Forums » News and Announcements

Round Table Discussion Questions

This topic has been closed.
    • 671 posts
    January 15, 2015 9:53 AM PST
    Aradune said:
    Treyekh said:

First a comment if you'll permit me.

Brad is on record for saying he does not like camp style XP groups and they will not be included in Pantheon

I'm a huge fan of camp style experience. Right now, I'm playing P1999 while visiting with my wife in the living room. I'm engaged with the group while our monk pulls but am also able to visit with her between pulls. It allows for very, very engaging conversation and if I may, conversation that you likely won't have without camp style experience. It also permits people who aren't 'actively' able to play to still participate in a more 'passive' way. I'm not precisely sure how you'd combine the camp style with mobile style, but it would be nice if both were permitted or supported.

And now for my question. 

Are there concrete plans for the pricing model once complete? Are we looking at F2P or Monthly subs? (for the record, monthly subs are a far better idea imo).

I'm personally not a fan of sitting in one place for hours, waiting for a spawn.  That does not rule out that some encounters still won't be like that though.  

What was great about such "camps"... , was the elevated responsibilities and gravity of those situations. When monks were pulling, and after 2 hours you get a pattern down... an efficiency. Made for smiles and noteworthy friends. A chemistry..

The propensity, to make it better next time, is in all of us...  & it was this perfection that kept us plugging on. Also, lets not forget the repetitive pulling to "camps" was because roaming around would get you... and everyone else in the dungeon killed. I loved EQ's mobs aggression & detection. I don't think it should be toned down for Pantheon either. But hard to break camps, made for some life long friends & guild members.

Additionally, as you may have been eluding to, AI can fill a big roll in thwarting "camps"....   or, will it only make them more interesting... : ]

This post was edited by Hieromonk at February 26, 2015 8:51 PM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 15, 2015 5:29 PM PST

We've had a great turnout from the community for this first round table, and I must say we have an excellent and challenging list of questions to cover! Thanks to all of you for putting good and careful thought into these questions and we hope to do our best to answer them well. Also, thanks to Kilsin for monitoring this thread and doing an excellent job of recording the various questions from this thread into an easy to read document that we will use tonight for the recording!

I wanted to take minute to say that, being our first attempt at doing something like this, we are expecting things to not go completely smoothly or according to plan in every regard. But we're excited and we think this is a significant step forward towards involving this community in the development of the game you all love and support. So thank you again for your contributions, which prove to us again and again how much each of you (vocal or not) care about Pantheon!

• 999 posts
    January 15, 2015 5:55 PM PST
    Joppa said:

We've had a great turnout from the community for this first round table, and I must say we have an excellent and challenging list of questions to cover! Thanks to all of you for putting good and careful thought into these questions and we hope to do our best to answer them well. Also, thanks to Kilsin for monitoring this thread and doing an excellent job of recording the various questions from this thread into an easy to read document that we will use tonight for the recording!

I wanted to take minute to say that, being our first attempt at doing something like this, we are expecting things to not go completely smoothly or according to plan in every regard. But we're excited and we think this is a significant step forward towards involving this community in the development of the game you all love and support. So thank you again for your contributions, which prove to us again and again how much each of you (vocal or not) care about Pantheon!

Question for Joppa or Kilsin - Where/When is this roundtable occuring?  Or will it be pre-recorded podcast style and then uploaded to the site at a later date?

Thanks - and looking forward to it

• 9115 posts
    January 15, 2015 6:00 PM PST
    Raidan said:
    Joppa said:

Question for Joppa or Kilsin - Where/When is this roundtable occuring?  Or will it be pre-recorded podcast style and then uploaded to the site at a later date?

I am fairly certain it is podcast style, which Chris and the guys are working on as we speak. It will be posted to these forums and our usual social media outlets FB/Twitter etc.

• 3016 posts
    January 15, 2015 11:00 PM PST
    Kilsin said:
    Raidan said:
    Joppa said:

I am fairly certain it is podcast style, which Chris and the guys are working on as we speak. It will be posted to these forums and our usual social media outlets FB/Twitter etc.

Great looking forward to it. :)

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 16, 2015 11:24 AM PST

Hey everyone!

I wanted to stop by quickly to say that last night's round table was a blast and we covered a lot of ground - around 2 hours worth! There's a bit of editing to do and other post production, but hopefully the finished recording will be available for the community tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your contributions!

• 132 posts
    January 16, 2015 11:32 AM PST
    Joppa said:

Hey everyone!

I wanted to stop by quickly to say that last night's round table was a blast and we covered a lot of ground - around 2 hours worth! There's a bit of editing to do and other post production, but hopefully the finished recording will be available for the community tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your contributions!

*Two thumbs up!*

• 378 posts
    January 16, 2015 12:40 PM PST

Can't wait Jops

• 453 posts
    January 16, 2015 1:05 PM PST

Looking 4ward to it man ! 

• 671 posts
    January 16, 2015 1:59 PM PST

Oddly, I am pretty excited to see the cross-chat between the Developers.

• 208 posts
    January 16, 2015 3:25 PM PST
    Joppa said:

Hey everyone!

I am glad to hear that the Roundtable podcast has happened but this phrase right here has me slightly worried/concerned.  The one thing I liked about the first round tables was that there was no real editing involved.  If there was a slip of the tongue it happened and the Dev had to either backtrack or cover it up in some way or just apologize and say "I messed up with that."   Maybe I am pessimistic/paranoid over this but when one of the tenets was "openness" editing of a video recording makes it seem like the r4oundtable is not meant for the supporters but for the investor's/media people...

• 9115 posts
    January 16, 2015 4:59 PM PST
    Sogotp said:
    Joppa said:

Hey everyone!

I am glad to hear that the Roundtable podcast has happened but this phrase right here has me slightly worried/concerned.  The one thing I liked about the first round tables was that there was no real editing involved.  If there was a slip of the tongue it happened and the Dev had to either backtrack or cover it up in some way or just apologize and say "I messed up with that."   Maybe I am pessimistic/paranoid over this but when one of the tenets was "openness" editing of a video recording makes it seem like the r4oundtable is not meant for the supporters but for the investor's/media people...

There is nothing to worry about. :)

We have been getting a lot of media coverage with the last Podcast that Joppa did with a lot of very positive feedback and the team just wants to put a polished and professional sounding Podcast out for everyone. If you listened to Joppa's last Podcast you would've noticed the Pantheon music pieces edited into it, this is what Chris means by Post Production and editing. (editing little things out like interferences and adding music at the right time etc.)

This is of course for the community but we also are at a stage where we would like to attract an investor, so everything we put out we will want it to be the best product it can possibly be and things like this plus the reactions to them are important to us, so you will get honest and openness in all of our work but we want to make that work of the best quality possible for you guy's and anyone watching that may be interested in backing us.

• VR Staff
    • 176 posts
    January 16, 2015 9:04 PM PST
    Sogotp said:
    Joppa said:

Hey everyone!

No worries Sogo! Kilsin nailed it - by edits I mean mainly removing excessive "dead air" where no one is speaking for whatever reason + pops/clicks/distortions, which add up over 2 hours worth of recorded material! Rest assured, all of the human elements of these recordings will remain intact, with post production focusing on music and polish (mastering the audio into broadcast quality).
    • 311 posts
    January 17, 2015 7:50 AM PST

What time today do you think it will be out Joppa this morning or more towards the evening?

• 311 posts
    January 17, 2015 7:47 PM PST

I have a question for the next round table but maybe this could be answered here. Will there be multiple areas like in VG to quest like in your 20's you had the ant hill, trengal keep, skrillen point, Lord Tsang's tomb, Hillsberry manor, ect. So what I'm try to say is we weren't all forced down one valley (so to speak) fighting for mobs and named. If you look at Rift this may have been one of it's biggest problems. Everyone pretty much had to go the same way, fight the same things with Rifts poping here and there but most people were in the same area. Which makes it feel confined with no real way to go off the beatin path like VG and probably EQ. You had the choice of Hitting a dungeon you had never been in cause you're an altaholic and had a death wish. 

• 311 posts
    January 18, 2015 8:48 AM PST
    Kazingathi said:

I have a question for the next round table but maybe this could be answered here. Will there be multiple areas like in VG to quest like in your 20's you had the ant hill, trengal keep, skrillen point, Lord Tsang's tomb, Hillsberry manor, ect. So what I'm try to say is we weren't all forced down one valley (so to speak) fighting for mobs and named. If you look at Rift this may have been one of it's biggest problems. Everyone pretty much had to go the same way, fight the same things with Rifts poping here and there but most people were in the same area. Which makes it feel confined with no real way to go off the beatin path like VG and probably EQ. You had the choice of Hitting a dungeon you had never been in cause you're an altaholic and had a death wish. 

Well guess this got answered in the round table. Sounds like you will try to make enough content to be like VG sounds great team. Getting me more excited to play. I also think this is what kept VG alive till APW came out all the content, but I also think it was crafting and diplo that helped.

• 311 posts
    January 18, 2015 8:31 PM PST

Ok new question for the round table.

I know it's been said that crafting may have to wait till after the game comes out, but are you going to try and get some stuff implemented before the game is out? This question could also be asked about diplomacy. I believe crafting should be in at launch and hoping to get the money to do it if that is all we need. I also know a few people have even offered their services to help get crafting up and going.

Thanks for your time and any info that you can give. 

• 999 posts
    January 21, 2015 5:46 PM PST

Question 2:  3 cities starting city hubs with teleports?

Back in early August I had raised the question/discussion in a separate thread that I thought the idea of only have 3 starting cities would be immersion breaking and a bad idea.  During the thread, there was clarification by BlueEyedGator that there would be 9 villages in addition to the 3 starting city hubs (for a total of 12); however, the ports remain fully in effect.

My question is, is this still in the works or has the idea of only having 3 major hubs with surrounding villages changed since the turnover to the 3rd development team?  And, if so, how are the teleports going to be used that will not be immersion breaking or reduce the "meaningful travel." etc.  Basically, what are your thoughts on how this can be implemented successfully without destroying a new player's experience and ultimately making the game world seem much smaller.

I've pasted a link to the original thread below for reference:

https://pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1108/3-starting-cities?page=1

• 208 posts
    January 26, 2015 9:25 AM PST

Here is a saying that I fully expect will make someone's signature but I thought it was fitting regarding what was said in the round table... With great quests come great Rewards..

My next question for the next round table discussion has two parts.. When someone says that they are world building, what does world building mean? Does world building include the various systems in the game such as combat system, weather system, chat systems, mob spawning system, time system, etc or is it strictly building the various zones and dungeons of the world?

This might have been mentioned in the first roundtable, if it was I missed it though.. if it was answered before I will ask a different question..

• 999 posts
    February 6, 2015 3:30 PM PST

Questions 3, 4, & 5:  Class/Race Descriptions; Concept Art; Death Penalty Mechanics

3.  There hasn't been much discussion relating to class/races since the Kickstarter and shortly after.  I'm curious to where the class design stands and what is intended moving forward?  Will the classes be more EQ/VG like in that they have just one designed path, or, will the initial design from the Kickstarter be in place where there will be two paths for each class?

4.  Further, as I feel that at the foundation for each MMO is the lore/concepts for each race/class and their associated starting cities/regions,  I would think that prior to any quests (or even zone development) that the idea of how the race/class looks and feels would be needed.  So, with that said, is any concept art for the classes going to be released in the near future?  I know the Ogre Concept art had been released with the first team - is that art still valid with the current vision?

5.  How is Pantheon's death penalty going to be?  I've heard harsh and that death will mean something like EQ, but that is still extremely subjective.  To me, that means serious exp less (and level loss if you have no buffer), and naked corpse retrieval.  To others, that means experience loss with no loss of level and no corpse retrieval.  I'm curious to know where the current development team stands as I hope that is the team that remains through the launch so the vision will remain consistent from this point forward.

Question 6 & 7:  General Topics: Status Update? and Crowdfunding

6.  Status Update - Where are we at?  A true and accurate portrayal of where Pantheon's Development is at - no sugar coating.  Such as we are approximately 15% complete, we have XYZ done.  I want to be able to share with others where Pantheon is at, but currently, I have no way to do so - I can only give vague responses and refer to a video. Refer to #7 though, if Crowdfunding isn't a priority, then ignore this question.

7.  Crowdfunding - Is Pantheon's team still seeking it, or is obtaining an investor the only goal now (or both methods?).  I understand the need for quality, but crowdfunding needs transparency and crumbs.  Without it, you will lose interest and the community will move on.  If both are still being sought after, I would release small quality crumbs in between the larger meaningful updates (doesn't always have to be a screenshot).

*Edit - I'm including titles in my posts so the team knows what questions I am posting, not intending to say these will be questions 1-7.  I will continue editing this post as I have time/think of others if I don't see any more questions raised.

This post was edited by Raidan at February 26, 2015 4:51 PM PST
    • 238 posts
    February 6, 2015 3:59 PM PST

Question 2:

How will Alternate Advancement (AA) work? Are we looking at an EQ system where there are no hard cap to what you can earn or is it closer to an EQ2 style with a more selective approach where the game prevents you from being able to earn them all?

• 9115 posts
    February 6, 2015 5:18 PM PST
    Raidan said:

Questions 3, 4, & 5:  Class/Race Descriptions; Concept Art; Death Penalty Mechanics

3.  There hasn't been much discussion relating to class/races since the Kickstarter and shortly after.  I'm curious to where the class design stands and what is intended moving forward?  Will the classes be more EQ/VG like in that they have just one designed path, or, will the initial design from the Kickstarter be in place where there will be two paths for each class?

4.  Further, as I feel that at the foundation for each MMO is the lore/concepts for each race/class and their associated starting cities/regions,  I would think that prior to any quests (or even zone development) that the idea of how the race/class looks and feels would be needed.  So, with that said, is any concept art for the classes going to be released in the near future?  I know the Ogre Concept art had been released with the first team - is that art still valid with the current vision?

5.  How is Pantheon's death penalty going to be?  I've heard harsh and that death will mean something like EQ, but that is still extremely subjective.  To me, that means serious exp less (and level loss if you have no buffer), and naked corpse retrieval.  To others, that means experience loss with no loss of level and no corpse retrieval.  I'm curious to know where the current development team stands as I hope that is the team that remains through the launch so the vision will remain consistent from this point forward.

Question 6 & 7:  General Topics: Status Update? and Crowdfunding

6.  Status Update - Where are we at?  A true and accurate portrayal of where Pantheon's Development is at - no sugar coating.  Such as we are approximately 15% complete, we have XYZ done.  I want to be able to share with others where Pantheon is at, but currently, I have no way to do so - I can only give vague responses and refer to a video. Refer to #7 though, if Crowdfunding isn't a priority, then ignore this question.

7.  Crowdfunding - Is Pantheon's team still seeking it, or is obtaining an investor the only goal now (or both methods?).  I understand the need for quality, but crowdfunding needs transparency and crumbs.  Without it, you will lose interest and the community will move on.  If both are still being sought after, I would release small quality crumbs in between the larger meaningful updates (doesn't always have to be a screenshot).

*Edit - I'm including titles in my posts so the team knows what questions I am posting, not intending to say these will be questions 1-7.  I will continue editing this post as I have time/think of others if I don't see any more questions raised.

Thanks for the titles Raidan, it makes my job easier :)

Please post a new question each time instead of updating your previous post (just for this question thread) as I may miss any updates as more questions come rolling in and new pages are formed.

I have recorded these above questions though so just for any new ones please post them in a new post.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at February 7, 2015 11:23 AM PST
    • 144 posts
    February 6, 2015 6:26 PM PST

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

Above is a link to what a DDOS attack is for those who don't know.

My newest question for the team.

I would like to see this addressed.  Please 

Can DDOS attacks be avoided and if so how?  If you can tell us.

What will Pantheon do to negate DDOS attacks to protect its servers?

As a consumer what should I do or be worried about when a DDOS attack happens?

This brought to by the current DDOS happening right now on the game I play whilst I wait for Pantheon.

~Chaam

• 238 posts
    February 6, 2015 10:16 PM PST

Question 3:

I know the development team has adjusted several times over the last year so my question is what if anything is no longer part of the vision that might have been before.  If it was mentioned by someone that’s no longer on the team is it still considered valid or has some ideas potentially faded or been altered.

Example I know some of the playable races that where mentioned at one point have changed (I’m quite happy with the current races).

• 999 posts
    February 7, 2015 8:20 AM PST

Question 8:  Roundtables (and other Developer Interaction)

Instead of having the community grasp at straws for questions to ask or forum threads to create - could a developer focused roundtable discussion take place?  The developer interaction wouldn't be required consistently, just simply the topic choice and moderator interaction to make sure the topic stays on track.

For Example, Death Penalty is the mechanic on the table for the month - hash it out, and the forum discussion/polls will be reviewed?  It would generate more productive, focused community discussion as well as potential new member interest if you were to link it through external sources such as Facebook, etc.