Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Cartoony Art + 247 are a legal maneuver - R.I.P. Pantheon

This topic has been closed.
    • 9 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:50 AM PDT
    I hate to tell all of you who are still desperately holding out hope, but the game we all wanted will never be released. The 247 thing is just their way to avoid getting sued for producing nothing with all our money after they shutter the doors.

Some type of early access thing by itself would be possible to overlook in light of them needing increased cash flow, but the graphics overhaul is a complete deal breaker. If I was 12 years old and wanted to play Fortnite or MMODisney, I’d play those games. I would have honestly preferred EQ1 / P99 graphics to this cartoony garbage. I’m not being hyperbolic. I actually would have preferred those outdated even at the time 1999 graphics. There is a reason people are still playing on P99 in 2023. As limited as the graphics were, they weren’t grotesquely childish and insulting.

Are you guys offering refunds? Sadly I’m just kidding. I know I gambled my money pledging, and as usual I lost.

Many of you will think I’m wrong here… I was about to type “I hope I’m wrong”, but I actually don’t. I’d rather it become vaporware than releasing as an insult to what was promised years ago.

It was a good dream while it lasted. Maybe someday, someone will make a quality MMO again. Maybe I’ll be retired by then and have nothing but time.

R.I.P. Pantheon.
    This post was edited by Gorthul at October 28, 2023 5:54 AM PDT
    • 326 posts
    October 28, 2023 5:58 AM PDT
    The writing is on the wall, and the pattern repeats itself. For our part, we did what we could.
    • 727 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:02 AM PDT
    Note: Current epidemic on these forums is : Defensive Pessimism, it is considered a coping technique used by individuals who set low expectations for situations regardless of prior success. These negative expectations are used to alleviate individuals' anxiety about situations by motivating them to plan ways to avoid the chances of poor outcomes. It protects the individual from expressing optimism that could be used as a sign of naivety in the individual and harm the ego. If subjects are incorrect than the outcome is positive for they gained the object of true desire, if the outcome is negative then they gain the reward of being "correct" in their predictions and the ego is spared harm.
    • 194 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:14 AM PDT
    Prior success for VR is _____

I'll wait for you to fill in the blank, StoneFish.
    • 727 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:22 AM PDT
    justdrop, I don't have to. Your question is masquerading as a self-indulgent pat on the back that is clearly designed to proclaim some semblance of legitimate insight. It's a juvenile tactic I see teenagers use. No insults intended, really, but I'm going to start describing basic unproductive behaviors I see. VR has a long track record of achievement, and you, as well as everyone with access to the forum and site, can use a search feature, or use Google. The ability to perform a search with some success should be routine and simple task. I shouldn't be required to hold anyone's hand and lead them to the answers, unless they are children and require instruction, even then my responsibility as an adult is to teach them HOW to perform a successfully search using the tools available to them, so that they are not reliant upon other.

So NO justdrop, I will not do your work for you.

This post was edited by StoneFish at October 28, 2023 7:23 AM PDT
    • 194 posts
    October 28, 2023 7:28 AM PDT
    StoneFish said:
    justdrop, I don't have to.

You made the claim, the burden lies with you. No proof, no faith. Have a good weekend.

Hey, I even did it without insulting you whatsoever. Perhaps rethink this new strategy of yours.
    This post was edited by justdrop at October 28, 2023 7:35 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    October 28, 2023 8:34 AM PDT
    "VR has a long track record of achievement"

Um .......
    • 727 posts
    October 28, 2023 9:46 AM PDT
    Again I am asked for the answers. To hold your hand and guide you to the thing that would render my statement sufficient to change your mind. Simultaneously you do not really want me to do this.
    There is no burden of proof to be applied because there is no legal burden. This is not a case before a court of law. It is a game forum.
    Now, I do desire that you modify your behavior.

There is a story about people living in a cave, it is called the allegory of the cave.
    I charge you all with the idea that we are the ones in that cave. We are only seeing the shadows of the actions of those outside the cave.

Have fun
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave#%3A%7E%3Atext%3DThe_Allegory_of_the_Cave%2Cof_it_on_our_nature%22.?wprov=sfla1
    This post was edited by StoneFish at October 28, 2023 9:47 AM PDT
    • 194 posts
    October 28, 2023 9:56 AM PDT
    StoneFish said:
    There is no burden of proof to be applied because there is no legal burden. This is not a case before a court of law. It is a game forum.
    Now, I do desire that you modify your behavior.

Your comment is subject to the court of opinion, and so far you have two people who are questioning the validity of your statements. Either state what VR has done in the past so we can look bad or accept that you wrote a fluff piece that nobody believes. Those are your options, and this is my final response unless you find something, if so I'll apologize.
    This post was edited by justdrop at October 28, 2023 9:56 AM PDT
    • 902 posts
    October 28, 2023 9:57 AM PDT
    Personally, I don't care about the money side of things and whether promises are broken or actions are illegal or not. I knew what I was getting into.

However, its simple to address the "defensive pessimism"; address the legitimate concerns raised by people who got VR to this point.
    This post was edited by chenzeme at October 28, 2023 10:00 AM PDT
    • 1284 posts
    October 28, 2023 10:14 AM PDT

Thanks for your opinions and feedback.  This conversation seems to have veered into something unintended.