Forums » News and Announcements

Developer Round Table - 2.28.15

• 9115 posts
    March 2, 2015 5:45 PM PST

Pantheon Community,

It is with great pleasure that we release to you our second Developer Round Table!

I had the honour of speaking with the team and asking them your questions, we had really good discussions on multiple topics that I think you will all enjoy a lot. We had a few extra members of the team join us for the Developer Round Table this time around so I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed putting it together for you all!

You can check out the 1 hour long audio here: Developer Round Table 2.28.15 part 1

Speakers in order of appearance:

Chris (Joppa) Perkins

Ben (Kilsin) Walters (reading/asking the questions)

Brad (Aradune) McQuaid

Chris (Kuripan) Rowan

Daniel (Suradan) Krenn

Stay tuned for part 2 which will be released next week!

Regards

Pantheon Team

Please note: this recap is considerably reduced in size to be easily read by everyone and is basically and very general consolidation of 1 hours worth of information and details into basic points to get the message across, for more details on any of these points, please listen to the Developer Round Table as we go into quite a lot of detail on most topics for you all.

Developer Round Table 2.28.15 – Part 1

Written Recap for those of you who are time poor or have trouble listening to the whole hour or have streaming/internet issues.

o   Crafting/Diplomacy in at release – Yes, base crafting will be in at launch, no thoughts on Diplomacy or similar spheres yet but we are open to possibly implementing something like that down the track as an expansion.

o   3 Starting cities – They are Sanctums (monolithic structures) not hubs or starting cities, each race will get its own starting city similar to EQ and not all will be the same.

o   Death Penalty – Not set in stone, death needs to hurt but dying is part of the game and means you are taking risks, we don’t want to discourage that. It will be at least as painful as Vanguards Death penalty if not more painful. Corpses and Experience can be retrieved but we need to find the balance between the environments and to not deter you from exploring and taking risks.

o   Crowd Funding – Raising large amounts of capital is a slow process, crowd funding coming in from the community helps us greatly to speed up the builds and put more detail into them for investors. We are actively seeking Investors to support Pantheon but all the contributions from the community help us a lot and we appreciate it greatly, thank you!

o   World Building – World build is constructing the game zones and the world from the basic level of the terrain itself to the textures and covering to merging the physical art assets into the mix and blending it all together. There are lots of layers to world building but we consider lighting, various systems like weather, day/night cycle, programming, logistics etc. all part of it, while Npcs, mobs, patrols, aggro, social, combat etc. fall more into the game design department but there is great communication between all the arms of development to make sure everything works well together and that is very important.

o   Dark/Light/Mood setting/Music – There is a reason MMOs darkness isn’t really dark outdoors, we still want people to be able to travel around without being restricted by not being able to see anything every so many hours of gameplay. Dungeons should be dark and have meaning/sound effects/atmosphere etc. we will be looking for a good balance that suits our game and our players.

o   Controlling overblown spell effects – We will have systems in place to combat particle effects and have options to scale those visual effects up or down but for raids etc. we will have to experiment during Alpha/Beta until we get that balance needed.

o   Alternate Advancement – It is very likely you will see Alternate Advancement handled in several different ways. We want to create a system that is as nonlinear as possible while still building on the old foundations of AA’s. We will talk more on this later on in development.

o   Colour codes/Rarity – Yes we will have weapon and item rarity to define the quality/grade of a weapon or item, we are not sure about colour or how we will display them in the UI.

o   Npc Vendors – We’re going to give it a shot and try to allow players to sell an item and then have another play walk up and be able to purchase that item if they need it, we would like to experiment with that and we will test it during Alpha/Beta. We are aware of twinking and do not want lower level players to be able to totally twink out but we will have systems in place that reward keeping your old weapons and sacrificing them for long term buffs or some bonus to your main character, that way selling or passing on your weapon/items may not always be a wise move but the choice will be yours. We don’t want players to think we will be policing them, we want the world to be alive, the economy to be player driven, meaningful interaction between their gear and items etc.

o   Unity 5 – Zones/Loading screens or seamless – There is nothing in Unity 5 to help with that, we decided long ago that Pantheon would be a zone based game which allows us to build the world more quickly, it better suits our world with all these planar collisions where landscapes change etc.

o   Character sheet slots/sock – You can see from our screenshots the amount of slots we are currently using, while it’s not set in stone you can still get a rough idea. Socks could be a part of our emergent gameplay, while we joked about it initially we had some great discussions about it off air too and think socks could play a good part in meaningful travel, those steel boots would have to hurt and give you blisters right? Socks could be the answer we have been looking for all these years.

o   Will we have Cloaks in game – Yes

o   Customisable settings and UI – Yes you will be able to customise your UI, we will also have draw distance, graphic options, sound options, gameplay options, particle effects and all the basics, we will have to tweak those as we test via Alpha/Beta though and take feedback from our members.

o   Raid content/Dungeon open world boss/raid size – Yes absolutely, we will not only want to release raids on release but we also want to have raids at lower levels, we don’t want to limit it to just max level or any specific size raids, we will most likely have 6/12/18/24 man raids and possibly other combinations or size limits depending on the zone, the encounter, the content etc. and yes we want to have open world and dungeon based mobs, bosses, groups, raids. The whole game is being designed around group/raid gameplay and meaningful player interaction.

o   Combat twitch or reaction – It will be more traditional EQ/VG style, not twitch based like double tap roll like in Guild Wars 2, we may have some moments that will require some of those movements but it will only be in special instances, we want you to think about group/raid positioning for tanks, healers etc. there will be effects and AoE’s and reasons to move away from nasty effects but it will not be twitch combat based – Think EQ/VG combat with some surprises.

o   Server Population – We really cannot say at this point as it is still very early, we don’t want too over populate but we sure as heck don’t want under population either, so once we get done building our zones (we would like to launch with 50 or so zones) we will test the performance vs population during Alpha/beta and stress test in Beta to find that good balance that best suits our game and our engine/servers.

o   Weapon and Armour rarity – Yes we will use a similar system to EQ, our premier/highest level/most powerful/best looking weapons/items are going to be very difficult and hard to achieve, we want it to be an accomplishment. Our stylistic direction is more in line with realistic looking equipment, so not everyone will have a big flashy graphic, the starting lower level gear will be similar to EQ “rags to riches” type style, so you start out weak and work your way up. We are taking an elegant desirable approach to our end game weapons and items while keeping it in perspective and not going overboard on weapons, gear and items. A higher level well geared player will be someone to stare at I awe and know that they are accomplished adventurers and they will be something a lower level player will look at and go “wow” I want to be like them, I want that armour it looks awesome but know they would’ve worked very hard for it.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at August 29, 2015 5:55 AM PDT
    • 378 posts
    March 2, 2015 5:55 PM PST

Thanks mate, need to find my headphones so i can listen at work. 

• 208 posts
    March 2, 2015 6:28 PM PST

Thank you Kilsin!  I love these Dev round tables I just wish that the people would start saying their given name and their handle before they start talking so we as a community can start putting voices with personalities and names :)

• 378 posts
    March 2, 2015 6:41 PM PST

I want to see the BIG DISCO 

• 9115 posts
    March 2, 2015 8:57 PM PST
    Sogotp said:

Thank you Kilsin!  I love these Dev round tables I just wish that the people would start saying their given name and their handle before they start talking so we as a community can start putting voices with personalities and names :)

That is a good suggestion Sogo, we will keep that in mind for the next one mate, unfortunately part 2 is from the same discussion which went for a couple of hours! so to help you out I have edited my post to include the speakers names, in order of their appearance, I hope that helps tell the voices apart a bit better.

The next round table will also include Justin (Istuulamae) Gerhart and Justin speaks a bit about lore, so I am sure you guys will appreciate that :)

We had a lot of fun putting this together so I am glad you enjoyed it mate!

• 238 posts
    March 2, 2015 9:01 PM PST

Glad to see another round table. I am glad that this one was more focused on answering question. Was a little surprised on my question that Brad mentioned that he felt it important to label items rarity and such. Honestly have yet to see anyone every on this forum speak fondly of the idea of needing to label items. I truly think most here see that as one of the many examples of hand holding we all wish to be removed.

• 671 posts
    March 2, 2015 9:29 PM PST

Great conversation guys..!

Sorry to perplex you all so much with the socks question, as I was somewhat serious. Guess "socks" was the wrong image...?

Either way, magical socks was an intriguing idea...    but I was thinking more about enhancing jump & running due to less fatigue and/or increased dex in cold places, etc. Because your feet are not freezing through your armor, Or sweating & blistering in the heat, etc.

Plus, Monks always wear stockings...

• 753 posts
    March 2, 2015 9:56 PM PST

PvE = you vs the world.

Positioning, etc... yes - Twitch game NO.

I nearly died.  This is awesome :) 

This post was edited by Wandidar at March 4, 2015 1:19 PM PST
    • 67 posts
    March 2, 2015 11:10 PM PST

Thanks again for the roundtable discussion, really appreciate the time you guys take out of your day to make these, also, thank you community members for being there to ask questions when im too lazy or not available too!!! =P

• 311 posts
    March 2, 2015 11:23 PM PST

Thanks for all the great answers team. I have a new question, with all these new layoffs (soe) are we gaining any new devs? 

Also I think some beans got spilled lol.

Druid ftw at night baby!!

So you said some races will have certain affinities to cut through the darkness (not completely). So I'm guessing Elves with night vision, or dwarves, Ogres, ect. Will it be infra red or starlight/cats eye?

I also like the stuff on counter spell/okie's shield.

• 671 posts
    March 2, 2015 11:42 PM PST

I like that Brad is already thinking ahead, and exploring the meta-economy and toying with ideas like item sinks & deeper rooted problems with mudflation. I can't wait to discuss this further on alpha development forums.

I am glad that combat was more thoroughly hashed out and explained, nearly set in stone as for the base mechanics.

No hesitation on cloaks..! Good.

But has VRi given any thought to how such things as insignias can add to your revenue stream..? Such as $50 to register your Guild Logo and $25 for a family crest, etc. (That now are emblems on the backs of your cloaks.)

Also comforting, knowing that Pantheon will be more realistic and have subtle'ness in the armor/weapon grades. And that possibly a leather wrapped handle.. will be noticeable, from the sword that is not...  and that 12 foot long swords won't be in Pantheon. Or something like that..

All good things.

• 83 posts
    March 2, 2015 11:47 PM PST

cliff notes pretty please with puppy eyes? ^_^

• 48 posts
    March 3, 2015 3:05 AM PST

where do we go to suggest questions for the round tables?

• 378 posts
    March 3, 2015 3:07 AM PST

A new thread will be opened when they are taking questions for the next one .

This post was edited by Zandil at March 3, 2015 4:59 AM PST
    • 610 posts
    March 3, 2015 3:57 AM PST
    Zlambit said:

This is gonna rock!

Pretty much sums it up lol

• 9115 posts
    March 3, 2015 4:05 AM PST
    Zlambit said:

Man those puppy eyes...how can anyone resist! lol

I have edited my main post to include detailed cliff notes for those of you who are time poor, or have streaming, listening or connection issues :)

• 610 posts
    March 3, 2015 4:17 AM PST

o Colour codes/Rarity – Yes we will have weapon and item colour codes and rarity to define the quality of a weapon or item.

All I can say is "Boo" to this

I was really hoping we wouldnt have the silly color (and yes I spelled it correctly lol) teirs telling us what is the better weapon / armor

• 9115 posts
    March 3, 2015 4:25 AM PST
    Sevens said:

o Colour codes/Rarity – Yes we will have weapon and item colour codes and rarity to define the quality of a weapon or item.

I was really hoping we wouldnt have the silly color (and yes I spelled it correctly lol) teirs telling us what is the better weapon / armor

You caught me before I could fix that typing error. I added colour by mistake as I was typing another portion up at the same time.

I have corrected it in my main post to read:

"Colour codes/Rarity – Yes we will have weapon and item rarity to define the quality/grade of a weapon or item, we are not sure about colour coding or how we will display them in the UI."

Also I understand Australia and the US spell Colour/Color differently (among other things) so I don't call anyone out on things like that, we both spelled it correctly lol ;)

• 610 posts
    March 3, 2015 4:51 AM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Sevens said:

You caught me before I could fix that typing error. I added colour by mistake as I was typing another portion up at the same time.

I have corrected it in my main post to read:

"Colour codes/Rarity – Yes we will have weapon and item rarity to define the quality/grade of a weapon or item, we are not sure about colour coding or how we will display them in the UI."

Also I understand Australia and the US spell Colour/Color differently (among other things) so I don't call anyone out on things like that, we both spelled it correctly lol ;)

I know, I was just being facetious about the Colour / Color and Armor / Armour spelling in the US and rest of the world.

Was meant totally tongue in cheek

• 9 posts
    March 3, 2015 5:01 AM PST

Great info and thanks for the update!

I just have one thing I would like to bring attention to that I really hope is done right. :) I really hope that telegraphs are not going to be made like Wildstar did... 

http://youtu.be/PgFo28scfYM

Here it's discussed on the forum.

https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/232/telegraphs

This post was edited by Mistmaker at March 3, 2015 5:02 AM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    March 3, 2015 10:59 AM PST
    Sevens said:

Probably going to steer away from colors - that's my goal, I strongly dislike them.

• 610 posts
    March 3, 2015 11:00 AM PST
    Joppa said:
    Sevens said:

Probably going to steer away from colors - that's my goal, I strongly dislike them.

Yay! thanks for this Joppa

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    March 3, 2015 11:12 AM PST
    Sevens said:
    Joppa said:
    Sevens said:

Yay! thanks for this Joppa

You bet!

• 83 posts
    March 3, 2015 11:46 AM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Zlambit said:

Man those puppy eyes...how can anyone resist! lol

I have edited my main post to include detailed cliff notes for those of you who are time poor, or have streaming, listening or connection issues :)

many thankses

• 999 posts
    March 3, 2015 6:17 PM PST

Appreciate it all for taking the time to answer several of my and other community member's questions.  I not only really enjoy listening to the answering of the questions but also the interaction between team members - there seems to be a great deal of respect and camarderie.