Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

An old article on death penalty

• 1860 posts
    May 22, 2020 9:03 AM PDT

This is an older write up but it still holds true.  It's something to read to pass the time.  

https://www.wolfsheadonline.com/the-death-penalty-mechanic-and-loss-aversion-in-mmo-design/

This post was edited by philo at May 22, 2020 9:04 AM PDT
    • 384 posts
    May 22, 2020 4:03 PM PDT

Wolfshead has written some great articles concerning mmos - thanks for sharing, I hadn't read that in a long time and it was good to revisit it.  For some reason I seem to recall that he was/is involved in Pantheon's pre-alpha testing but I might be misremembering.

• 810 posts
    May 23, 2020 5:55 PM PDT
    It applies to most changes to MMOs designed to reduce the sense of loss, but it takes something from the game.

Instancing, removing trash mobs so you just go from loot pinyata to loot pinyata in a speed run manner. Everyone gets a reward for participating as well, here is your item currency. If you can make the wrong choice, we will let you do it over. Race changes, talent resets, faction changes, the only role you will play is that of a winner!
    • 844 posts
    May 26, 2020 10:14 AM PDT

It's very 'Millennial-esque'. Everyone gets a ribbon for showing up basically.

He doesn't understand the concept of risk vs. reward and actually developing skills through challenge.