Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Looking for some non-combat/non-competitive ideas...

• 220 posts
    July 19, 2020 5:37 AM PDT

Besides perception system storylines, building, fishing, farming, crafting, and commerce what are some interesting and innovative non-combat/non-competitive activities you have either seen in a game or have thought of but have never seen actually implemented?

This post was edited by Nekentros at July 19, 2020 5:38 AM PDT
    • 560 posts
    July 19, 2020 12:21 PM PDT

I like the idea of bands being able to rent out inns to play live music or really any performance. I realize this has issues that make it hard to implement but I really like the idea.

I am not sure whose idea this was but it was not mine.

• 1785 posts
    July 19, 2020 10:54 PM PDT

Why is this in off-topic? :)

Here's some others.

1) Music/performance systems

2) Diplomacy systems

3) NPC-driven trade systems (think doing trade caravans, etc).

4) NPC-driven gambling minigames

You said non-competitive but if you wanted you could do a lot of non-combat competitive things as well:

- Various Races

- Fashion Competitions

- "Friendly" games (magical snowball fights, etc)

- PvP gambling minigames (Dragon Poker, anyone?)

In addition, under your headings of storylines, buildings, farming, and crafting there's room for a lot of variation.  some examples:

- Investigation quests - solve a murder or a mystery!

- Build everything from personal houses to taverns to bridges to fortresses (with the help of other players)

- Build vehicles such as wagons, ships, airships, and so on (with the help of other players)

- Ranching and mount breeding/training

Where things start to get interesting is when you combine some of these with adventuring sphere gameplay.

- Hastily build fortifications to hold back the orc advance while other players fight them in the trenches.

- Undertake a diplomatic mission into hostile territory to try and convince a faction to switch sides.

- Follow the clues as to who stole the Amulet of Ryn, and uncover a menacing and diabolical cult and a far greater threat that must be defeated.

- Challenge the corrupt general to a chariot race and then fight off his assassins when he tries to cheat.

- Fight your way to the heart of the warlock's fortress.  Surrounded and vastly overmatched, gamble for your life by trying to beat him in a game of cards.

There are *many* possibilities.

• 220 posts
    July 20, 2020 7:45 AM PDT

Nephele said:

Why is this in off-topic? :)

Well to be honest, my motivation for creating this was because I am working on an educational game in my free time, and I wanted to see if anyone had any cool ideas that I hadn’t already thought of before I moved into the next stage of development.

I actually did consider putting it in general, but I figured someone wouldn't be able to separate the two and would starting complaining about feature creep and all that irrelevant nonsense.  

You've come up with a lot of ideas. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• 1860 posts
    July 20, 2020 6:04 PM PDT

gems and /pizza