Forums » News and Announcements

5/29 Stream + Perception Storylines video!

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    May 29, 2020 4:01 PM PDT

A two-fer coming at ya!

In last nights stream we took a look at combat animations and how they sync together to make a smooth and enjoyable playing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NM6QDJQ-yI

Now, straight from the the depths of Faerthale, Creative Director Joppa leads us through a basic storyline, outlining how your observation, intuition and persistence can reveal more options in Pantheon's storylines.

https://youtu.be/xCKDgQ7KS1Q

Enjoy the weekend!

This post was edited by Roenick at May 29, 2020 4:06 PM PDT
    • 1993 posts
    May 29, 2020 4:08 PM PDT

Oops. Hey Roenick, it kinda seems like you posted the same stream both posts.

A for effort though :)

NO FAIR! You fixed it while I was posting!!!

Thanks, man :D

This post was edited by Jothany at May 29, 2020 4:09 PM PDT
    • 172 posts
    May 29, 2020 5:02 PM PDT

What was that lvl 24-28 zone i saw in the distance? *ponders*

• 41 posts
    May 29, 2020 5:25 PM PDT

Aayden said:

What was that lvl 24-28 zone i saw in the distance? *ponders*

Yeah. I saw those floating numbers too.  Wondered what they were. Very interesting!

• 4 posts
    May 29, 2020 5:49 PM PDT

Hmm so possible set level zones....I like

• 1281 posts
    May 31, 2020 9:15 AM PDT

In the past they've been using little clicky stones to hook up zones while the world is still being built, so it's probably just a floating label.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at May 31, 2020 9:16 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 2, 2020 7:53 AM PDT

Ok so there were two parts to this latest offering, the Dev stream on the 28th and this quest stream on the 29th.

Iirc project faerthale was the core from which other areas would be built with mechanics and everything.

If thats the case, I really like the nature of the quest/perception system and the branches or choices you can choose from it. At the end Machail has 4 branches and as mentioned if you pass by it the first time you can go back and revisit- which will help in keeping old zones populated- and develop lore. Deep character development as Joppa says. This way, "playing it your way" 4 different people can interact with the same NPC yet have different quests or goals to obtain from the same NPC. Which is cool for a couple of reasons. 1. Current MMO dynamic that has evolved where static groups are not static. the same friends are not always on or, subject to nefarious gaslighters that will try to break up a tight group just to get themselves in. This is why you may want to be able to send mnessages to a friend in real time accross the world but in 2 months never speak to them again- where in game email or discord, or even calling them and keepoing them on speakerphone will do, you dont need to send them a tell, a tell is a whisper. 2. pushing a return to static groups, this may encourage the same group of people to stay together or create more meaningful core groups, where guilds do not just randomly invite individual stray cats but instead invite whole groups who are seen to work well together, and try to incorporate the group as a whole into the guild as a greater whole, and from there try to expand relationships so sharing members of two good groups are seamless, where the two newly made groups function as well as they did with their old friends, to sharing of 5 good groups and back again creating a cohesive greater whole for... raids or whatnot. Of course dealing with personalities all the time.

Likewise PuG members can find they have some common ground for having interacted with the same NPC and need to head to a similar area, but yet have different goals thereby possiblyn eliminating drop competition but encouraging tit-for-tat behavior in that since we are both heading this way and you helped me get the stone of blocking I will help you get the root of smirnoff and once done we, can go back to Vah Mir and see what it says but we will need to crawl through this dungeon first to get those things or maybe set up camp here for a while, and then crawl/fight our way somewhere else. We did not get the root today, I will come back tomorrow and meet you here help you get it, maybe we will meet others to some along. By the way, ny name is....

• 124 posts
    June 2, 2020 2:26 PM PDT

Hints at a new website, and them eluding to how cool the forest would be at night with bioluminescence were nice little chunks of info.

• 31 posts
    June 3, 2020 1:46 AM PDT

I really like the trajectory of the Perception system. Mobs startting to talk to me when I get near them is not compeltely new. We've definately seen it in single player games, but for sure it is a very cool mechanic and breaths life into a world. The way Mchail and Joppa explain things it looks like I'll be reading and thinking about the quest text and maybe, even taking notes!

At one point they start talking about prodginy and the tome keeper stuff being linked... I look forward to seeing where that is going.

A point i agree wholeheartedly with is the 'conditioning' MMO players have been under in new games to expect the '!' noting quest. Its a good idea for VR to put some early quests in play to 'recondition' players - smart move.

Anyhow really looking forward to PA5 anounncement :) Keep up the good work VR.