Forums » The Dark Myr

retcon dark MUR lore

• 1291 posts
    March 12, 2020 7:44 PM PDT

so now fish bois and girls don't get fins anymore.

they don't have gills anymore

syronai totally genetically modifies the entire race and get gets ganked for it (does the nythirian red still exist?)

do they still have 1 lung or now they have two?

dark mur don't have fish scales now?

do they have blue blood or did syronais mad experiments make them reptilan fish or mammalian fish?

i'd lean towards mammalian fish because the females have breasts.

also since they have legs now, will they have a tail that looks like a fin or did they split the fin into two legs?

i mean if they are going to have a swim speed bonus, either have webbed feet and hands or have a fish tail right?

This post was edited by stellarmind at March 12, 2020 7:44 PM PDT
    • 595 posts
    March 12, 2020 8:27 PM PDT

I have to admit.....you have left me speechless!

(but in a good way)

• 1291 posts
    March 12, 2020 9:48 PM PDT

with the new information provided by joppa, i request that dark myr be respelled as dark mur.

syronai's rest should now be called nythiirs rest.

let's be real for a bit.  a warrior fish society taking pride on their superiority and perfect form ain't gon be happy with a witch goddess genetically modifying them from their perfect form with bastard legs and scaleless bodies with no gills.

it was nythiir that even gave the race a chance at living on terminus.  it was him that also led them to victory vs the leviathans.

i'll buy the glowing eyes with the bioluminescent thing.

i demand lore consistency!  it makes more sense that their capital city be named after the god that even gave them a foothold on terminus.  sure nobody ain't going to scoff at syronai for giving them a chance to continue existence, BUT SHE DEFORMED THEM!

• 117 posts
    March 13, 2020 8:37 AM PDT

"retcon dark MUR lore"

How exactly can they retcon something when the game isn't even live yet? I could understand calling it a retcon if they changed them after the game shipped.

/shrug

• 1291 posts
    March 13, 2020 8:54 AM PDT

Bonechip said:

"retcon dark MUR lore"

How exactly can they retcon something when the game isn't even live yet? I could understand calling it a retcon if they changed them after the game shipped.

/shrug

that is acurrate since it's prealpha.  it should be called a lore adjustment, but i gotta say retcon to get eyes.  you know, standard sensational media tricks :D

• 1791 posts
    March 13, 2020 9:34 AM PDT

I'd just say that's the amphibious tail/legs part of the site that first catched me for the Dark Myr race. Now if they end up beeing solely aquamans with no specific features nor a mermaid underwater style (tail & such), I don't really see the point in them overall.

• 1291 posts
    March 13, 2020 9:52 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

I'd just say that's the amphibious tail/legs part of the site that first catched me for the Dark Myr race. Now if they end up beeing solely aquamans with no specific features nor a mermaid underwater style (tail & such), I don't really see the point in them overall.

yea that was what made them cool.  i could understand if the look more like prince sidon(i don't mean aesthetically but anatomically)

he still looks like he can swim like a fish.  i think in the male models that was release for the dark mur, you can see where there might have been gills(by the rib cage).  that would be cool if vr modeler could make it a bit more pronounced and give us a bit of finnery to looke more dolphin like since the syronai obviously spliced the dna with a monkey instead of something that would have made more sense, like a dolphin.  we can reserve the reptilian frog for the skar.

This post was edited by stellarmind at March 13, 2020 9:53 AM PDT
    • 109 posts
    March 13, 2020 10:23 AM PDT

Im fine with it no more go backs just push forward

• 1291 posts
    March 13, 2020 11:06 AM PDT

SugarWood said:

Im fine with it no more go backs just push forward

to maintain lore continuity, erase the fact the nythir sacrfice himself so that they were able to set foot on terminus.

remove nythir red ganking syronai.

remove nythir red.  that faction shouldn't even exist since they followed a military hierarchy with a matriarch and religous zealotry.

nythir sacrificed himself to ensure victory over the leviathans.  he died on issul.

btw female fishes are usually bigger than male fishes.  so the body mass needs to be flipped.

combine that she genetically altered them by sacrficing herself when they landed on terminus.(after she put them in complete stasis to buy time after they started dropping like fish poop)

think of it as how fresh water fishes will just belly up in salt water.

also include that she spliced orca dna(since they are 'apex predators' of the sea)

i'd be satisfied with moving forward if this was the case.

makes sense culturally and anatomically.

This post was edited by stellarmind at March 13, 2020 11:37 AM PDT
    • 22 posts
    March 13, 2020 12:42 PM PDT

so... because Syronai changed them you want them to just be humans? thats what i got from this.

• 1291 posts
    March 13, 2020 1:08 PM PDT

snowtrudger said:

so... because Syronai changed them you want them to just be humans? thats what i got from this.

i don't care how it's done, i just want lore continuity that makes sense.  i prefer them to be more aquatic like as the current lore supports.  after the pantheonplus inteview with joppa, there is new information with the current biological state of the race that is NOT reflected with the story of dark mur.

as far as the information provided, the dark mur have completely lost their ability to breathe underwater, can respire air effficiently and can no longer go mermaid/merman mode, but apparently still swim gracefully without some indication of physical attributes to do so.  those fins for ears isn't adequate enough to acheive a faster swim speed without webbed feet and hands, a tail(a horizontal for up and down motion instead of a vertical for side to side) or some appendage similar to a orca.

either adjust the appearence or adjust the lore to reflect the current race antanomy and culture.

• 444 posts
    March 13, 2020 3:18 PM PDT

I'd just like to point out - This thread is a great example of why a game developer might not want to release ANY info about a game until it's finished.

See what happened here?  They are being 'punished' for releasing info and then changing it....I totally get why they're scared to say anything to us.  lol

• 1291 posts
    March 13, 2020 3:38 PM PDT
    no punishing here. I’m just pointing out lore inconsistency and have outlined it as professionally as a janitor can. It’s constructive criticism with solutions.
    Forgive me for wanting a squeaky clean lore. I’m a janitor after all.
    • 52 posts
    March 14, 2020 7:19 AM PDT

wow i thought my typos, spelling and  grammar was bad i bow to thee my master ! anyway lore consistancy is good,  theyre in a love hate relationship with her, as for the boobs they could just  LOOK like boobs,  they could be  purely  mate attracting, or hollow areas to store eggs, some sort of gland to glue theyre eggs together or many other things

• 1291 posts
    March 14, 2020 10:59 AM PDT

Quseio2017 said:

wow i thought my typos, spelling and  grammar was bad i bow to thee my master ! anyway lore consistancy is good,  theyre in a love hate relationship with her, as for the boobs they could just  LOOK like boobs,  they could be  purely  mate attracting, or hollow areas to store eggs, some sort of gland to glue theyre eggs together or many other things

i alotted more skill points into perception instead of grammar =(

some premises that i'm working off of:

i assume that dark myr are group orientated, matriarchy and intelligent sea species.  my closest comparsion irl would be orca society.

https://www.killer-whale.org/killer-whale-social-structure/

it doesn't make any sense for the nythir red(probably predominately a military male organization, god of war for fish folks) to kill her under these circumstances.  at worst, they'd splinter off into their own faction.

i could see if syronai was like, yo fish people we're going to be servants and pacifists on terminus now and that is very out of character for syronai.  the dark myr were well aware that issul was dying.  i can see her being an athena figure.

nythir and syronai would have had a great relationship like ares and athena if zeus didn't interfere.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/1897185/1/The-Myth-of-Ares-and-Athena

i don't think the dread myr are dumb to think that syronai didn't have much choice in genetically altering them to suit the new environment.  kind of like a warrior adapting to the changes in environment.  they wouldn't dispute it, maybe a bit aprehensive.

there would have to be grand deception perhaps by the leviathans that could set this up.

a dark myr female that wanted to replace syronai as the ruler.

or another goddess in the dark myr pantheon that is jealous of her.

if there was some type of indication to subtlely hint, otherwise i wouldn't be tooting.

it's like doing janitor work at an software engineering company and one day out of 7 years of cleaning, finding bob ross paint brushes in the trash bin.  it's so out of place without any indication of someone in the company doing artwork that i'm going to question it.

• 1791 posts
    March 14, 2020 11:31 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

I'd just like to point out - This thread is a great example of why a game developer might not want to release ANY info about a game until it's finished.

See what happened here?  They are being 'punished' for releasing info and then changing it....I totally get why they're scared to say anything to us.  lol

I can understand the feeling, now the race shift human/mermaid beeing the sole thing I found interesting and innovative about them...  :P

• 595 posts
    March 14, 2020 12:34 PM PDT

Ranarius said: I'd just like to point out - This thread is a great example of why a game developer might not want to release ANY info about a game until it's finished.

I often agree with your posted opinions, but not this time. Joppa recently said that VR wants and appreciates construstive criticism. There's been more than enough NON-constructive criticism on the forums recently, but this post isn't that. Stellar starts with questions rather than complaints and then moves into suggestions for possible changes. That is very much the 'constructive' part of constructive criticism.

Even better, Stellar consistently mixes humor with the criticism, which is one of the best ways to avoid invoking anger or resentment from those receiving the criticism. A lesson many of us on the forums should try to remember.

• 487 posts
    March 14, 2020 2:20 PM PDT
    This is post sacrifice - "the strange salvation of 'air' filtering through our quivering bodies, heaving out the poisonous liquid of Terminus’ oceans."

As you can see, this is just one of the couple examples that are in the written lore - which is inconsistent with what Joppa said and their current Underwater Breathing racial.
    • 517 posts
    March 14, 2020 11:00 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

some premises that i'm working off of:

i assume that dark myr are group orientated, matriarchy and intelligent sea species.  my closest comparsion irl would be orca society.

https://www.killer-whale.org/killer-whale-social-structure/

it doesn't make any sense for the nythir red(probably predominately a military male organization, god of war for fish folks) to kill her under these circumstances.  at worst, they'd splinter off into their own faction.

Just had to nitpick here, sorry. If you're truely devoted to Dark Myr going fish-style... don't envolve sea mammals in your  theory. 

There are plenty of intelligent actual fish in the sea to image from. Otherwise, crazy mur rant on! stellarmind :)

• 1291 posts
    March 15, 2020 4:59 AM PDT

Barin999 said:

Just had to nitpick here, sorry. If you're truely devoted to Dark Myr going fish-style... don't envolve sea mammals in your  theory. 

There are plenty of intelligent actual fish in the sea to image from. Otherwise, crazy mur rant on! stellarmind :)

:o  as long as it lore consistent, i'm for anything.  i only lean more towards fish orca spliced, mostly because the skar have that reptilian look already and anatomically based on the new dark myr models, they appear to have a dolphin-like skin.  

i'm thinking syronai would wave a big red flag to any creature that looked like a leviathan as no go for splicing. it's kind of tricky because the appearence of leviathans vary tremendously.  anything probably with tentacles, serpentlike or deep sea horror is a no go.

i would say shark, but it has to be something that can breathe air now.

This post was edited by stellarmind at March 15, 2020 5:00 AM PDT
    • 444 posts
    March 15, 2020 10:02 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Ranarius said: I'd just like to point out - This thread is a great example of why a game developer might not want to release ANY info about a game until it's finished.

I often agree with your posted opinions, but not this time. Joppa recently said that VR wants and appreciates construstive criticism. There's been more than enough NON-constructive criticism on the forums recently, but this post isn't that. Stellar starts with questions rather than complaints and then moves into suggestions for possible changes. That is very much the 'constructive' part of constructive criticism.

Even better, Stellar consistently mixes humor with the criticism, which is one of the best ways to avoid invoking anger or resentment from those receiving the criticism. A lesson many of us on the forums should try to remember.

You're right.  There were two problems with my response (that I can think of).  First, I was in a hurry.  Second I lumped this thread in with a bunch of others that have been going on lately and that probably wasn't fair.

I agree that this is a valid discussion so let me gve it a second try on my response - What if there is no inconsistancy with the lore, they just haven't updated the lore properly yet?  I think that was supposed to be my point but since I was in a hurry I did a poor job of communicating that.  

• 1291 posts
    March 15, 2020 11:27 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

You're right.  There were two problems with my response (that I can think of).  First, I was in a hurry.  Second I lumped this thread in with a bunch of others that have been going on lately and that probably wasn't fair.

I agree that this is a valid discussion so let me gve it a second try on my response - What if there is no inconsistancy with the lore, they just haven't updated the lore properly yet?  I think that was supposed to be my point but since I was in a hurry I did a poor job of communicating that.  

straying a bit:

vr probably isn't planning on updating the website and all associated information until beta i bet.  just because spells, abilities, game mechanics and lore are all subject to change.  we've seen them wildly change things from las12, then with las12 with unique class bars to las8 with uas6 and now we getting  additional utility bar of i think(i think joppa said 2 uas6 bars in the recent pp interview).  that's 20 slot.

we've also seen no gcd to a gcd(very good imo)

we know we actually have triple to penta amount of spells that isn't reflected on the website.

sure it sucks that the information given isn't updated in concise easy to look at change log. it's becomes extra work that doesn't need to be done when it can change again.  the devs know it, i know it, some other players know it.  i like poking 'friendly reminders'.

to get back on topic-

lore tends to get a bit shuffled to the side during any design process so it's pretty easy to overlook.  the overall story for dark myr:

issul is a dying planet because the leviathans and divine beings kept nuking each other.

divine beings had alot of internal bumping heads enter syronai that was GIVEN a gift BY the planet to create the myr race.

under the leadership of syronai*who apparently is humble and loved by all fish people because she created them*- and the divine beings, claim victory over big bad villans on planet.

fish ppl move to new planet, but miscalculation in that the water is poison(like freshwater fish dropping into saltwater)

nythir sacrifice himself to delay the immediate problem.

main goddess seek solutions, but had to resort to drastic measures(now this is where the lore falls apart a bit here.  the dread myr knows the situation is dire and syronai is doing everything to she can.  she doesn't do anything to fundamentally undermine the culture or society, which would warrant assassination.  we know she isn't tyrannical.  the situation IS the problem and majority of the race would have a 'survival' mentality, otherwise they would have just rolled over and gone extinct on issul)

they would need something to hint at major dissonance, which would be hard to do since the entire race is well unified for big causes, such as leviathan hunting.  i think nythir OPENLY supported syronai.  heck they could have been lovers.  so it's farfetched to say that his followers would straight up kill the goddess that CREATED them.  for the dread myr to openly kill the goddess, nythir and syronai had to have a really bad relationship- which again falls apart since syronai literally gave nythir the ability to wage the war.

1.  we don't know know if nythir and syronai are the only 2 divine beings of the fish ppl that came to terminus, which it sounds like they are the only 2 that made it.

2.  the military faction, nythirian red, wouldn't dispute last resort extreme survival measures.

3.  a female dark myr cult that is the epitome of vainity would most likely want to kill syronai, or a goddess that wanted to replace syronai and hook up with nythir and syronai was in the way.

This post was edited by stellarmind at March 15, 2020 11:42 AM PDT
    • 2636 posts
    March 15, 2020 1:08 PM PDT

Personally see no issues, just a lot of twisting of lore or filling in of gaps to fit peoples personal ideas of what Dark Myr should be. I suppose it's a good thing the game already inspires fan fiction though.

• 8825 posts
    March 15, 2020 1:40 PM PDT

Moved to The Dark Myr lore subforum.

• 769 posts
    March 24, 2020 4:52 PM PDT

Quseio2017 said:

wow i thought my typos, spelling and  grammar was bad i bow to thee my master  

Stellars posts come packed with punch not punctuation!  They are poeticallty powerful and permeate passion through the population perfectly!