Forums » Pantheon Classes

Necros and their Pets

• 93 posts
    March 13, 2020 4:32 PM PDT
    I was very excited and thankful that Joppa shared some beans about Necros during the PantheonPlus stream last night. The one question that’s still burning in my brain, however, is whether or not Necro pets will have the same functionality as Summoner pets in that the player will be able to give them permanent gear, assign them stats as they level and that sort of thing. Will the Necro pet be an extension of the Necro to the same degree that the Summoner pet is to the Summoner? Inquiring minds want to know.
    • 68 posts
    March 13, 2020 6:04 PM PDT

oh bummer, apparently i missed it. is there a link to it?

• 839 posts
    March 13, 2020 7:28 PM PDT

Rhelic said:

oh bummer, apparently i missed it. is there a link to it?

https://twitch.tv/PantheonPlus

I think that will get you there Rhelic, great stream!

• 238 posts
    March 14, 2020 1:36 AM PDT

That is a good question and I am interested to know as well.

I would assume that, while the summoner relies on their pet for the majority of their damage output, the Necromancer would be the opposite and they would rely more on their own spells and abilities for their damage output.

I would think that pet wise there would still be a way to gear and equip the pets, and I would also think that there would be modifications that could be made to pet abilities. However, I feel like the necromancer's pet abilities would be centered more around CC and utility vs extreme damage output. In terms of stat allocation for pets, I would think that the necromancer would have this ability as well.

I am also curious to know how many types of pets the necromancer will be able to summon. Is it a one and done type of deal or will there be pets that focus on melee, tanking, and casting/range?  

• 2756 posts
    March 14, 2020 2:52 AM PDT

I honestly can't remember where but I'm sure I've heard that the necro pets are likely to be like the ranger and shaman 'pets' ie. they are effectively temporary spell effects.

It would be a shame - I think the necro makes a good pet class - but I could understand it.

• 316 posts
    March 14, 2020 4:20 AM PDT

I hope hope hope necromancers acquire pets from corpses!

Ya know, by actually - raising the dead...

• 2756 posts
    March 14, 2020 4:49 AM PDT

Alexander said:

I hope hope hope necromancers acquire pets from corpses!

Ya know, by actually - raising the dead...

Would be cool. Charm, but you have to kill them first ;^)

• 93 posts
    March 14, 2020 6:45 AM PDT

I think since Necros will be a CC class that their pets purpose should primarily be centered around CC-their pets should distract the mobs, blocking them from getting to other player characters, pinning them down, stuff like that. That would be cool. But I’m really hoping that we get to play the meta game if gearing them, grooming them with stats and such just like our Summoner friends will. Hoping Joppa can hop in here and give us his thoughts.

This post was edited by urgatorbait at March 14, 2020 6:49 AM PDT
    • 79 posts
    March 14, 2020 7:28 AM PDT

i think necros will largely be a dps debilitateing utility class  with a large emphasis on undead cc, snare.. preeety much like everquest was but....cooler more utility but thats just a  guess, summoners should remain the kings of pets thats theyre thing , i think that the idea of raiseing   mobs tobe zombies is good as long as theres some sort of debuff or limitation like they slowly die and cant be healed directly.  Personally i think dire charm is a mistake and they will end up  either nerfing it to death or eliminateing it.

• 388 posts
    March 15, 2020 11:09 AM PDT

I hate sounding like a broken record but in this case, can we kind of copy and paste the EQ1 necro? 

it could heal. it could mez, it could feign death, it could transfer mana, it had pets that were Very different from the Mages. 

I am sure you could try and tweak them a little, but the heart and soul of the class was really Very good. 

Sometimes, you don't HAVE to reinvent the wheel. sometimes a regular wheel is a good enough wheel. 

of course, the Necro in GW2 was cool as well ( some of the spells were unique and fun ) i just loved reverse kiting in eq. 

This post was edited by Flapp at March 15, 2020 11:13 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    March 15, 2020 1:13 PM PDT

Flapp said:

I hate sounding like a broken record but in this case, can we kind of copy and paste the EQ1 necro? 

it could heal. it could mez, it could feign death, it could transfer mana, it had pets that were Very different from the Mages. 

I am sure you could try and tweak them a little, but the heart and soul of the class was really Very good. 

Sometimes, you don't HAVE to reinvent the wheel. sometimes a regular wheel is a good enough wheel. 

of course, the Necro in GW2 was cool as well ( some of the spells were unique and fun ) i just loved reverse kiting in eq. 

EQ1 Necro was very good. Didn't have much CC though apart from Fear? Some Terror (like a mez) would be great so it is a true alternative to Bard and Enchanter, but other than that, yeah I liked EQ1 Necro.

• 2752 posts
    March 15, 2020 1:25 PM PDT

I'd be disappointed to see anything near a copy/paste of EQ necro. I am very pleased to hear they will be filling the Support/CC role.

I'd like to see them play very unique to other classes, using their own life and mana to feed the party, debuffing mobs and transfering debuffed stats to their defensive targets, using mez-like abilities (paralyzing fear), and other support style thing. Their damage and DoT spells would primarily be life drains used fuel their ability to siphon health/mana to party members and perhaps even power some spells.

I hope they are not a pet heavy class, maybe even only dumbfire "pets" that perform a particular function. Pets and heavy pet systems should remain the main draw of summoner.

This post was edited by Iksar at March 16, 2020 9:45 AM PDT
    • 1999 posts
    March 15, 2020 1:35 PM PDT

Iksar said:

I'd be disappointed to see anything near a copy/paste of EQ necro. I am very pleased to hear they will be filling the Support/CC role.

I'd like to see them play very unique to other classes, using their own life and mana to feed the party, debuffing mobs and transfering debuffed stats to their defensive targets, using mez-like abilities (paralyzing fear), and other support style thing. Their damage and DoT spells would primarily be life drains to used fuel their ability to siphon health/mana to party members and perhaps even power some spells.

I hope they are not a pet heavy class, maybe even only dumbfire "pets" that perform a particular function. Pets and heavy pet systems should remain the main draw of summoner.

This sounds like a Necro I'd very much like to play.

• 9115 posts
    March 15, 2020 1:37 PM PDT

Moved to Pantheon Classes.

• 1999 posts
    March 15, 2020 2:08 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Moved to Pantheon Classes.

Thanks Kils.

Any idea when we'll get a Necro section on the forum?

(Since we already have a Bard one)

• 29 posts
    March 18, 2020 10:40 AM PDT

Nedcro as CC Class ... absolutely top! That would be my class.   Any word if we can expect Necros now at launch? pretty please!

• 71 posts
    March 18, 2020 7:25 PM PDT

Necro's will more then likely focus on their pets doing most of the work, just like Summoner since lets be real here. Necros and Summoners are almost like two sides of the same coin... almost. They have also stated on stream that the class will be a selfish class like the direlord. So I'm not expecting there to be alot of resources on their toolkit that can aid their allies. 

So taking that into consideration here and if I had to guess what direction they'll take the pets for Necros. I think they'll work like this:

• - Pet summonings require corpses as resources to summon. 
    • - If the corpse is to low leveled for your Pet then you either cannot summon it or you need alot more corpses. 
    • - Each corpse you see you can interact with and either convert into a pet or leech essence from it or maybe resurrect them with essence you already have stored. 
    • - Instead of the classic "mana" the resource for the class will prob be focused more on "essences" aka souls. Thus making necros act more selfish then other classes. 
    • - Obtaining stronger spells and such for the class will more then likely require necromancers to talk with spirits and undead and handle their issues, as that's how i'll do it. 
    • - The stronger your pet, the less pets you can have out. The weaker the pet the more pets you can have out. Doing this should prevent issues like a full max leveled necromancer group being able to do everything. 
    • - Outside of pet abilities; the necromancers other tools/skills would involve lots of DoTs and AOEs with some self healing (including pet heals), self-sustains. and with some essence leeching. 

But i'm just spitballing here. It'll be interesting to see where they'll take the Necromancer Class. They've recieved tons of feedback from the community on how they'd want the class to be like. So, we can only wait to see which direction they'll take it. 

Jothany said:

Any idea when we'll get a Necro section on the forum?

(Since we already have a Bard one)

Yeah, i've been wondering about that too. 

This post was edited by znushu at March 18, 2020 7:26 PM PDT
    • 53 posts
    March 20, 2020 6:38 PM PDT

Probably get necro added with the new forums.  When that happens.

It's really looking like the necro will be nothing like the EQ Necro.  Joppa said it was going to be in the CC branch rather than dps branch (although it does more damage than the bard).  

I really like the idea of dead corpses that turn into CC.

• 888 posts
    March 24, 2020 2:59 PM PDT
    Thematically, necro pets should be temporary. They are corpses, after all. They could make them slowly weaken over time as they get less "freah" and the necro would periodically want to replace them with new ones.

In a perfect game, necros would be able to take parts of corpses and sew them together. The arm of your current pet is going bad? Take the arm off a fresh kill and replace it.
    • 1479 posts
    March 25, 2020 12:24 AM PDT

Counterfleche said: Thematically, necro pets should be temporary. They are corpses, after all. They could make them slowly weaken over time as they get less "freah" and the necro would periodically want to replace them with new ones. In a perfect game, necros would be able to take parts of corpses and sew them together. The arm of your current pet is going bad? Take the arm off a fresh kill and replace it.

That's how necro worked in GW1. Their pets had decaying health and ended beeing destroyed over time. Now because of how the game skills were designed (Pet healing and sacrifice a targetted pet for AOE damage) it ended beeing too much micro management for a human and necro pet specs were better suited as played by IA due to these interractions allowing snapshotting pets just before they died for extra damage.

Avoid doing such skills or having multiple pets at once, and it shall be free of chore.

• 1999 posts
    March 25, 2020 8:58 AM PDT

DraqAttack said:

Probably get necro added with the new forums.  When that happens.

Just 3 months ago Kilsin picked up his magic ban wand by the OTHER end, uttered an ancient incantation and with a blinding flash of light and peal of thunder he created a new forum board in the Guild section!

There's no need to wait till those mythical "new forums" arrive. I'd guess we'll get them whenever enough chat about Necros starts showing up in forum posts.

• 370 posts
    March 29, 2020 12:33 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Iksar said:

I'd like to see them play very unique to other classes, using their own life and mana to feed the party, debuffing mobs and transfering debuffed stats to their defensive targets, using mez-like abilities (paralyzing fear), and other support style thing. Their damage and DoT spells would primarily be life drains to used fuel their ability to siphon health/mana to party members and perhaps even power some spells.

This sounds like a Necro I'd very much like to play.

This sounds like a more enjoyable Necro to me too. I played a Necro to level 55 in EQ. It was fun but other than solo'n wasn't great at anything group related. It's mez was 20 seconds so you almost had to chain cast it. You couldn't fear in dungeons. DoT's were too slow to get much use in a group as the mob would normally die before it did it's full damage and DoT'd mobs would break mez.  Having them as a sort of CC class would a nice twist. You could have like undead arms reach up from the ground and "hold" the mob in place. There are tons of undead, poision, and terror related themes you could use for buffs and debuffs. 

• 1999 posts
    March 29, 2020 9:53 AM PDT

EppE said: You could have like undead arms reach up from the ground and "hold" the mob in place.

Oh man I'd love to cast a spell and have rotting, skeleton arms rise up from below and hold mobs as my version of a root!

Mwuahahahah!

• 90 posts
    May 14, 2020 8:33 AM PDT
    I like the idea of raised corpses being the main pet fuel for the necro. I’d like to see where the raising of dead is what the class would use for CC. Arms from the ground to root, a ghostly presence holding a mob with mez, several zombies surrounding and preventing a mob from attacking.
    Since they want to go CC with the class, there are many interesting ways to integrate that into the abilities.
    I loved my EQ1 necro, and when I grouped I was usually the CC, even though EQ necros were pretty ghetto at that, the utility of the class is what really made it shine.
    I’d like to see more CC, debuffs and mob drains that top up health and mana. Not so much DPS but very versatile and utility based class as others have mentioned above.
    • 316 posts
    July 29, 2020 1:45 AM PDT
    Aa far as this "arms from the ground" root idea goes, are we trying to stay realistic? Because then there would have to be corpses everywhere under the ground to hold our enemies or the skeleton arms would just be a dark image of the necro's arcana.

That's a slight peeve Ive had with necro skills in other games - where are all these skeleton arms coming from? =P