Forums » The Dire Lord

All tanks look balanced - DL rejoice!

• 473 posts
    March 5, 2020 6:44 PM PST

Coming off the latest (March 5th) newsletter stream, Joppa specifically said that even though all 3 tanks perform the roles differently (and wear different armor), the actual balance as far as mitigation/avoidance and their class abilities look very promising. This coming after several thousand combat simulations ran in their new combat simulation tool for tuning and balancing.

Also confirmed, Dire Lords will be able to have higher health pools. Unsure if this was from CD's/short-term or just in general.

• 502 posts
    March 5, 2020 7:18 PM PST

Fragile said:

Coming off the latest (March 5th) newsletter stream, Joppa specifically said that even though all 3 tanks perform the roles differently (and wear different armor), the actual balance as far as mitigation/avoidance and their class abilities look very promising. This coming after several thousand combat simulations ran in their new combat simulation tool for tuning and balancing.

Also confirmed, Dire Lords will be able to have higher health pools. Unsure if this was from CD's/short-term or just in general.

THREE TINY minutes late to the stream and see what I miss?

Thanks for the update :D

• 73 posts
    March 6, 2020 8:58 AM PST

Im hoping they get the Dire Lord nailed down as an effective tank they sound very exciting to play 

• 502 posts
    March 6, 2020 11:01 AM PST

DL has been one of the "for sure" classes I've been planning to play since the very beginning. It's great to hear VR address some of the worries about them I've heard expressed.

• 2 posts
    March 6, 2020 2:18 PM PST

Hearing about how Joppa talked about the DL's parry chance intrigued me as well. Will we be seeing something similar to WoW's Death Knight blood specialization where they have heightened parry and a chance to parry spells as well?

• 804 posts
    March 6, 2020 6:28 PM PST

Joefatawesome said:

Hearing about how Joppa talked about the DL's parry chance intrigued me as well. Will we be seeing something similar to WoW's Death Knight blood specialization where they have heightened parry and a chance to parry spells as well?

That's exactly what I thought of when I heard Joppa mention that.  Dual wielding, high HP, higher parry chance, self healing.  DK was definitely my favorite class in WoW (although I stopped playing just before cataclysm).  If DL could wear plate I would play them for sure; not because of the amount of armor or mitigation, but because if I roleplay a "tank" I want to imagine my character "plated" like a "tank".  I don't like the term "meat shield" and that's what I feel like when I play games with characters that taunt and don't wear plate.  That's just my hang up though.  Sounds like the DL is going to be a great meat shield ;)

• 2 posts
    March 8, 2020 10:32 AM PDT

Darch said:

Joefatawesome said:

That's exactly what I thought of when I heard Joppa mention that.  Dual wielding, high HP, higher parry chance, self healing.  DK was definitely my favorite class in WoW (although I stopped playing just before cataclysm).  If DL could wear plate I would play them for sure; not because of the amount of armor or mitigation, but because if I roleplay a "tank" I want to imagine my character "plated" like a "tank".  I don't like the term "meat shield" and that's what I feel like when I play games with characters that taunt and don't wear plate.  That's just my hang up though.  Sounds like the DL is going to be a great meat shield ;)

I enjoyed DK the most during WTLK as well. They moved away from the dual wield tank to a 2H tank in the blood tree which I never agreed with, but whatever. I think WoW is a good source of inspiration for the DL's feel. I don't want them to make the same class of course, the mechanics they were showing on the website were awesome to read and I hope they keep to those outlines. Edged 1H or 2H sort of reaver. 

• 804 posts
    March 11, 2020 4:51 PM PDT

I will likely try out all 3 tanks in Alpha (if we are allowed to).  I've always played the "evil" themed knight in every MMO, although in my heart I would've loved to have played the Paladin - I just REALLY hate humans and dwarves in a fantasy game.  Humans and Dwarves exist IRL.  

Here's to hoping that the Paladin becomes available to a cooler race ;)