto the tanking classes. Though you bring up some very fine points. 

Though to be clear I think every tank should be able to tank an encounter, but I don't think "all tanks are equal on everything" works either, due to the fact the classes work in 3 different ways.

• 432 posts
    July 12, 2016 8:37 PM PDT

Though to be clear I think every tank should be able to tank an encounter, but I don't think "all tanks are equal on everything" works either, due to the fact the classes work in 3 different ways.

That sounds excellent my friend.

-Todd

• 510 posts
    August 9, 2016 5:15 PM PDT

ZOMFG!  This whole thread is moot and should be burned in a fire as it is mistaken in assuming there is a holy trinity that does not include an Enchanter.