Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Adjustable level system?

• 146 posts
    December 23, 2023 2:35 PM PST
    I've started playing Wakfu, a tactical turn-based mmo. They've implemented an adjustable level system (ALS) that I think most MMO's, including Pantheon, could greatly benefit from having. The way it works, each character can make templates for their characteristics (skill points), spells (they also use limited action set), and gear in set 15 level increments starting at level 20. So templates for level 20, 35, 50, etc. in all 3 of those categories. What this means is that in a lvl 35 gear template, you can save any gear that is lvl 35 or less. For the lvl 35 spell template, you save the LAS for spells/masteries available up to lvl 35.

How would this look in pantheon?

- With only 50 levels, a 15 level increment would be too much. Maybe 10 or 5?

- As far as I'm aware, Pantheon doesn't have attribute points so the characteristic template is irrelevant leaving only the spell and gear template.

- Exp given per mob is proportional to your real level so adjusting down isn't a punishment.

- Gear used in templates must be kept. Not sure how VR would want to handle inventory space for it.

Why would this be beneficial to Pantheon?

- Makes it super easy to group with beginners or lower level friends without trivializing content

- Drastically increases replay value for lower level zones, keeping all content relevant as people farm drops for all their level sets or explore other continents at appropriate levels

- Easier to gate content by level if desired by VR (ex. a level 30 raid boss) without having people feel they missed out and keeping those drops relevant as well

- Huge boon to the economy and the crafting/gathering community at all levels

- For VR, no need to figure out level adjustment formulas for mentoring systems that simply reduce your level while keeping your high lvl gear/spells

Is this something you would like to see in Pantheon?
    • 810 posts
    December 24, 2023 12:46 AM PST
    I have always wanted to do away with most levels in the MMO. Get to 10 and call it peak level. Focus on gaining abilities and side grades, not number go up.
    • 1279 posts
    December 24, 2023 10:36 PM PST

There are some MMO's out there that have removed "levels" and have attempted to go a different route.  I haven't personally enjoyed them, or not one that I've tried yet anyway.  I'm sure someone will come up with something amazing some day.

• 146 posts
    December 25, 2023 9:18 AM PST
    I'm in the camp that enjoys the leveling process more than the endgame at times so I don't want levels removed. I love the sense of progress that comes with levels. The motivation to see new zones that can one shot me because of the level difference would disappear with the removal of levels.

I just think it's super important to acknowledge people will never be on the same schedules at all times. The ability to group with everyone below you without degrading their experience of the content is huge for the continued growth of the game. Not to mention it's a fantastic way for veterans to help the influx of new players while also benefiting through continued xp or potential upgrades. Those lower level LFG's are more likely to get answers when it's seen as still progressing your current character.
    This post was edited by Feastycentral at December 25, 2023 9:21 AM PST