Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

pantheon falls to 2nd most anticipated game on mmorpg

• 16 posts
    February 10, 2020 12:41 PM PST

look im one of pantheons biggest fanbois i played EQ from launch till the serpents spine. i played vanguard from beta till they closed the servers down even with the poor performance and bugs features.

with all that said inlight of brads passing  i think now more then ever its time to spill a juicy bean to renew the hype in the project.

the streams are nice but if i had to pick one word to decribe them it would be underwelming. am i being overly critical? maybe

but when im starting to second guess the project as a long time 44 year old gamer. with deep roots and love for these games. kinda worries me about drawing in more funding or talent to make this project a fitting end to a gaming legends career.

Do us all a service and wow the community with something.

• 2419 posts
    February 10, 2020 1:14 PM PST

azmodeus said:

the streams are nice but if i had to pick one word to decribe them it would be underwelming. am i being overly critical? maybe

Do us all a service and wow the community with something.

We, and by we I mean myself and quite literally hundreds upon hundreds of others, have been saying the same thing for 5 years now.

That said, they are getting better and I want them to know that I appreciate their ever improving efforts.  Newsletters are showing more, on the streams they both show and talk more about actual game mechanics and on some fan shows (like the Pantheon-Plus twitch stream) mulitple devs are there actively engaging with people in chat.

This post was edited by Vandraad at February 10, 2020 1:16 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    February 10, 2020 1:16 PM PST

eh no king rules forever just as no game remains the most anticipated ever.

it could be brads wishes to keep the beans from spilling.  who knows?

u know there was this old man gardener that use to tell me a little sun, a little water and a bit of poop(ya know what i mean) is all it needs.  then ya leave it alone and let time do the work.

maybe gamers and society are so use to getting things now.  maybe it's amazon and 1 day shipping?  perhaps posting a tweet and getting likes instantly?

i will admit streams seem underwhelming.  maybe just because the competition is really stiff and some of the games out there are just. better for that target audience.  well time will tell.

• 2038 posts
    February 10, 2020 1:17 PM PST

I don't understand. In Dec. Pantheon was voted #1.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11436/voted-mmorpg-s-most-anticipated-mmo

I thought those were annual awards, so how does it get changed 2 months later? Could you please link to it?

Apart from that, publicity is a tricky issue. Raising a lot of hype is great in the months leading up to a big release, either game release or the start of Alpha/Beta. But timing is everything, attracting attention and then not having anything big to immediately offer will cause more harm than help. So staying on top of a fansite's popularity contest when we're NOT about to have a big release is potentially counterproductive.

But for the record, I don't object to 'juicy beans' :)

• 1428 posts
    February 10, 2020 1:41 PM PST

Jothany said:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11436/voted-mmorpg-s-most-anticipated-mmo

I thought those were annual awards, so how does it get changed 2 months later? Could you please link to it?

Apart from that, publicity is a tricky issue. Raising a lot of hype is great in the months leading up to a big release, either game release or the start of Alpha/Beta. But timing is everything, attracting attention and then not having anything big to immediately offer will cause more harm than help. So staying on top of a fansite's popularity contest when we're NOT about to have a big release is potentially counterproductive.

that was last year.  it's 2020 sir :D

• 2419 posts
    February 10, 2020 1:50 PM PST

Jothany said:

There is also the issue of 'anticipated' when it comes to realistically being able to play it in that year.  We have no realistic expectation of seeing Pantheon released or even in alpha this year.  Frankly that site should really limit their choices to game that will be released in that year, not something that is X number (and changing) of years out from release.

• 2138 posts
    February 10, 2020 2:47 PM PST

I can see this, there are always games in development and as they come to market they will surge to popularity near to and upon release. I think Pantheon will still have a groundswell or a permanence that will hold it in the top 5 and undulating upwards and back even within the new releases from other studios and even with little or slow bean spillage. The devs even said they need to keep some things to themselves, they cannot show everything to keep the eventuall release "new".

And- saying this with much *phsaw, yeah right* incredulity, there are other production companies that are trying to schedule their releases so they are against pantheon in an attempt to outshine pantheon. Now, why would they care? Unless it is because of that recognized  groundswell or permanence that exists for Pantheon amongst the people, and they are concerned by it from a business standpoint? while we- oblivious to their angst- carry on about our day(s), happy to hear from our old friends on the forums and our old friends the devs.

Us four and no more, shut the door. Who cares what they say, we will always be here, everyone is welcome.

• 363 posts
    February 10, 2020 3:30 PM PST

You gotta remember if they show us everything in streams, there will be nothing left to discover ourselves once the game is live.

• 133 posts
    February 10, 2020 4:33 PM PST

Manouk said:

...there are other production companies that are trying to schedule their releases so they are against pantheon in an attempt to outshine pantheon....

Us four and no more, shut the door. Who cares what they say, we will always be here, everyone is welcome.

I have a question on this section that I quoted. I want to know how other game companies are scheduling their game be be released against pantheon...when VR themselves haven't even stated a release date? Why would a game company withhold a game they have nearly completed in order to compete with Pantheon upon release? The company might very well starve before Pantheon is released. There is no way a company is going to hold off a game launch to compete with pantheon if they can make the money now. So again, I ask, how are they going to time a release of a game to compete with pantheon if VR hasn't given a deadline for when its coming out?

• 2038 posts
    February 10, 2020 5:02 PM PST

stellarmind said:

that was last year.  it's 2020 sir :D

That is true. Yet, it was a 'best of the year' type article for 2019 that released in Dec 2019 and thus leads me to expect the 'best of the year' for 2020 to come out in Dec as well. Not Feb. But who knows, mmorpg mag might not agree with me :D

Vandraad said:

Frankly that site should really limit their choices to game that will be released in that year, not something that is X number (and changing) of years out from release.

I agree. I remember thinking that the 1st. time Panth won. Maybe 'Most Hoped For' should be the category for Good Things on the Horizon that just haven't declared a target date to open.

• 2756 posts
    February 11, 2020 1:34 AM PST

Streams are always somewhat underwhelming - you cannot convey in a stream how involving and immersive it is for the one playing, especially with an MMORPG. The pace isn't made for "wow" viewing (though I'm loving the spell effects and lighting - some wow factor there).

Under NDA I will just say what I have *not* heard and that is anyone saying the game wasn't good to play even nearly a year ago. With the improvements since then and the new content, pre-alpha testers are gagging to get their hands on it.

• 844 posts
    February 11, 2020 5:21 AM PST

Aside from keeping a steady stream of new pledgers visiting the site, I give no fucks for contrived gimmicks so-called game news sites play to keep readers engaged.

I to started EQ pre-launch in 98' and played Vanguard from beta till sunset.

the pre-hype for new games these days get so ridiculously out of control that nothing ever lives up to expectation.

• 2138 posts
    February 11, 2020 7:30 AM PST

OCastitatisLilium said:

Manouk said:

...there are other production companies that are trying to schedule their releases so they are against pantheon in an attempt to outshine pantheon....

I have a question on this section that I quoted. I want to know how other game companies are scheduling their game be be released against pantheon...when VR themselves haven't even stated a release date? Why would a game company withhold a game they have nearly completed in order to compete with Pantheon upon release? The company might very well starve before Pantheon is released. There is no way a company is going to hold off a game launch to compete with pantheon if they can make the money now. So again, I ask, how are they going to time a release of a game to compete with pantheon if VR hasn't given a deadline for when its coming out?

Me too, I recall reading that on a daybreak forum, prior to their split into Darkpaw when talking about a re-release attempt for EQnext. In wondered if they knoew something I didnt know or had friends that talked.

• 3852 posts
    February 11, 2020 8:19 AM PST

Firstly the vote means as little when we lose as when we win. Though when we win that isn't as popular a thing to say here. It may be more a question of who got their fans to the polls in greater quantities (and maybe voting many times each using different addresses) than of any changing opinions.

Secondly the key word is "anticipated". Whether VR is doing the right thing in the time they are taking is a matter of opinion. Most of us feel they are but that opinion is not unanimous. Yet it leaves the realm of opinion and enters the realm of fact to say that things have gone more slowly than we OR VR anticipated in terms of an alpha release date, much less beta or release. And it is hard to take a gane that hasn't even reached alpha yet too seriously out in the real world beyond the fanatic fanbase - us. 

So I think any falloff is surely related to how long things are taking rather than to opinions about the quality of what has been done to-date.

This post was edited by dorotea at February 11, 2020 8:19 AM PST
    • 947 posts
    February 11, 2020 11:08 AM PST

dorotea said:

I think any falloff is surely related to how long things are taking rather than to opinions about the quality of what has been done to-date.

This.

• 1785 posts
    February 12, 2020 1:25 PM PST

So in the spirit of caring where Pantheon ranks on MMO news and opinion sites, MOP published this today: https://massivelyop.com/2020/02/12/perfect-ten-mmos-im-optimistic-about-in-2020/

Pantheon is number 9 on their list, and one of the few titles listed that isn't already out or in late beta. What was more interesting to me is what the author had to say about why he included it in his list.

This post was edited by Nephele at February 12, 2020 1:29 PM PST
    • 2756 posts
    February 12, 2020 1:41 PM PST

Nephele said:

So in the spirit of caring where Pantheon ranks on MMO news and opinion sites, MOP published this today: https://massivelyop.com/2020/02/12/perfect-ten-mmos-im-optimistic-about-in-2020/

Pantheon is number 9 on their list, and one of the few titles listed that isn't already out or in late beta. What was more interesting to me is what the author had to say about why he included it in his list.

That is a weird article. Interesting though.

• 1785 posts
    February 12, 2020 4:18 PM PST

Yeah, I clicked on it more out of curiousity than anything else and was surprised to see Pantheon mentioned.  I appreciate that he was willing to call out Pantheon specifically however, and completely unprompted at that.

• 557 posts
    February 14, 2020 8:55 AM PST

I'm not going to be concerned about rankings until Pantheon falls behind Hello Kitty: Island Adventure.

• 1428 posts
    February 14, 2020 9:07 AM PST

Celandor said:

I'm not going to be concerned about rankings until Pantheon falls behind Hello Kitty: Island Adventure.

at least i could play hello kitty: island adventure >.>

• 1860 posts
    February 14, 2020 10:32 AM PST

Pantheon has been back in first place for a couple days now.  Nothing to see here, move along.

• 1428 posts
    February 14, 2020 10:54 AM PST

philo said:

Pantheon has been back in first place for a couple days now.  Nothing to see here, move along.

these aren't the droids we're looking for XD moving along.

• 71 posts
    February 14, 2020 8:24 PM PST

For those wondering why Pantheon fell to #2 was due to SoL (the game "Saga of Lucimia" that was in first for hype during the time of OPs post) releasing a news letter highlighting the release of their games Stage Three of closed alpha along with the games overall improvements since they went dark and the announcement of their "target" release date as well, all in that very same post called 'Closed Alpha – Stage Three' which got people pretty excited and hyped. But meanwhile on Visionary Realms latest announcements regarding Pantheon; well it's been admittedly a dry spell in 2020 along with the passing of brad still being fresh on some consumers minds. So it's not hard to see how hype would wane a small bit.  

So yeah, that was why the game "beat" Pantheon for a brief period of time in regards to "anticipation" levels.

• 768 posts
    February 14, 2020 9:02 PM PST

As a community member that is supporting the DEVELOPMENT of a game towards the point of launch, one can only try to be as constructive as possible and really be a positive stimulance towards those people that are working on this game. 

The game is being worked on, there is still a long way to go. Understanding what a hype does, can do and how to play that violin properly is vital until launchday and (at least) the first year after that day.

You can't expect a dog to druel for long time without getting frustrated. And indeed it seems frustration is getting the better of some community members.

We must keep in mind, there is still a long road to develop. So keep those horse in a steady trot so that you have room to get those horses excited at the best possible moment.

If you look back at what's happened in the last years to this point in making the game and broadcasting information about the game, you can only recognize that it has increased and gotten more attuned towards the community and for the community. 

To feel underwhelmed about a game in pre alpha... at this point I can not think of any constructive feedback without sounding harsh..  Patience is a virtue not a skill, I'll leave it at that. If I'm not impressed of a game in a final Beta state of development, it can loose credit. Especially several days after launch.  At pre alpha stage,...give me patch notes, I don't expect to be impressed at this point, let me be impressed some other time.

This post was edited by Barin999 at February 14, 2020 9:03 PM PST