Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

It's over

• 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 11:39 AM PDT
    Star Citizen changed and is releasing Squadron 42

Chronicles of Elyria changed to Kingdoms of Elyria

Ashes of Creation changed to Apocalypse

And now Pantheon has 247

See a pattern here? There are many more, these are just some popular MMO’s. All these crowd funded games never released. They all had to pivot to something else. In all these cases the real game is still vaporware.

Even if Pantheon releases something. It won’t be what we were promised. We have been drinking the Kool-Aid for 10 years. We are like people in a cult. We just keep believing the nonsense our leader is telling us, but we are headed towards a Jonestown moment where eventually it will end. Luckily, we will only lose some money and not our lives.

Look, I honestly think VR tried to do the right thing, they didn’t scam us, they just tried to do something that can’t be done. Which is to build a quality MMORPG for less than tens of millions of dollars. A project this big needs money. They don’t have it. AAA mmo titles often spend $100-200 million. On the latest Q&A that Pantheon released they admitted there is ONLY ONE full time developer working on the game. And that is Joppa himself. Last year they had 24 full time, and 35 total. Now they have 1. Think about that for a moment. These are facts stated by VR.

VR is out of money. It’s over folks. 247 is 1 zone, half completed, and looks empty when you watch the video. They have nothing. It’s over.
    This post was edited by Sweety at October 29, 2023 11:45 AM PDT
    • 1284 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:46 PM PDT

Just to clarify, Joppa said he's the only full time designer.  There are many full time employees and developers, a designer is a specific role at VR.  

• 2419 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:51 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

Just to clarify, Joppa said he's the only full time designer.  There are many full time employees and developers, a designer is a specific role at VR.  

More accurately, people who are putting in full time hours but not getting paid for full time work. 

• 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:54 PM PDT
    Thanks for clarifying. Still, it's over. The game will never release as we expect. And, yes people not getting paid is tragic. This just shows they are desperate and have no funding.
    • 1284 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:56 PM PDT

It also shows how much they believe in it.  Which is pretty powerful.

• 226 posts
    October 29, 2023 12:57 PM PDT
    That's certainly one way to spin it embarassed
    • 1284 posts
    October 29, 2023 1:25 PM PDT

I don't know what all this talk about "spinning" things is, but it seems everyone keeps using this phrase lately haha.  I like to look at things in multiple ways, and in general if one side is already pointed out I like to point out the other side(s).

• 185 posts
    October 29, 2023 1:56 PM PDT
    Vandraad said:
    Ranarius said: Just to clarify, Joppa said he's the only full time designer. There are many full time employees and developers, a designer is a specific role at VR.
    More accurately, people who are putting in full time hours but not getting paid for full time work.
    I have to think its been the reverse of this. They have been working veeery much part time for years while paying themselves full time salaries untill recently when funding ran out (hence the switch to a cartoon game to monetize kids). They have 30 some employees, how many of these are "executies"? Directors of Communication? Human Resources? etc etc. Verses how many are actually building out the game? Reading Cohh's twitter post about Pantheon.
    He ends with a plea to "buckle down" and finish the game. They are clearly not putting full time hours into this and never have. Its been an ATM machine for VR staff to play "Executive" for 10 years.
    • 560 posts
    October 29, 2023 10:14 PM PDT
    Only time will tell for sure on what can and will happen. But even if/when they finishing Pantheon the situation that VR finds itself in now will never be a good one. It has always been clear to me that what they are trying to build with the resources available is an immense challenge that many others would have failed at from the beginning let alone get as far as they have.

But it is hard to both say hey were are in trouble for lack of money and also get people to donate/invest more money. My hope is they will continue to prove that no matter what they will trudge on to the finish line. They are building what I consider the last hope of MMOs and I for one want to see it completed. I have donated like the rest of you and will continue to root for the team and for Pantheon. What else can I do? I see no point in hitting them when they are down. I have no interest in getting my money back. I do not even think they should have too give money back. We paid for them to try and by god they have tried.

I do have issues with 247 due to it really being PVP first PVE second game mode. Well that is my opinion anyways. I know they will have a PVE option. But that is the only issue I have. If it was not for my complete distrust of PVP and its effects on PVE game play I would have no issues at all. On the contrary it is a really good idea on how to keep people interested and playing without enough content. I could really see this working as a way to get funds. Again only time will tell if it will help.

But all this hope and lack of criticism from me really boils down to one thing. I have completely lost all faith that any company will ever make a game like Pantheon. No company will ever put so much money into a game for a small slice of the pie. They will continue to invest in games like WoW trying to make everyone happy and failing or PVP games like Ashes of Creation. I have lost count of how many MMOs I have tried hoping to find EQ or Vanguard again. If Pantheon fails my hopes of ever playing a mmo again are over. Pantheon is my one and only hope.
    • 245 posts
    October 30, 2023 5:55 AM PDT
    Star Citizen did not change to release Squadron 42.

Two separate games were always planned by Cloud Imperium Games since 2012; Squadron 42 is the single player story-driven campaign, while Star Citizen is the persistent universe MMO.

Both are being developed in parallel, Squadron 42 is in polishing mode now before release, Star Citizen’s persistent universe has been in open alpha since December 2015 with additional technology, gameplay and content patches being released every quarter.

As you don’t know what you’re talking about at all with regards to this, it’s hard to trust anything you say with any other information.

Your posts here are mainly negative, contain inaccuracies or hyperbole. Really not sure why you’re even here and why you aren’t more productive and positive with your limited time in life.
    This post was edited by Ezrael at October 30, 2023 5:57 AM PDT
    • 226 posts
    October 30, 2023 8:00 AM PDT
    I know it’s hard to walk away from a cult. It’s hard to see VR is leading you to path of vaporware, but it’s over. For me, I’m venting my grievances, as I’ve invested a lot of time emotion and money. It’s my right to do so. And I’ll be doing that.
    • 390 posts
    October 30, 2023 8:43 AM PDT
    You are correct. this game will never release. 247 is a tool to not get sued. people play it. they "released a game" people didn't like it, they closed shop.

We got scammed by their lies. "funded to release" was said by VR many times over the years. They even said something about a "significant investment" withing the last year. that also was a lie.

Anyone still giving VR money is a fool that just wants to throw money in the trash. you will never play pantheon the mmo.

move on. we all got scammed.
    • 252 posts
    October 30, 2023 8:56 AM PDT
    Flapp said:
    You are correct. this game will never release. 247 is a tool to not get sued. people play it. they "released a game" people didn't like it, they closed shop.

We got scammed by their lies. "funded to release" was said by VR many times over the years. They even said something about a "significant investment" withing the last year. that also was a lie.

Anyone still giving VR money is a fool that just wants to throw money in the trash. you will never play pantheon the mmo.

move on. we all got scammed.

No one's requiring you to be here. If you want to move on; go ahead.
    This post was edited by Ruinar at October 30, 2023 8:56 AM PDT
    • 233 posts
    November 4, 2023 11:18 AM PDT
    Star citizen and ashes of creation are both coming out.
    Both look amazing also.
    • 3852 posts
    November 4, 2023 12:33 PM PDT
    You assume those two projects will succeed. You assume this project will not succeed.

All of these are just assumptions. We will see.
    • 226 posts
    November 4, 2023 1:49 PM PDT
    Grimseethe said:
    Star citizen and ashes of creation are both coming out.
    Both look amazing also.

The point is they still worked on other projects, angering the customer.
    • 226 posts
    November 4, 2023 1:51 PM PDT
    dorotea said:
    You assume those two projects will succeed. You assume this project will not succeed.

All of these are just assumptions. We will see.

Yes, we are all assuming. The inevitability of the games success or demise is unknown. Ergo, assumption.