Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Kind of Server Would you Play On?

• 10 posts
    June 30, 2020 8:19 PM PDT

I would love to see a ruleset similar to Rallos Zek in eq1 ....

• 500 posts
    July 1, 2020 8:48 AM PDT

philo said:

As I didn't see the original thread before it was changed...

There wont be permadeath servers.  That was talked about a long time ago.

The server I want to join (Though maybe I wont if it is overcrowded because I think it will be very popular)  is an anti-boxing server.

I'm hoping that the standard default for servers is anti-boxing, and that the boxing-allowed is the alternate ruleset. But thats just me :)

This post was edited by Grymmlocke at July 1, 2020 8:49 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    July 1, 2020 11:10 AM PDT

I'd play on a pVe server that cost 3X the normal subscription if it meant a lower population, better GM access and other perks.

• 47 posts
    July 1, 2020 11:21 AM PDT
    Ahh, Vand asking for the Platinum package. What makes you want a lower population, though? Do you think that the game content will be overcrowded at times?
    • 793 posts
    July 1, 2020 12:15 PM PDT

techninja1337 said: Ahh, Vand asking for the Platinum package. What makes you want a lower population, though? Do you think that the game content will be overcrowded at times?

Don't know his reasons, but a lower population gives it a more personal/homey feel.

The early days of EQ1, when server population at night was usually in the 400-800 range. You ran into the same folks often, got to become acquainted with many folks.

Newer games have so many people, you may never see the people you grouped with yesterday again.

When I started EQ, I met up with this wizard in the newbie yard, we grouped up. Then over the next many weeks we seemed to mostly be on the same schedule and grouped up most every night. Then sometime in our early 20's, he disappeared.

When I was in my 40's I was hunting in Dreadlands in Kunark, and ran into this druid haveing a rough time with some spiders, so I ran over and assisted. The druid was like "Fulton!!", I said "Hi?  I know you?". He then proceeed to tell me how we was the wizard from long ago. And that his work schedule suddenly changed so he was working nights and playing days, switched to the druid due to lack of people around during the daytime.

• 79 posts
    July 2, 2020 6:18 PM PDT

aside from a normal pve  server ,i want to have apvp  monster server where you can play a random monster that can lvl up and use items, idk wether or not if they should be able to   zone or not, i think . yes but once you die you die and  have to pick some other monster and you only get to keep some sort of aas, which you only get to earn via pvp.                                                                                                                   

• 47 posts
    July 2, 2020 6:22 PM PDT

Quseio2017 said:

aside from a normal pve  server ,i want to have apvp  monster server where you can play a random monster that can lvl up and use items, idk wether or not if they should be able to   zone or not, i think . yes but once you die you die and  have to pick some other monster and you only get to keep some sort of aas, which you only get to earn via pvp.                                                                                                           

That's a neat idea.  Some kind of dynamic where you can 'spawn in' as a named mob in a hotly contested pvp area and would get your one life to go mess with other players but be neutral to the rest of the mobs in the area.  Maybe these options trigger after a group has camped at a location for x amount of time.  I like it!

• 123 posts
    July 2, 2020 9:50 PM PDT

Team-based PvP would be enjoyable.

• 902 posts
    July 3, 2020 2:23 AM PDT

I would play PVE. PvE Role Play. PvE with heavy death debt. Might toy with PvE perma death. Not bothered with PvP at all.

• 34 posts
    July 3, 2020 9:52 AM PDT

Leet said:

I would love to see a ruleset similar to Rallos Zek in eq1 ....

hear! hear!

This is where I will be... FFA PVP all the way.

• 454 posts
    July 4, 2020 1:44 PM PDT

I would also pay a lot more (2x, 3x) for a lower population, more heavy GM presence server.  If that's not available an RP server with a guild that's more group centric focus. I want to read every word an npc says.  I want to use perception to the max and I want to climb everywhere. I'd like to raid eventually once or twice per week.  I'm not into perma death.  I like to explore, a lot.  Part of the fun is going where I don't really belong, just to see if I can live to tell the tale.  I have fourteen initial race/class/craft characters to start.  It will depend on which combo I like the most, as to what my main will be.  I won't box, I wan5 to group with social people.

• 1 posts
    July 4, 2020 6:32 PM PDT

PvP or PvP-RP. Killing bosses while other people are trying to kill you is the ultimate. Eventually there is a strat for every mob but there are no set strats for the brains of the humans opposing you.

• 2419 posts
    July 4, 2020 7:08 PM PDT

techninja1337 said: Ahh, Vand asking for the Platinum package. What makes you want a lower population, though? Do you think that the game content will be overcrowded at times?

Yes, I believe the world will not be big enough with not enough quality content across the various level spreads that, when combined with the MDD approach for group content, will result in a hugely toxic environment.

I've seen this in many games, where  you start with a newbie zone for every race (or nearly every race) but as you level up you are funneled into fewer and fewer zones until at the level cap you're in just a couple of zones. I'd rather have a world underpopulated, where we, the players, are vastly outnumbered by the NPCs so much so that in the back of your mind you just know that should they all rise up, we'd be wiped out.  Besides, if the world is full of thousands of heroes (that's what PCs see themselves as after all), it makes your own 'hero-ness' that more insignificant.

So yeah, I'l pay big money for an underpopulated server.

• 20 posts
    July 5, 2020 8:51 AM PDT

I'm the primary PVE player with a dash of PVP type. I'll RP a decent bit but won't be on an RP server as its not something I want to do 24/7.

• 2756 posts
    July 5, 2020 2:11 PM PDT

Grambeaux said:

I'm the primary PVE player with a dash of PVP type. I'll RP a decent bit but won't be on an RP server as its not something I want to do 24/7.

You don't have to RP 24/7 on an RP server, just don't break others' immersion.

• 76 posts
    July 5, 2020 3:01 PM PDT

I would think lower Pop servers would be a pain to try and level and find groups! Unless you're on a low pop server in a big active guild. Then maybe I could see the appeal in a lower pop server, but the game play is heavily dependent grouping up and it might be harder to find groups in your area on a low pop server. I'd like to be on a PVE server with medium-high pop myself. That way I could find groups faster and make playing the game more enjoyable for me at least.

• 690 posts
    July 5, 2020 4:21 PM PDT

I would play rp pve and have a character on pvp for when i just wanna see how strong I can be.

A non-casual privately owned rp server like what they do with GTA on twitch would be really cool, even though it would probably be a bit too intense for me.

• 79 posts
    July 7, 2020 12:53 PM PDT

PvE all the way. I enjoy competitive games (CoD, Battlefield, etc.), but for some reason I've never had any interest in PvP in MMORPGs. For me it always seems to detract from the immersion I seek in an MMORPG, making it a more "gamey" experience.

Back in the day I *always* chose an RP server if one were available - not because I like to RP (I'm actually quite terrible at it), but more because they tended to be less prone to some of the silliness that can take me out of the mindset of "intrepid adventurer". These days RP designations don't seem to make any difference.

• 2 posts
    July 7, 2020 8:54 PM PDT

Chogar said:

Team-based PvP would be enjoyable.

I would play on this type of server, especially if it was similar to the Vallon/Tallon Zek ruleset. otherwise, probably just a standard PVE or RP server.

• 70 posts
    July 8, 2020 4:37 AM PDT

RP server.

I don't fear PVP anymore, but I am really bad at it. If there is a PVP server based on roleplay/teams I might go for it, as long as most of the people have a fun RP reason to fight each other and not just for killing.

• 793 posts
    July 8, 2020 4:51 AM PDT

WalkingWaste said:

I would think lower Pop servers would be a pain to try and level and find groups! Unless you're on a low pop server in a big active guild. Then maybe I could see the appeal in a lower pop server, but the game play is heavily dependent grouping up and it might be harder to find groups in your area on a low pop server. I'd like to be on a PVE server with medium-high pop myself. That way I could find groups faster and make playing the game more enjoyable for me at least.

I recall the early days of EQ with much smaller populations were easier to find groups.  People tended to reach out to strangers more as they needed to fill groups, and bonds were formed. As populations get larger, people tend to tighten their circle, and will hold out in hopes of one of their "friends" logs on.

IMHO, games were fun until the mega-guilds began to form. Before thhaat, I recall a plethora of smaller guilds who would often work together at larger tasks, and form alliances. The server felt more like a bunch of small families asll trying to make it in a big worls.

Then server pops grew and it seemed like even though there were people all around me, I was alone. People began keeping most "useful/interesting" chat in /gu, grouping only with close friends and guildmembers, and guild seldom helped each other or worked together. The world was much lorger, but just felt so small.

This post was edited by Fulton at July 8, 2020 4:51 AM PDT
    • 810 posts
    July 8, 2020 8:14 PM PDT
    PVE RP is the way to go. So many games revolve around being an adventurer yet people throw it all away to minmax as a player. Even when players are horrible or toxic they tend to stay off the RP servers more as I think we not only hold grudges in character, but we don't care about progress at any cost. Do you want to piss people off who will spend a day RPing their revenge fantasy?