Forums » The Paladin

Paladin might be getting a new race!

• 489 posts
    March 5, 2020 6:52 PM PST

Joppa confirmed (March 5th) that there were at least 2 changes coming to the class/race matrix - ONE we already know about, which is Archai Summoner. The other, this is purely specualation, but I think it will be Dark Myr for Paladin. It makes the most sense with lore (Paladins are vengeful clerics that drop the tome to pick up the Hammer) and the Dark Myr can already be Clerics.

The downside are the racial passives, they are the absolute worst for the Paladin class. One thing we can still hope for, are killer racial actives.

• 680 posts
    March 5, 2020 6:59 PM PST

I guess I missed the Archai summoner bean.  When did that drop?

• 634 posts
    March 5, 2020 7:07 PM PST

Fragile said:

Joppa confirmed (March 5th) that there were at least 2 changes coming to the class/race matrix - ONE we already know about, which is Archai Summoner. The other, this is purely specualation, but I think it will be Dark Myr for Paladin. It makes the most sense with lore (Paladins are vengeful clerics that drop the tome to pick up the Hammer) and the Dark Myr can already be Clerics.

The downside are the racial passives, they are the absolute worst for the Paladin class. One thing we can still hope for, are killer racial actives.

Well Paladin certainly deserves it more than any others, with only 2 so far.

I'd think Skar would be a more useful race to add, but as Paly is my 3rd choice for Tank I don't have any personal interest in which they choose.

• 22 posts
    March 5, 2020 7:24 PM PST

Celandor said:

I guess I missed the Archai summoner bean.  When did that drop?

It was metioned in one of the Q&A with Kilsin, dont recall if it was Part 1 or Part 2 iirc

• 1818 posts
    March 5, 2020 11:37 PM PST

Well I assumed they would remove Shaman for humans  :P .

But maybe, it's good for the hopefull peoples, for me I couldn't care less about Dark Myrs paladins. (Archai summoner is however something interesting to me).

• 898 posts
    March 6, 2020 5:42 PM PST

I'm hoping for either Dark Myr or Archai Paladins; I would like to see something like Mauv mentioned and have the Shaman removed from humans, but I'm doubting that at this point.  I'm also kind of expecting cleric to be added to another race.

• 489 posts
    March 6, 2020 8:15 PM PST

Darch said:

I'm hoping for either Dark Myr or Archai Paladins; I would like to see something like Mauv mentioned and have the Shaman removed from humans, but I'm doubting that at this point.  I'm also kind of expecting cleric to be added to another race.

Yeah I would love Archai Paladin as well, but that's kind of wonky lore-wise. Archai model is dope.

• 223 posts
    March 31, 2020 11:25 AM PDT
    I suspect it's one of the following:

1) Hafling Enchanter: Haflings are playful tricksters and Enchanting is about tricking or coercing.

2) Dark Myr Paladin: "Paladins set off on their own to carry out their righteous judgment as they see fit." That sounds like the judgemental Dark Myr to me.

3) Ogre Ranger: Ogres are a tribal, live-off-the-land race.

4) Elf Monk: Monks are all about harmony between body and soul, and elves traditionally are a very harmonious race.
    • 1639 posts
    April 10, 2020 1:22 PM PDT

Elf monk is my pick as well

To be Ogre Rangers and Dark Myr Paladins make no sense tome, and the while they can be druids or clerics is the most paper to pen explanation you could literally give me, as plenty of the lore from both races actually explain pretty well why they weren't to begin with.

Halfling Enchanter would be interesting

Plus Dark Myr can be every class but 3 so why are people so intent on giving them more when they're some races that have far less.

This post was edited by Riahuf22 at April 10, 2020 1:27 PM PDT
    • 33 posts
    April 14, 2020 12:42 PM PDT

ohhh Ogre Ranger would be very interesting! 

• 5 posts
    May 1, 2020 3:51 PM PDT

If Dark Myr is the worst for paladin. Then maybe add some items ingame to make them less gimpy? Just like they did for eurdite palidins in EQ1 

• 898 posts
    May 2, 2020 11:13 AM PDT

@Erizo - I'm sure there will be items that make some players better than others regardless of race, as well as expansions (and buffs) that will eventually make the differences between races trivial.  But I get what you are saying in regard to those small differences making a significant difference at the early stages of a game.

• 47 posts
    May 23, 2020 6:50 PM PDT

I think the more options they have, the better. I'm currently thinking Dwarf Paladin, Archai Monk, and possibly of it's available at launch a Gnome/Skar necromancer. I don't know; I have to look at the Paladin stuff again, and hopefully, they fix up what the Dwarves look like currently since they look very weird to me.

• 452 posts
    May 24, 2020 6:23 AM PDT

I was thinking Dark Myr as well. That'd be the best bet.

MauvaisOeil said: Well I assumed they would remove Shaman for humans  :P . 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Humans lose Shaman and or Druid. Druids are already far too frequent as a class choice with the racial options given the other healers and in particular, Cleric. Also, the loss doesn't mean anything for Ranger since this isn't EQ where the Druid and Ranger are mechanically linked. Humans can keep Rangers but lose Druids.

I could also argue for Humans losing Wizard and Summoner but keeping Enchanter and Necromancer giving the four pure casters four race options (since Necro is capped at 4). This can be rationalized that the purist of magical races would have that function and Humans aren't quite there. Since Enchanters operate on a slightly different medium, Humans can become them. However, Dark Myr, Elf, Gnome and the elemental Archai all fit the bill. 

That right there has Humans losing Druid, Wizard, Summoner and possibly Shaman. Right there, that looks a bit more appropriate from a matrix point of view.

Counterfleche said: I suspect it's one of the following: 1) Hafling Enchanter: Haflings are playful tricksters and Enchanting is about tricking or coercing...

Probably not. It doesn't work all that well with the racial background and matters of the arcane. Giving Dwarf as an option was a hell of a stretch and probably didn't have to happen. However, they seem to be keen to keeping the pure casters at five racial selections. It's probably in part why Summoner was given Archai to push their number to five with Enchanter and Wizard. Giving Enchanters a sixth just doesn't seem like something they'll do. That's just my guess though.

This post was edited by Janus at May 24, 2020 6:29 AM PDT
    • 1818 posts
    May 24, 2020 7:34 AM PDT

Janus said:

I was thinking Dark Myr as well. That'd be the best bet.

MauvaisOeil said: Well I assumed they would remove Shaman for humans  :P . 

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Humans lose Shaman and or Druid. Druids are already far too frequent as a class choice with the racial options given the other healers and in particular, Cleric. Also, the loss doesn't mean anything for Ranger since this isn't EQ where the Druid and Ranger are mechanically linked. Humans can keep Rangers but lose Druids.

I could also argue for Humans losing Wizard and Summoner but keeping Enchanter and Necromancer giving the four pure casters four race options (since Necro is capped at 4). This can be rationalized that the purist of magical races would have that function and Humans aren't quite there. Since Enchanters operate on a slightly different medium, Humans can become them. However, Dark Myr, Elf, Gnome and the elemental Archai all fit the bill. 

That right there has Humans losing Druid, Wizard, Summoner and possibly Shaman. Right there, that looks a bit more appropriate from a matrix point of view.

I'm not interested in a mathematical balancing. Race/class restriction must make sense over the lore written and the vibes of a race, not to please players in a balance standpoint. I consider Priests (Cleric/druid/shaman) as representative of the beliefs of the race and I find odd a race can believe in anything at the same time, yet have strict temples and knightly heritage, which is why I find odd they have shamans. Druids could be considered as a side hippie cult but two of them with only once city seems really odd.

• 452 posts
    May 24, 2020 9:30 AM PDT

Yeah, in that I agree as the priest aspect, I thought as that being one of the reasons it doesn't make all that much sense. Clerics yet in the same city you have Shamans which are more out in the wild, same for Druids and the idea of it within Thronefast doesn't seem all that normal.

• 60 posts
    June 8, 2020 1:43 AM PDT

Aw, it's kind of too bad to hear about it changing, in my opinion. I thought the matrix as it stands is perfect. It all says so much about each race/class. Enchanters as the one dwarf magician, summoners noticeably missing from archai, paladins from myr, gnomes as the one race without warriors... good stuff that lines up powerfully to almost give you their perspective without reading them.