Forums » News and Announcements

Pantheon State of the Game 2.20.15

• 34 posts
    February 22, 2015 1:37 PM PST
    Joppa said:

One more thing and I’ll wrap this up. Ever since Vanguard, I’ve read posts and posts about how much people liked the class system. Even some of the more critical MMO players out there have had nothing but good things to say about the classes in that game, how they felt and played differently, that they didn’t feel cookie-cutter at all. Well, we are determined to have the classes in Pantheon feel that way as well, and are putting a lot of effort into making sure they don’t just feel traditional, but that they also include features and mechanics that really make pla

-Brad “Aradune Mithara” McQuaid

First off, I actually really like the idea of the different colored mana bars to represent customization and differing schools of magic. Before it got explained, it sounded kind of gimmicky, but I really like Brad's summary. I especially like the idea of accumulating mana through a focus type weapon. In addition to the spell/class customization, it will alleviate a problem many MMOs have of a single best equipment build. Different specializations very well could have much different Best in slot items, which adds a lot of flavor to the game IMO.

But the above quoted snippet makes me very excited. As a dedicated player of VG from its beta, I loved that game. The classes are unequalled in any other MMO I have played, including EQ. Drawing inspiration from there makes me a very happy camper.

I'll donate some more to the cause as soon as I can keep my pre-alpha access without going from $375 to $1000. I'd happily jump up to cohort though if I didn't lose my bridge pledge.

But keep up the good work. You all are doing a great job bringing this vision to life. I can't wait for the class updates.

This post was edited by Faux at March 9, 2015 8:09 AM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    February 22, 2015 1:38 PM PST
    Curlok said:

Love the video and nice to see that its been so well received on other sites too.

The more I hear that music, the more I want to have it on my MP3

Thank you Curlok, I'm honored. I try to keep Pantheon's Soundcloud page updated with all of the music I've finished so far - check it out whenever you want to listen :)

Pantheon Soundcloud Page

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    February 22, 2015 2:01 PM PST
    Krohm said:
    Any hint on specialization for us melee types?

Yes, can't go into details yet, but the general concept is the same -- the better melee skills and abilities will be found out in the world, not at your local trainer.  

• 208 posts
    February 22, 2015 6:42 PM PST

This all sounds great and the ideas are very lofty.  I suspect that reality and implementation will bring a lot of these ideas back down to known or recognizable tendencies.  I am waiting to see what the reality is before I get I get all excited.  There have been a lot of other promises and lofty ideas/goals that were just talk before it was admitted that it couldn't be done.  I have had to many hopes and dreams shattered in the past to let myself get excited over words.

• 671 posts
    February 22, 2015 8:02 PM PST
    Mannikin said:
    Joppa said:

One more thing and I’ll wrap this up. Ever since Vanguard, I’ve read posts and posts about how much people liked the class system. Even some of the more critical MMO players out there have had nothing but good things to say about the classes in that game, how they felt and played differently, that they didn’t feel cookie-cutter at all. Well, we are determined to have the classes in Pantheon feel that way as well, and are putting a lot of effort into making sure they don’t just feel traditional, but that they also include features and mechanics that really make pla

-Brad “Aradune Mithara” McQuaid

First off, I actually really like the idea of the different colored mana bars to represent customization and differing schools of magic. Before it got explained, it sounded kind of gimmicky, but I really like Brad's summary. I especially like the idea of accumulating mana through a focus type weapon. In addition to the spell/class customization, it will alleviate a problem many MMOs have of a single best equipment build. Different specializations very well could have much different Best in slot items, which adds a lot of flavor to the game IMO.

But the above quoted snippet makes me very excited. As a dedicated player of VG from its beta, I loved that game. The classes are unequalled in any other MMO I have played, including EQ. Drawing inspiration from there makes me a very happy camper.

I'll donate some more to the cause as soon as I can keep my pre-alpha access without going from $375 to $1000. I'd happily jump up to cohort though if I didn't lose my bridge pledge.

But keep up the good work. You all are doing a great job bringing this vision to life. I can't wait for the class updates.

OR^ even certain objects, that can act as a catalyst, and allow your mana to be of another color, or taken one step beyond with an object itself being multifaceted and able to convert to several different mana hues, etc...

I have to say, that I have tossed around & played with Brad's new idea of multi-color mana, and I like the possibilities. I liken the concept to a mana spectrum. Just like a rainbow/prism, or spectrum of light. Endless..

Pro Tip:

Much easier to grasp Brad's concept if you look at the Colors of Magic the Gathering...    makes sense after that point.

edit:

I am also waiting for the new web-site and forums and Pledge store.... THEN I will be going Purple. (Possibly deep purple).

This post was edited by Hieromonk at March 9, 2015 8:10 AM PDT
    • 38 posts
    February 22, 2015 8:55 PM PST

I share the same thoughts as Raidan, but am confident that the team will do well.

More than anything, I am just really curious how multicolored mana will be integrated into the UI, even though that's quite a ways off. Bars seem really old fashioned--will the team do something interesting with that, or will they just be a bunch of colored bars? In any case, hopefully the UI is customizable like TESO. Even though TESO is really, really bad, the minimalistic UI they have is great.

• 671 posts
    February 22, 2015 11:20 PM PST
    Vortikai said:

I share the same thoughts as Raidan, but am confident that the team will do well.

More than anything, I am just really curious how multicolored mana will be integrated into the UI, even though that's quite a ways off. Bars seem really old fashioned--will the team do something interesting with that, or will they just be a bunch of colored bars? In any case, hopefully the UI is customizable like TESO. Even though TESO is really, really bad, the minimalistic UI they have is great.

I don't see a design level thingies being an issue. (just some evening skunkworks)

ie: The brightness & radiant glow from One's "mana-gem", might be all the indication of full charge, etc. Or, using the loudness of the crackle of the spells... and softens as the mana pool drains. Instead is staring at a specific mana bar.. or at your UI at all.

I see two pools:

1) Pure mana, or white mana.

2) multi-color mana, or prismatic-mana. (my choice "colorless")

The idea behind this, is that you have unfettered traditional form of magic, and then rarer forms of mismatched dynamic magic, focused as rebuttals and geared for specific situations.

Mana formula:

White

Colorless + trinket (hue catalysts)

I imagine pure White magic as always being more forceful & encompassing, while Colorless mana looses some of it's power due to having to be filtered through some sort of catalyst. But more focused for a specific purpose. So that depending on the type of spell, the quality of catalyst and the skill of the caster... Pantheon could have a myriad of flash-heroes, if conceived well.

Trinket: being anything from a focus item, necklace, gem, artifact... that has some special magical properties that allow (for novice or master depending on object, etc) to tap into the "prismatic colors" within the pure white mana stream.. giving out a specific color. You could have several trinkets on your person, used for different spells, or types of spells.

To take the lore to even greater depths, perhaps some opposing catalysts (trinkets) themselves, can not be near each other, making it difficult to wield two opposing type of magic, etc.  Endless...

Or, some lore along those^ lines.... ; ]

This post was edited by Hieromonk at February 22, 2015 11:44 PM PST
    • 133 posts
    February 24, 2015 4:31 PM PST

WHAT THE HECK CHRISTMAS IN FEB??!!??

Well that's how it sure felt to me watching the latest video and reading this update.

The dream of Vanguard returning is slowly fading.....Replaced by Pantheon's birth.

• 8 posts
    February 28, 2015 2:53 PM PST

Fantastic news Brad, can you tell us if character customization is currently being worked on. I'm hoping that you guys go for sliders like SWG had as I truly hate to see hundreds of clones running about.

• 308 posts
    February 28, 2015 5:21 PM PST
    Sevens said:
    Raidan said:
    Sevens said:

Maybe a "Bloodmage" isnt there, but could you create your own?

A wizard who searches for spells to heal and sustain his group....gathering the needed items to be able to use white (cleric) mana

Yeah it's a neat concept, and I am eager to see how it plays out.  It will be a very fine line between class balancing / class interdependence and people seeking out the needed items to obtain specalizations.  The only real fear I have with class specializations is regardless of the mechanics behind obtaining specializations (talent tree, ability points, items, etc.) I can't forsee a path without cookie-cutter builds/specializations ultimately - i.e. the best cleric is 80% white magic and 20% red magic and the specializations just become more gimmicky.  The cynic in me would be happy to be proven wrong though.

I share the same fears, this is something we will just have to wait and see on

in any game with customizable builds this will always happen. in SWTOR I was ostracised for a few weeks from groups because i didnt have the "build of the day" until i started getting invited to pugs by guildies, afterwards i was getting tells for my consular healer soon as i logged in, i also noticed that a week or so after i started grouping heavy my build showed up as the #1 healer build in the building guides.

i guess what i am saying is that the best build is the one that you are comfortable with. eventually good players with oddball builds will remove the Illusion of a "Best Build"

This post was edited by Gawd at March 9, 2015 8:11 AM PDT
    • 3016 posts
    May 2, 2018 10:38 AM PDT

This is a pretty old thread, are we still going to be doing State of the Game announcements? :)

• 3237 posts
    May 2, 2018 11:18 AM PDT

Joppa said:

Raidan said:
    Sevens said:

Maybe a "Bloodmage" isnt there, but could you create your own?

A wizard who searches for spells to heal and sustain his group....gathering the needed items to be able to use white (cleric) mana

Yeah it's a neat concept, and I am eager to see how it plays out.  It will be a very fine line between class balancing / class interdependence and people seeking out the needed items to obtain specalizations.  The only real fear I have with class specializations is regardless of the mechanics behind obtaining specializations (talent tree, ability points, items, etc.) I can't forsee a path without cookie-cutter builds/specializations ultimately - i.e. the best cleric is 80% white magic and 20% red magic and the specializations just become more gimmicky.  The cynic in me would be happy to be proven wrong though.

I hear your concerns, but it won't work that way.

Class Design is my main focus right now (when I'm not making videos ;)), and I can say that we'll be pursuing specializations in a very unique way, in a way that is hard to infer from what Brad posted, though he was intentionally writing it that way since we're not totally ready to share the details yet.

Yes, there will most likely be ways for, let's say, a Cleric whose core mana is White, to uncover a Dark/Black mana Sigil deep in the heart of a dungeon. That Sigil may grant the Cleric a relatively minor amount of Dark mana (since it's only one item), but the Cleric doesn't have any Dark Mana spells to cast. So maybe a month or two down the line, a Dark Mana spell drops and the Cleric picks it up. Now he has an item that grants Dark Mana, and a spell that uses Dark Mana. This is one tier of how the multi-mana system will likely work. You have the chance, as any given class, to earn the means of using spells outside of your typical spell pool. The spells gained in this way will likely be very potent, but they will also be fairly limited. Limited in use because your resource pool is so small. Limited Lore-wise as well, in this case, a Cleric casting a Dark Mana spell would likely have a significantly detrimental effect on him, and would have to be used sparingly.

However, the true Class Specialization arm of the multi-mana system will work differently than this, by actually homogenizing your core mana color with a new mana color. This is where I could rattle off endlessly with excitement and juicy details, but I have to wait a bit longer, and so do you ;)

Would love to see this discussion continued.  I'm highly interested in anything/everything related to class descriptions, colored mana, or specialization.  Bring on the juicy details!

• 24 posts
    May 11, 2018 12:10 AM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

This is a pretty old thread, are we still going to be doing State of the Game announcements? :)

They seem to be doing the monthly newsletters instead. 

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    May 11, 2018 12:58 PM PDT

Broflex said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Y'all necroing threads?

We had one in February. http://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_february_state_of_the_game/ so it's only been 3 months. BUT... We're about due for one soon — so stay tuned. cc: @joppa. 

• 56 posts
    May 11, 2018 2:24 PM PDT

Damn Roenick, you dont let anyone rest!

• 3016 posts
    May 11, 2018 7:01 PM PDT

Roenick said:

Broflex said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Y'all necroing threads?

We had one in February. http://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_february_state_of_the_game/ so it's only been 3 months. BUT... We're about due for one soon — so stay tuned. cc: @joppa. 

According to Kilsin it is perfectly alright to necro old threads....hehehe.