Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Is your characters...

• 9115 posts
    June 25, 2020 3:50 AM PDT

Community Debate - Reputation - Is your character's in-game reputation important to you or do you act without the worry of consequences? #MMORPG #CommunityMatter

• 228 posts
    June 25, 2020 4:35 AM PDT

My reputation is important, but not because I worry about consequences.

Making friends is an important goal for me, and you don't make friends by acting unfriendly or stupidly.

• 724 posts
    June 25, 2020 4:53 AM PDT

Rep is important.

I want other players to enjoy seeing my character arrive.

Fun fun fun.  That's my aim. 

• 768 posts
    June 25, 2020 5:56 AM PDT

Character reputation  and not player's reputation...

Yes. I'd like that. To walk into a city with a dwarf and be adored and walk in the same city with a halfling and be looked upon. (or vice versa)

I hope to experience in this game that my character's backstory or actions do have an impact.  In many games however, I didn't bother, due to it not having any consequences whatsoever. 

If it actually is implemented well, I will start to pay more attention to npc-dialogues and how I respond 'appropriatly'. For me, it will be another way to get sucked into the game and feel immersed. I'll want to worry about where I spend my time and how with my character's personal goals in mind. It will stimulate the experience of being invested within the game.

This post was edited by Barin999 at June 25, 2020 5:57 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    June 25, 2020 6:20 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Reputation - Is your character's in-game reputation important to you or do you act without the worry of consequences? #MMORPG #CommunityMatter

It's important.  In an MMO, my character is an extension of me.

• 1247 posts
    June 25, 2020 6:42 AM PDT

Rep matters to a point. I mean this is RP, so it's either/or. Games like Classic Trilogy and DAOC were no walk in the park. I hope for strict interaction and strategy again.

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #worldsnotgames #aradune #restoreMMORPG

This post was edited by Syrif at June 26, 2020 8:47 AM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    June 25, 2020 6:47 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

My reputation with the wider community is of little concern.

• 3852 posts
    June 25, 2020 6:50 AM PDT

I try to play on smaller servers. Reputation in the community is important.

• 1273 posts
    June 25, 2020 6:53 AM PDT

This doesn't sound like an either/or question to me.  My reputation will be based on my natural reactions to things (which means I "act without worry of consequences").  And reputation is very important to me.  Hopefully my actions (without worry) have a consequence of a reputation of someone who is comitted to success, willing to try many different approaches, critical thinking, but also low stress, relaxed, funny, friendly, etc.  

• 159 posts
    June 25, 2020 8:59 AM PDT

Kalok said:

Kilsin said:

It's important.  In an MMO, my character is an extension of me.

I agree here with Kalok.  My character is an extension of me.

• 2756 posts
    June 25, 2020 9:28 AM PDT

Talking strictly of my character's in-game reputation, it depends on the character.

I like to role-play some - react and talk in character sometimes for colour.  Some characters are friendly and over-the-top, some are quiet loners. Lots in-between.

But there is nothing worse than someone using 'role-playing their character' as an excuse to be an a-hole, so I never take it too far, even when playing an 'evil' or 'chaotic' character. It's just not fun or funny when it spills over to effect other players having fun.
    • 1479 posts
    June 25, 2020 9:37 AM PDT

As a gamer reputation : Important and good.

As a character reputation : Depending of roleplay, which is also why I avoid gameplay impacting actions in roleplay as they tend to vexate the player behind the character.

• 1247 posts
    June 25, 2020 9:46 AM PDT

^While I was never personally in one (RL friends were), I admit that some of the snobbiest, most arrogant guilds were some of the best. That's just true. I respected both arrogant and family/casual guilds or chars alike. And since Pantheon is bringing back MMORPG as it should be imo, then there will be plenty of room for either. I am looking forward to a very broad and diverse base of chars and guilds again. 

This post was edited by Syrif at June 25, 2020 10:14 AM PDT
    • 945 posts
    June 25, 2020 11:31 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

My character's in-game reputation is more important to me than it is the anyone else in the community.  So I think a deeper question would be "Are other people's reputations important to you?" because that is the only way that there will be "consequences" for people that "should" have bad reputations.  I think many will find that most people just really don't care enough about someone else's reputation as long as that person is not interacting with them specifically.  i.e. there will be no consequences for poor actions that would correct those poor actions if people don't focus on other's reputations.  Most people that would care about other's reputation would be concerned about their own reputation of ruining someone else's reputation over something trivial, and people that go out of their way to ruin someone's reputation are likely people that would have poor reputations themselves given a chance.

Add:  PvP servers will be the only servers to be able to police their own - and that will likely create its own system of rules/pecking order.

This post was edited by Darch at June 25, 2020 11:34 AM PDT
    • 2752 posts
    June 25, 2020 11:39 AM PDT

Generally act without worry, but also don't go around being a jerk. In the end it doesn't matter much, get a decent size guild and enjoy immunity to any wider community attempts to "police."

• 945 posts
    June 25, 2020 11:46 AM PDT

Well said @iksar

• 521 posts
    June 25, 2020 12:04 PM PDT

I’d like my characters reputation to be important, but I don’t see that happening in pantheon.

• 1921 posts
    June 25, 2020 12:20 PM PDT

What Iksar said, yep.

If this question is actually about some in-game mechanic that provides risk/reward or progression via in-game actions that increase/decrease a reputation value?  I would have a completely different answer.

• 51 posts
    June 25, 2020 12:39 PM PDT

Very much so!

• 51 posts
    June 25, 2020 3:13 PM PDT

I try to behave towards others as I would like for them to behave towards me whether in RL or in game. I see no reason for a difference in behavioral standards based on venue. 

That said, there are game characters and roleplay that can necessitate a change. I once played a "thief" as an alter ego character. It was an interesting experiment, but I don't see myself playing any more evil characters. It was just too much of a mind flip for me. Similarly, I stopped playing EVE Online because I found that I just couldn't feel good about myself or other players afterwards. 

• 63 posts
    June 25, 2020 3:29 PM PDT

Player reputation is important to me among the server community because I like to contribute to a positive community. The more friendly and helpful I can be, I feel like the more friendly and helpful the community gets. And that benefits us all.

Character repuation is different because of the RP aspect. Sometimes it is fun to RP an evil class/race and cause mayhem and discord accordingly. However, I rarely do this in an MMO, as I don't play RP servers and so I am just myself despite the class. If, however, Pantheon were to have good/evil decisions built into quest lines that affected how the NPC/environment treated you then I might be inclined to RP that as whatever class/backstory I choose for myself. 

Vandraad said:

My reputation with the wider community is of little concern.

Haha, big surprise there! However, I love it. Adds flavor to the community. It takes all kinds, you know? 

• 1273 posts
    June 25, 2020 3:38 PM PDT

I remember the good ol' days when your reputation was a reflection of your guild's reputation.  And in those days a guild leader would kick someone out of a guild for things like kill stealing or griefing people.  I haven't played an MMO in so long I wonder if that is still the case.

• 63 posts
    June 25, 2020 4:00 PM PDT

@Ranarius

Every MMO I have played had both good guilds and bad guilds. For example, in P99 there always seems to be one guild that is the asshole guild of the server and condones the asshole behavior of the people in the guild. However, most guilds still do not condone such behavior, and will punish people accordingly (at which point, those people often join the asshole guild!) At least that's my experience. 

• 7 posts
    June 25, 2020 6:27 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

I remember the good ol' days when your reputation was a reflection of your guild's reputation.  And in those days a guild leader would kick someone out of a guild for things like kill stealing or griefing people.  I haven't played an MMO in so long I wonder if that is still the case.

I feel like a community as a whole can put pressure on that. One of the never-ending freedoms of video games has always been there really are not many socially scrutinized laws in most cases. I feel like we'd have to put forth an effort as a pre-launch community to tackle this exact type of issue. One of the many warm feelings about gaming is sometimes security of self and objects owned.

• 1428 posts
    June 25, 2020 8:35 PM PDT

(announcer stellar):  best way to get (in)famous?  that's right! 

(the crowd shouts):  PVPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(announcer stellar):  YOU HEARD IT HERE FOLKS!  PVE is the BEST way to get famous!

(the crowd):  BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KILL HIM GET THE THE ANNOUNCER OFF THE STAGE!

(a huge pvp battle takes place)

(announcer stellar):  JABAITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  PVP!  PVP!  PVP!

(the crowd stops in a flurry and chants):  PVP!  PVP!  PVP!

(anouncer stellar):  so RUMOUR HAS IT PA5 is SOON!!!!  HOW SOON YOU ASK!?  AUGUST SOON!!!!!

(the crowds gasps)

(announcer stellar):  DON'T JUST STAND THERE LIKE YA JUST GOT COVID!  LULSZ

(the crowd gets triggered)

(announcer stellar has been fatally wounded)

(announcer stellar):  and... the alpha release... da-- (dies)

(the crowd in horror)