Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - You continue to wipe on a new group boss

• 9115 posts
    February 13, 2020 3:09 AM PST

Scenario - You continue to wipe on a new group boss and you all start to become frustrated, what's your next move? (use a bit of imagination and place yourself in a scenario of your choosing) #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 70 posts
    February 13, 2020 3:13 AM PST

ignore this comment...Need to read better!

This post was edited by Qulash at February 13, 2020 3:24 AM PST
    • 624 posts
    February 13, 2020 3:50 AM PST

As with most of your questions, the answer is...it depends!

In a pickup group of scrubs (I grab PUGs now and then to make new friends or when I have time outside my normal schedule) I would likely suggest we take a break, log for a bit, go outside / exercise / do something fun out of game. When I know we should be able to defeat a mob, but random folk keep making unforced errors (after several ignored admonitions), I give up and move on - life's too short. Jot a few notes / save logs for when I come back later.

In my normal friends & family group - we would continue to discuss crazy ways to overcome whatever next puzzle is stopping us. We don't mind wiping on new challenges while working them out, and we trust each other after years of playing together. The voice com discussions remain fun, even during setbacks - including the days of old when exps/level loss were real. Each of us is pretty good at observing changes and adjusting rapidly, so it doesn't take many attempts unless we are sorely under geared / leveled which becomes obvious very quickly.

In a guild raid situation, I avoid discord cacophony (too many folk talking simultaneously adds confusion in my opinion) and just /tell the raid leader succinct suggestions to mix up tactics or point out observations. Sometimes we run a sub channel with the best strategists.

In the end, the mob will be defeated!

• 521 posts
    February 13, 2020 4:01 AM PST

I’ll quit doing the activity that’s making me frustrated, it’s either me (or the group) not being ready for the encounter from gear,tactics ect.. Or the encounters out of balance in someway.

Either way I’m not interested in beating my head against a wall, so frustration equals take a break for me.

• 3237 posts
    February 13, 2020 4:40 AM PST

If my group repeatedly died to a group boss ... I would record the wipes, and then bring a bunch of extra friends.  I would then record all of us zerging that content and use that video as a before & after example of a balanced/tuned/challenging encounter that gets reduced to a loot pinata.  All in protest, of course.

• 627 posts
    February 13, 2020 5:07 AM PST
    I dont become mad/frustrated when i play, its all fun n games! If we are unsuccesfull for a long time, ill crack a joke and comeback another time.
    • 217 posts
    February 13, 2020 5:11 AM PST

Blame the Cleric,

Rage quit,

Log my Alt Cleric,

/shout Cleric LFG!!

• 124 posts
    February 13, 2020 5:19 AM PST

well, you just said we kept wiping and we start to become frustrated, so the next thing is becomming frustrated? the answer lies in the question.

IF you're wondering what my next move would be if i can't beat the group boss. It would be different tactics, booze, different classes, asking friends, guild, shout, ooc, whatever. Not untill i run out of time or idea's till i quit.

• 3852 posts
    February 13, 2020 6:08 AM PST

I remember what mother said so often during toilet training. It is always important to wipe.

• 2419 posts
    February 13, 2020 7:28 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Scenario - You continue to wipe on a new group boss and you all start to become frustrated, what's your next move? (use a bit of imagination and place yourself in a scenario of your choosing) #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Record all the attemps, analyze each fight by reading over all the combat logs and watching the footage and match NPC action to player reactions (and vice versa).  Adjust strategy and try again.  Repeat until victory.  Frustration only sets in when we know what to do and when to do it but people aren't paying attention/being lazy and we continue to wipe.

That said, if the encounter is deliberately broken/unfinished ala Plane of EarthB so as to stop players from entering the yet unfinished Plane of Time, then I get frustrated and pissed at the developers for being lying #&%$@#%s.

• 145 posts
    February 13, 2020 7:43 AM PST
    I usually am encouraging joking to keep the mood lighter to lessen anxiety about the situation. I might also suggest a short break to reset the vibe.
    • 1273 posts
    February 13, 2020 7:50 AM PST

This part should go without saying, but we discuss what is going well, what is going poorly, what changes we can make in our strategy, etc.  I am the type of player that likes a challenge and I don't mind dying several times trying to learn how to beat that challenge.  I also typically surround myself with the same type of person so I imagine my group would also agree to this plan...

I take the group out for drinks at the nearest tavern (in-game).  We hang out and chill there for a bit, get a few drinks in us, then hit it again with renewed vigour!!  

• 1785 posts
    February 13, 2020 7:50 AM PST

Being honest, it's going to depend on who I'm with.  I am super-patient with learning new things and I don't generally give up.  However, in many years of playing and leading groups and raids, I've seen plenty of other people who will start to get frustrated and tired and their performance will suffer as a result.  As a raid leader I usually see this happen around the 3-hour mark although it can sometimes happen sooner.  When you hit that point, sometimes it's better to just stop and come back another day - let everyone have a chance to maybe get some different gear, or take a break and clear their heads and come back at it fresh.  There have also been occasions where the group is just getting stomped so hard by the boss every time that I've realized we're not going to get it down today, and we should just admit defeat.  Thankfully, those occasions are relatively rare :)

• 87 posts
    February 13, 2020 7:57 AM PST

Nephele said:

Being honest, it's going to depend on who I'm with.  I am super-patient with learning new things and I don't generally give up.  However, in many years of playing and leading groups and raids, I've seen plenty of other people who will start to get frustrated and tired and their performance will suffer as a result.  As a raid leader I usually see this happen around the 3-hour mark although it can sometimes happen sooner.  When you hit that point, sometimes it's better to just stop and come back another day - let everyone have a chance to maybe get some different gear, or take a break and clear their heads and come back at it fresh.  There have also been occasions where the group is just getting stomped so hard by the boss every time that I've realized we're not going to get it down today, and we should just admit defeat.  Thankfully, those occasions are relatively rare :)

yeah i think this is a realistic reply

• 1428 posts
    February 13, 2020 8:30 AM PST

heh.  i'd just hang out as long as the group continues.  i'm a sadist afterall.  pure gold entertainment and if we succeed then i just witnessed something beautiful.  it'll be gloriously romantic either way.

dun dun dunnnnnnn

will our adventurers be enveloped by the endless struggle or a moment of truimph?  stay tuned fellow viewers and find out!

(outro song)

• 2756 posts
    February 13, 2020 10:05 AM PST

If you start to become frustrated it's time to tell a quick joke, tell everyone to pull out all the stops and put their big girl pants on for one last go and then, if that fails, quit for the day.

Do some more research and planning and try again next day/week/month.

I want Pantheon to be a long-term thing. No sense getting negative or rushing things or burning out.

This post was edited by disposalist at February 13, 2020 10:09 AM PST
    • 438 posts
    February 13, 2020 5:13 PM PST
    Honestly? If I were paying attention to the encounter and notice what the weak link is, in this example a lower level/geared player, I’d ask them to leave. I know it sounds harsh but it is also attached to myself. If we’re, as in the group, not succeeding due to a single player tank/healer/dps then it’s only fair
    To everybody else in the group to step aside. Let someone else in that can help to proceed.
    • 159 posts
    February 13, 2020 7:41 PM PST

If I start to get frustrated. I'll have to take a break before it triggers my PTSD and come back later.

• 1399 posts
    February 13, 2020 8:19 PM PST

It's a game, I don't ever recall taking a mmo so seriously that I really got frustrated. However there were always times to call it quits, 

If others wanted to call it.

If it got late and I had work the next day.

In EQ, if one of us de-leveled, (if we couldn't handle it prior, we definitely couldn't now.) The plan would change to grind that player back up and try again .

• 945 posts
    February 13, 2020 8:51 PM PST

I'll likely only have a few hours to play at a time, so for me it would depend on the death penalty/wipe recovery time.  I don't mind failing an encounter (especially if it was close, or there was something valuable learned) but I don't enjoy wasting precious time if I could be doing something productive.

• 2138 posts
    February 14, 2020 6:53 AM PST

I would make 3 maybe 4 attempts. But like others  said, try to lighten the mood, discuss tactics. Pretty much what Nephele said.

4+ attempt encouragers: if we seem to be bringing the boss down significantly further each time.

2+ attempt discouragers: it's apparent this is way out of our league.

3+ sour grapes with a win: when someone gets help from a higher level player or uber raid geared player, Takes some of the steam out.  

• 557 posts
    February 14, 2020 8:49 AM PST

With deference to Nietzsche, "What kills you makes you smarter."

Stand up, dust off, take notes, try a smarter approach.

• 1921 posts
    February 14, 2020 9:13 AM PST

Go work off the unavoidable stacking death debuff and try again later. :)
    Oh, and parse the client side log file of the previous attempts to see where things could be improved.

• 1860 posts
    February 14, 2020 11:02 AM PST

Repeatedly bang our head into the wall until we lose a level.  End for the night.  Come back the next day fresh and the whole guild runs exp groups to get back to cap and talks about refining our strategy for the next time we get a chance at the mob.

• 144 posts
    February 14, 2020 12:05 PM PST
    I start reading combat logs to understand the fight. Then adjust as needed. Take a few more tries, and if not making progress it's either 1: we need to come back in a level or two, 2) get better gear if somebody is severely undergeared) or 3) realize somebody isn't skilled in the group and ignore it and carry on with the group ..but then come back at a later time with my "A team" guildy group or whatever.