Forums » Pantheon Races

Racial activated abilities

• 291 posts
    February 26, 2020 12:29 PM PST

Sorry if Im overlooking it but I have used the search feature which never seems to help me much here, so maybe one of you guys heard something. Do we have any heads up on when this information is coming? I was hoping that these particular details wouldnt be teased out, as knowing what class/combo Im going to play is a nagging thing Id like to solve and helps me be "there" in my vision. From all I know (think napoleon hill) this would potentially create a huge boon of creative energy into the PROTF project at large. Anyone with me? Sorry if this is spammy, just need to express this desire.

• 363 posts
    February 26, 2020 1:42 PM PST

I agree, I think seeing the actives could be really intriguing to many and help push players closer to their desired race/class combination. The passives were huge information, I would love to see the actives too.

• 1992 posts
    February 26, 2020 4:24 PM PST

I wouldn't be surprised if we see them this summer, but I don't honestly remember any particular statements on them.

• 46 posts
    February 26, 2020 7:37 PM PST

Do we know there will be activated for races? In many ways I hope there won't.

• 363 posts
    February 26, 2020 7:50 PM PST

Zosu said:

No I don't believe we know there will be, but I would be surprised if there weren't.

• 379 posts
    February 26, 2020 7:55 PM PST

There are actives and they are coming "soon". 

Example: Battle-Hardened - Grants an innate 25% chance to resist non-magical Stun effects. This becomes 100% immunity to non-magical Stuns during Battle Trance [Active] <----

• 520 posts
    February 27, 2020 12:34 AM PST

The actives were pretty much confirmed, but for specific source you'd need to find someone who remembers where it was mentioned. 

I'd definitely love to see actives as soon as possible along with (at least preliminary) skill details - theorycrafting is awsome but it can take quite a lot of time - the sooner we will get that information before we will be able to play the better.

• 291 posts
    February 27, 2020 6:13 AM PST

Hegenox said:

I'd definitely love to see actives as soon as possible along with (at least preliminary) skill details - theorycrafting is awsome but it can take quite a lot of time - the sooner we will get that information before we will be able to play the better.

Nice to know Im not alone here. I guess many of us looking forward to that time when we can start making our sigs and stuff. Good times.

• 1860 posts
    February 28, 2020 10:12 AM PST

Ben Dean  said racial actives "will be coming soon, they are one of the next things up in the queue" back in a stream on November 26th 2019.  

I don't know how long the queue is but there have been half a dozen streams since then. 

Hopefully this isn't one of those things we are told will happen "soon" but then never happens.

This post was edited by philo at February 28, 2020 10:16 AM PST
    • 1860 posts
    February 28, 2020 10:15 AM PST

Flossie said:

Zosu said:

No I don't believe we know there will be, but I would be surprised if there weren't.

They have said there are racial actives.  See my post above.

• 291 posts
    February 28, 2020 10:58 AM PST

philo said:

Ben Dean  said racial actives "will be coming soon, they are one of the next things up in the queue" back in a stream on November 26th 2019.  

I don't know how long the queue is but there have been half a dozen streams since then. 

Hopefully this isn't one of those things we are told will happen "soon" but then never happens.

Thanks for that philo thats eactly what I was looking for.

Hopefully indeed.

• 1273 posts
    March 3, 2020 2:34 PM PST

Deleted because I'm ignorant.

This post was edited by Ranarius at March 3, 2020 2:36 PM PST
    • 1860 posts
    March 3, 2020 8:12 PM PST

Ranarius said:

Now I'm curious what it was lol

• 137 posts
    March 4, 2020 6:33 AM PST
    I’d have to say that the active racials are on the top of my list for what I want to see. I love theorycrafting. It would also help to know things such as what abilities are based on what magic base. For example, are shaman healing abilities considered water? Are their dots considered nature? Would water based abilities fall under the “nature” umbrella? How many magic bases are there total?
    • 1273 posts
    March 4, 2020 10:17 AM PST

philo said:

Ranarius said:

Now I'm curious what it was lol

Haha...well ok.  I had asked something like "We don't know any of the official raicials yet do we?  (not even the passives?)"  

• 379 posts
    March 4, 2020 6:33 PM PST

Ranarius said:

Haha...well ok.  I had asked something like "We don't know any of the official raicials yet do we?  (not even the passives?)"  

We know the Ogre get an active called: Battle Trance

The only thing we know about it is that it boosts their Passive (Battle-Hardened) to 100% stun resist for the duration, but I am sure there is a main or secondary effect associated with it.

• 137 posts
    March 5, 2020 6:24 AM PST
    If there is more to their active, they will be pretty stacked when it comes to their racials (passive and active). Help a fellow skar out and give us a sick racial to make up for our mediocre passives :)
    • 67 posts
    March 18, 2020 5:40 PM PDT

In the October 2019 Video Newsletter, Joppa said we can "look forward to an upcomming segment where we cover the innate active abilities as well as starting attributes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUQ3hpZNks

26:40 to be exact...

I'm really excited for this information. It helps theory crafting and that builds more anticipation for the game in my opinion.

And i agree with you here:

Wig said: If there is more to their active, they will be pretty stacked when it comes to their racials (passive and active). Help a fellow skar out and give us a sick racial to make up for our mediocre passives :)

I really hope SKAR have some good activate abilities - I feel like their movement speed buff is the worst passive racial ability. It is the only passive abllity dependent on very specific criteria to be effective, and its feels very underwhelming to have a maximum of 5% increased movement speed added with the prerequisite of having a specific group composition to do anything at all.  I love the concept, models and lore behind the Skar... But like i said - hopefully they have activate abilities that are more appealing so people will actually play them.

This post was edited by ShaggNasty at March 18, 2020 5:42 PM PDT
    • 1860 posts
    March 20, 2020 1:22 PM PDT

ShaggNasty said:

I really hope SKAR have some good activate abilities - I feel like their movement speed buff is the worst passive racial ability. It is the only passive abllity dependent on very specific criteria to be effective, and its feels very underwhelming to have a maximum of 5% increased movement speed added with the prerequisite of having a specific group composition to do anything at all.  I love the concept, models and lore behind the Skar... But like i said - hopefully they have activate abilities that are more appealing so people will actually play them.

I see the run speed inactive as being a pretty powerful skar monk ability.  Tag/Split pulling difficult content will require 2 or more monks (3 or 4  likely being ideal ).  That extra bonus run speed that stacks with all other run speed buffs will probably be pretty important.

This post was edited by philo at March 21, 2020 2:35 AM PDT
    • 291 posts
    April 3, 2020 5:34 PM PDT

philo said:

ShaggNasty said:

I see the run speed inactive as being a pretty powerful skar monk ability.  Tag/Split pulling difficult content will require 2 or more monks (3 or 4  likely being ideal ).  That extra bonus run speed that stacks with all other run speed buffs will probably be pretty important.

Great observation. I assume your dead on. Also, bump. Hopefully this gets some attention!

• 137 posts
    May 14, 2020 1:16 PM PDT
    The movement bonus is up to 5% and I don’t believe it stacks, if say you have 3 skar in group, I think your movement is still only up to 5%. Also, was it mentioned if it stacks with other speed buffs like SoW?

Anyway, I would definitely see stacking skar into their own groups during a raid. Say there’s 4 groups in raid, they would probably stack all the skar into one for their speed buff. As for endgame, that would be pretty neat to have 2 skar monks for pulling mobs with their increased run speed.

We won’t really know how useful some of our passives will be until we step ingame. For example, the dwarf immunity to disarm seems pretty amazing for a tank, but we don’t know the percentage of mobs that disarm. It could be very low. Also, there could be some special gloves or enchant we can get at endgame that would make our character immune to disarm.

I almost wish racials weren’t so weighted on combat. It certainly sways your decision on what race is right for what class. I do like the flavor of it though. I was hoping the racials could have an effect on how you play and gear a class..like a paladin rolling a race with high wisdom/intellect, focusing more on spell damage abilities or that same paladin rolling a class with high str and dex which focuses more on physical damage.
    • 1860 posts
    May 19, 2020 6:12 AM PDT

I believe it was mentioned by CP in a stream that it stacks with sow type of movement buffs, yes.  But ya,  it doesnt stack with itself multiple times if you have a group full of skar.

• 612 posts
    August 31, 2020 7:09 AM PDT

Skar passive called Pack Hunter reads: Increases movement speed up to a maximum of 5% when in range of skar group members.

Wig said: "The movement bonus is up to 5% and I don’t believe it stacks, if say you have 3 skar in group, I think your movement is still only up to 5%."

Philo said: " But ya,  it doesnt stack with itself multiple times if you have a group full of skar."

This is not how I understand it.

This is a bonus that you get for having other Skar in your group up to a max of 5%. Since you can only have 5 other Skar in your party and 5% is the max, it will likely be: each extra Skar member you are grouped with you gain 1% speed boost.

2 Skar in party = 1% bonus
    3 Skar in party = 2% bonus
    4 Skar in party = 3% bonus
    5 Skar in party = 4% bonus
    6 Skar in party = 5% bonus

This bonus of course has an Aura Range so the bonus will fluctuate if these other Skar move too far away from each other.

• 945 posts
    May 29, 2023 8:54 PM PDT

Bumping this post back to current; As well as adding this as a burning question:

Is there any progress on even ideas of activated racial abilities?
    I can't even seriously consider which race to play without knowing everything they're going to bring to the game that is unique.

This post was edited by Darch at May 29, 2023 8:55 PM PDT
    • 888 posts
    June 10, 2023 9:49 AM PDT

I expect that they will wait until all races have been playable for a while and they have adequate balance and feedback.   That way the activated abilities will be designed with a good feel for what's needed and for how they can help keep things balanced.   It's much harder to design all this in advance and try to make it all fit properly.   That said, I'm sure they have some very good ideas on what they want and a big part of not telling us is to not paint themselves into a corner if something isn't fun, is grossly imbalanced,  or doesn't work as intended.