Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - When did you become a Pantheon..

• 119 posts
    April 7, 2020 5:18 AM PDT

I actually can't remember when I decided to pledge, but I followed the game for some time before I did. Been burned by too many kickstarter/crowdfunding projects so I was overly cautious :] Maybe it was ~2 years ago that I finally pledged?

After a lot of thinking I decided I should do it. Brad's games gave me a lot; EQ was how I met my wife, and we went on quite an adventure together IRL from there and even worked in an auxilliary/support capacity on EQ and EQ2 at SOE, so quite a large chunk of good memories from my teens well into my 20's are tied to his and his team's creations. Even if the game doesn't turn out to be exactly what I hope, I'm still happy to have supported it because of my personal history with EQ.

• 500 posts
    April 7, 2020 7:20 AM PDT

I pledged back in August 2016.  I had been looking for a game to scratch that mmo itch for a long time. Heard about Pantheon on the forums for another game, took a look, and liked what I saw... Been here ever since.

• 1399 posts
    April 7, 2020 11:10 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - When did you become a Pantheon community member and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

July 30, 2016

Having sat back in the shadows of most games and watched them devolve into train wrecks I no longer enjoyed, while silently watching the forms and people actually requesting the changes I believed caused the problems. I came to the conclusion it’s my own fault for staying silent. If I wanted a game “I” wanted to play I would at least need to join the conversation and proverbially “cast my vote”

So here I am, to unapologetically put in my 2 copper pieces!

Z

• 1479 posts
    April 7, 2020 11:27 AM PDT

I started following the game in july 2017, having followed an obscure link from someone on GUcomics's forum boards (Which I never read, it was pure hazard). The game appealed me and the streams made me see something I wanted to play on the long run.

Then I waited until early 2018 to pledge as much as I could afford wisely.

Now, what specifically catched me was the races, classes (good ol') and the world that was designed in a way it could support a long term game without beeing suddently too big or too small or too rigid in lore to make expansions fit in.

• 624 posts
    April 7, 2020 8:16 PM PDT

Contributed to Kickstarter, when that failed to launch sent an email asking "what's next?". Then got proper bard blitz'd, composed a song or two, and finally joined up here on Feb 20th 2014, five days after the forums opened. Bards are slackers!

• 134 posts
    April 8, 2020 8:03 AM PDT

I watch a series on YouTube called "Death of a Game" and was listening to an episode about Vanguard, an MMO I had never played, I never played EQ either. This video was made circa late 2017 or early 2018 and I was watching sometime in mid 2018. Nerd Slayer mentioned in the video that Pantheon would be going into Beta soon so of course as soon as the video was over I rushed to the forums and signed up. Here I am still patiently waiting for an Alpha invite. I was way more active on the forums when I first joined, now I get most of my Pantheon news from Bazgrims YouTube channel.

• 39 posts
    April 8, 2020 2:54 PM PDT

I'm not sure exactly when but a buddy told me about Pantheon and I followed this game off and on through 2018 and finally pledged in Nov. of 2018.  I have dabbled with MMO's since EQOA but never found something that really held my interest, Vanguard and Vanilla wow being the 2 exceptions.  The new games coming out are just so hand holdy and you can literally hit end game without saying a word to anyone.  This game promised a return to the challenge and community mindedness that I really enjoy.

• 1281 posts
    April 8, 2020 2:58 PM PDT

I became interested in Pantheon right after Brad announced he was working on a new MMO in 2013. I was part of the group on the FOH boards that helped put together an initial list of ideas for his new game. Many of them are part of the core tenants we see today. I still have it in fact, last edit was January 2014.

• 159 posts
    April 8, 2020 5:38 PM PDT

When:  It was around March or April of 2019....  Would have been sooner, but I am one of those people that totally gave up on MMO's until one day out of total boredom I typed in " upcomming MMo's " & found out about Pantheon now we lead into the why...  Why: Brad, Chris, Ben the whole team...  A slower pace that brings back the true meaning of MMO to the MMO community.    Wished I had know about this game sooner. but I'm here now....  In the words of Leia: Help me, VR you're my only hope.                                                                                                                                                                                                            

• 238 posts
    April 11, 2020 3:55 PM PDT

I've been following since early 2016.

As for why I am really sick of this solo mentality that has sprung up in MMOs over the last decade. I believe MMOs were created to bring people together during their gaming sessions not create a solo based experience in an MMO environment. I have also not been a huge fan of the extreme homogenization that has arisen in many of the mainstream MMOs. When I saw Pantheon was taking inspiration from EverQuest I had (and still have) hope that it could (can) bring change into the current MMO environment. 

This post was edited by Baldur at April 11, 2020 3:56 PM PDT
    • 429 posts
    April 11, 2020 4:14 PM PDT

Before these forums , What date ? geez to much wacky weed :)

• 768 posts
    April 11, 2020 11:58 PM PDT

I signed up in june 2016. I've been following the game when EQLandmark was crumbling down and my testing days there were coming to an end.

Upgraded my pledges along the way. 

• 220 posts
    April 12, 2020 9:12 AM PDT

When FFXIV became a chore.

• 9 posts
    April 12, 2020 9:25 AM PDT

For me it was back in August 2019.  I had been following this game a year prior to that but still deeply involved with FF14 and some ESO.  Once I grew tired of those I searched for the next MMO.  Sadly there is nothing out there that really caught my interest and so I looked further into this game.  I played EQ2 for years and absolutely loved that game.  So, August 2019 - I pledged!

• 255 posts
    April 16, 2020 4:00 PM PDT

February 2014 for me. I pledged during the failed Kickstarter as well.

So been following it for quite some time now.

• 33 posts
    April 17, 2020 11:12 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I became interested in Pantheon right after Brad announced he was working on a new MMO in 2013. I was part of the group on the FOH boards that helped put together an initial list of ideas for his new game. Many of them are part of the core tenants we see today. I still have it in fact, last edit was January 2014.

Willing to email that to me? I'd be interested in seeing what was put together.  I was on the FOH boards when he was talking to them... never quite understood why he trusted them. After all, a lot of the FOH crew went on to make WoW with Tiggle & Furor... basically taking a huge chunk of EQ with them.  I wonder if he wishes he should have listened to them in the first place when they were complaining and decided to listen to the community this time around.  What an interesting time that was.  I remember some of the posts Furor did on the EQ boards back in the day... and they were BRUTAL.  I remember his exit post saying that he was leaving for WoW and it was insane. I wish I could find that. 

This post was edited by Brooks at April 17, 2020 11:16 AM PDT
    • 7 posts
    April 18, 2020 6:43 AM PDT
    March 2016. Pledged in August 2017.
    For the why, because EverQuest of course. I've played a lot of MMO's since but they're all missing the challenge that forges community. I'd say Rift was the next best until new releases crushed the community and the game went ftp.
    • 121 posts
    April 18, 2020 6:44 AM PDT

I got into the kickstarter back in 2014 but it failed so I pledged on the retry back in 2015.  I lurked around for awhile until I joined the forums later in 2015.  I played EQ at release and continued for about 7 years and played Vanguard for about 4 years.  Every other MMO I played only kept me insterested for less than a year (2 days to 8 months).  I had been searching for a game that had similar concpets to older style MMOs when I saw Brads Kickstarter.  Once I saw it was Brad's game, I was all in.  Brad's visions were always in line with mine so I'd follow him anywhere and after reading what he was planning for Pantheon, I was more certain than ever.  Just waiting for Alpha now.  It's been a lot longer than I had expected but I'm not losing faith yet. 

• 432 posts
    April 19, 2020 8:16 AM PDT

Somewhere 2014.

Why ? Two words : Brad McQuaid

If there was one person in the world who was able to make a game which would not be a clone of the "modern" MMO, it was Brad.

So I put my money in to help him to realize this project because "making worlds, not games" is something only he could do and something I can completely identify with.

• 91 posts
    April 24, 2020 9:47 PM PDT
    Around new year 2019. I searched for “MMORPG slow progression” to start. Somewhere in there I searched “against pay to win”. Eventually, after reading hundreds of posts about games with these issues, I realized most of them referred to EQ and Vanguard as the antithesis to the modern casual solo grind I have never found enjoyable for long. So I researched those 2 games to figure out which studios to watch for games to try. I had not played EQ or Vanguard. I was playing Neverwinter for the AD&D nods and went back to try out my 14 yo toon from EQ2...huge disappointment of course.
    Through my searches, I found out that Brad McQuaid was the one to watch. I read about Pantheon and loved the ideas I saw from the team. So I pledged and I started to play progression on EQ.
    It still looks like the best option around to me. The team has come so far in just the last year amidst many challenges and so I upgraded my pledge today. Looking forward to alpha in the next couple of years..
    • 1273 posts
    April 24, 2020 9:57 PM PDT

Corrected ;-)

... Looking forward to alpha in the next couple of months..

(I know, I know...just fun to pretend)

• 1281 posts
    April 25, 2020 2:50 PM PDT

Brooks said:

bigdogchris said:

Willing to email that to me? I'd be interested in seeing what was put together.  I was on the FOH boards when he was talking to them... never quite understood why he trusted them. After all, a lot of the FOH crew went on to make WoW with Tiggle & Furor... basically taking a huge chunk of EQ with them.  I wonder if he wishes he should have listened to them in the first place when they were complaining and decided to listen to the community this time around.  What an interesting time that was.  I remember some of the posts Furor did on the EQ boards back in the day... and they were BRUTAL.  I remember his exit post saying that he was leaving for WoW and it was insane. I wish I could find that. 

PM me your email address.