Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Ability cast complexity

• 627 posts
    July 31, 2023 1:01 AM PDT
    The latest class showcase has shown a lot of cool class abilities but most of them are pritty simple in term of how they are casted/used stand still and cast for x sec.

Will Pantheon have other type of ability cast types?

Like:
    Channeling
    Hold and release
    While in movement
    Cone abilities
    Ground target
    Ect.

Its an important element that there are some dynamic in how your abilities are used it makes the combat feel more interactive and opens up for more player choice.

Keep up the good work
    • 102 posts
    July 31, 2023 4:12 AM PDT

The abilities showcased are from levels 1-10. Though it is just a hunch, I'm going to guess later abilities will have elements like you're saying. One off the top of my head is cleric casting a physical barrier/blockade.

This post was edited by Brutenga at July 31, 2023 4:12 AM PDT
    • 627 posts
    July 31, 2023 5:49 AM PDT
    It could aswell be a low lvl spell/ability that had a variation like i suggest it should not be somthing that is only connected to higer lvl in my oppinion.

Shaman could have a channeling healing streamer that tricks.

Wizard could have channel fire beam

Rogue / monk could have channel furry of atks

Direlord could channel a life drain

Enchanter could have an on release mezz that function like a last resort oh **** button and would tax a lot of mana due to instant cast.

You get the idea, and I think its important to intruduce these types of variation early on in the game.
    • 724 posts
    July 31, 2023 6:50 AM PDT

Some of those on your list were already shown in streams a while ago iirc:

- enchanter mana steal (channeled beam)

- rogue traps (ground targeted)

- some monk skills (hold to charge then release, longer charge = greater effect)

Not sure about cone effects, but iirc the enchanter spell page mentioned Ghaven's whild display which sounds like a Point Blank AoE. So I guess other directional effects should be possible.

I hope moving while casting will be possible, although I'll probably stand still anyway out of habit while casting :)

• 24 posts
    July 31, 2023 7:46 AM PDT

Instead of the constant sit and stand up to regain mana it would be cooler to have a mana channeling skill, letting you sit and float in midair. It regens a bit faster but has a cooldown.

• 102 posts
    July 31, 2023 8:26 AM PDT

Noxa said:

Instead of the constant sit and stand up to regain mana it would be cooler to have a mana channeling skill, letting you sit and float in midair. It regens a bit faster but has a cooldown.

That's a nifty idea!

• 326 posts
    July 31, 2023 10:03 AM PDT

Noxa said:

Anything that speeds up mana regen is fabulous.

-Channeled mana siphon.

-AoE cone mana drain.

-Ground targeted mana trap.

-Spell absorb mana transfer.

Anything but sitting twiddling my thumbs...

-

• 627 posts
    August 1, 2023 12:31 AM PDT
    In the class showcase especially the shaman their ability so far seem to be stand still and cast. I Hope to see more variation it would make combat more fun.
    • 810 posts
    August 3, 2023 3:18 PM PDT

They have shown off charge attacks, which are similar to channeling in their monk showcase.  Charge up and release for max damage or tap it for a quick attack with lesser effects.  They also had the monk using abiltities that morphed.  Something along the lines of first press was a buff/debuff second press consumed the long term buff for a burst of damage.  A few years back they showed off their AOE targeting system to accomidate ground cover changing where the AOEs radius reaches.  It could smoothly AOE around corners, ground, around rocks, etc.  

Point is VR has some cool mechanics for abilities.  I would assume they have all of your options.