Forums » The Wizard

The 4th spell line / focus

• 133 posts
    April 3, 2020 9:15 PM PDT

Based upon the recent Shaman stream and the deep stats windows.

It looks like the 4th spell line is Essence.

Unless it's a placeholder name.

• 39 posts
    April 4, 2020 2:25 PM PDT

Isn't essence related to the Dire Lord resource? No idea what it means in the context of "X-Focus" though.

• 418 posts
    April 8, 2020 2:33 PM PDT

All I know is Essence sounds like a badass type of magic for a wizard to focus on - whether that means healing, blood, dark magic, metaphysics-y magic, soul magic, or whatever. If the implication is the wizard is tapping a foundational force of the universe, cool =) Or even if it's just blood, still cool.

• 299 posts
    April 12, 2020 1:52 PM PDT

Nice catch! Was just looking over the wizard skills and was wondering what the mysterious 4th type was. I would bet this is it, rather than just placeholder. 

• 1634 posts
    May 15, 2020 12:36 PM PDT

There was some speculation that the 4th school of magic "essence focus" would essentially make a wizard like a blood mage and allow them to have heal abilities mixed with damage. This speculation coming because of the direlords combat resource entitled "essence" which often heals based on damage.

I'm torn. If the speculation ends up being true, as a wizard, I wouldn't want to be forced into a back up healing role. That is not why people pick the wizard class. I could see this turning myself and others off to playing a wizard.

I have bad memories of playing a runekeeper in lotro and wanting to be a dps caster role but was expected to heal at times...which wasnt fun for me.

If the essence focus heals were self only that would be fine I guess but not exciting to me.

As a wizard you want to do the highest burst damage possible period. Other spells can be a nice bonus but if a player unlocks this secret 4th spell focus type and it ends up not being about doing noticeably more damage I know I would be disappointed.

This post was edited by philo at May 15, 2020 1:00 PM PDT
    • 11 posts
    June 6, 2020 7:43 PM PDT
    I would imagine electricity, (shrug)
    • 1634 posts
    June 7, 2020 1:10 PM PDT

Fantasy said: I would imagine electricity, (shrug)

We already know of a few lightning type of electrical spells but they are part of the arcane focus.

• 3 posts
    June 8, 2020 9:56 AM PDT

I wouldn't be opposed to having some healing type skills. When I think of Essence I hope it would be something like Healing or Mana over time drains to our group with cooldowns. Having actual useful Utility that groups desire would be nice.

• 2692 posts
    June 8, 2020 11:50 AM PDT

I hope it is only a placeholder name, having two classes with "essence" isn't the best for clarity.

Likewise I hope it isn't about buffing/healing/etc, but that wouldn't seem to be the case with "There is rumored to be a fourth school of Magic discovered by certain recondite Wizards - devastating in effect and untethered to elemental constraints"

So that makes me think it might be a physical based damage type or otherwise a resistless damage typing. 

• 1634 posts
    June 11, 2020 6:42 AM PDT

Just a random thought... What if it doesnt give access to heals?  What if the 4th school is essence focus (essence does refer to the players health similar to the direlord so the term fits)...but it does damage at the expense of a wizards health without allowing the wizard to heal themselves like other blood mages?  Direlords do generate essence based on the damage they take.  It would require the wizard to rely on the group.

Instead of monitoring your arcane/fire/cold focus meters your health becomes your focus meter.

You end up with a scenario where a wizard is riding the line of low health in order to do the most damage. 

It could be "devastating in effect" to both the mob and the wizard.

...healers would hate wizards who use it in normal groups.  It wouldnt provide a good group dynamic normally.  But it could be tuned in a way to make it worth it in certain situations.

If this ends up being the case I hope the wizard wouldnt get healing abilities like other "blood mage" type of classes.  Force the wizard to rely on their group to heal them if they want to use the essence focus spells.  Maybe the wizard could have some runes or something that would absorb some of the damage but no outright heals like we have seen in other games would be my preference.

This post was edited by philo at June 11, 2020 7:38 AM PDT