Forums » News and Announcements

April Developer Roundtable - Crafting and Gathering

• 9115 posts
    May 6, 2022 4:50 PM PDT
    Community Manager Ben “Kilsin” Walters sits down with Game Designer David “Nephele” Beach to discuss crafting and gathering in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.

• 17 posts
    May 6, 2022 4:51 PM PDT

Thank you for this!

• 295 posts
    May 6, 2022 10:54 PM PDT

Super nice DRT. 

• 560 posts
    May 6, 2022 10:54 PM PDT

While I craft in every MMO I have ever played I do not consider myself a big fan of crafting. Listening to Nephele talk about crafting has made me curios if I might actually like crafting in Pantheon.

• 1281 posts
    May 8, 2022 10:02 AM PDT

I like the way they plan on implimenting a lot of the crafting systems in Pantheon.

However, I was sad to hear they are not going to have currency weight. A couple years ago on Twitch Poppa said VR changed course and would add it in after I made a case for it, but I take it that will now not happen.

People who like this idea of not having this weight may ask why you would want that in game, it makes it so much easier without it! Well, you could apply that logic to many aspects of the game, couldn't you? Many systems could be dumbed down, made simpler, have less "negative" impact on gameplay, but is that what is best for the long term health?

Coin weight like normal encumbrance of items (and many other more traditional RPG systems) adds a lot of value to the game. It creates social interactions between players because it makes you return to town which is important. I also create systems where players need to make choices and have consequences over what they have to carry. They may need to ask for help or ask for buffs. It creates micro-economies where players may sell items between each other or exchange gold for platinum (at an advantage ot the new player taking the burden of weight).

Every design choice needs to go back to the core game tenants of your game. In this case "being a deeply social game" and ask yourself is this choice going to tick in the direction of social or not. Anytime you create a system, no matter how small or what is seen as trivial (which this particular issue is) this question needs to be asked. If the answer is it moves you away from being social, it shouldn't be added.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 8, 2022 10:14 AM PDT
    • 902 posts
    May 11, 2022 2:31 AM PDT

Yeah, I have played games with coin weight and the way it has been implemented in them is just a pain. If you are encumbered whilst in the middle of a dungeon, the last thing you want to do is return to town. Its bad enough choosing which loot item you are going to disgard or destroy without having to leave coin too. In general, a group pushing through a tough area would not want to stop long and sorting out loot mid dungeon is not a great reason to pause.

Having said that, if coin did have a weight (I know it isnt, but if it did), then purses could be viewed in the same way as bags; differing mats/designs/enchantments could lessen the load. I would be ok with that version.

• 612 posts
    May 19, 2022 6:28 PM PDT

I think Minus pointed out that the main concern with Coin Weight is that while it is immersive and makes sense, it can also take away from the fun. Sometimes a feature like this might make sense in regards to reality, but if it causes players to be having a lot less fun the Dev's need to consider the balance between immersion vs fun.

I do understand the points made by @bigdogchris and in regards to Gear and items you are carrying around, it does make sense that players need to manage their weight. Obviously we should still have an encumbrance system in the game. But in regards to coins, micro-managing your coin weight has always seemed to be just a drag in any MMOs I've ever played. So I hope that they stick to this decision and keep coins outside the encumbrance system.

This post was edited by GoofyWarriorGuy at May 19, 2022 6:29 PM PDT