Forums » Expansion Classes

Blue Mage

• 4 posts
    May 25, 2020 12:18 PM PDT

So what are everyones thoughts on a Blue Mage FFxi style. A mage/wizard that has to learn abilities by copying them from a specific type of enemy/boss. Pantheon would have to come up with a way of doing this to fit into its world but I would love to see this type of class revisited.

This post was edited by bangcok at May 25, 2020 12:21 PM PDT
    • 229 posts
    June 12, 2020 10:41 AM PDT
    I'm not familiar with Blue Mages, though I'm suddenly interested in creating a guild called "Blue Mage Group".

And in answer to your suggestion, it sounds very interesting but also very difficult to design and balance properly. One possible variation would be that it can take / copy a power but only use it for that fight. This changes your idea quite a bit but really helps with balancing it so powerful boss abilities aren't overpowered against regular content.
    • 199 posts
    July 26, 2020 5:26 AM PDT

Honestly, BLU would fit in better with Pantheon than FFXIV (where it has been implemented in a "limited" way - that is still fun, but pretty useless because of that.)

Mainly, because of the bar/slotting system for Pantheon, where you can only take 8 abilities (tentative) into combat anyway.  As long as you avoid the situationally overpowered stuff like "Level 5 Death", BLU is honestly just an interesting class.  The main thing i twould run afoul of in Pantheon is the rigid class identity (every class is supposed to pretty much stick with one role), but there is already a bit of blurring of those lines (Paladin off-healing, Monk off-tanking, etc) that a BLU-like class could fit in.