Forums » The Shaman

Healing with rgn

• 555 posts
    February 9, 2020 12:55 AM PST
    So after been healing a lot with rgn style healers, im always let down in raids and when i grp with other healers duo to their instant healing just pwns my rgns. It put me in a situation where most of my healing done is actually overhaling and not healing done.

I got an idea, what if you let rgns that is overhealing a player add a damage absorption shield on the player that will be 5-10% of that players hp.

So lets say i cast a rgn on a player my rgn heals for 500 over 5 ticks but just as my rgn lands our cleric instant heals the player back to full. My first tick goes in and add a 100 shield, 3 sec after another 100 shield untill the 5th. Tick if the player did not take further damage he will have a shield for 500 for a short duration.

Maybe its to strong, and only 50% of overhaling should carry on into a shield, but Im sure any rgn healer would be more than happy if this was a thing and will agree that rgns are the lesser strong way to heal compared to cleric i instant style healing.
    • 105 posts
    February 9, 2020 12:14 PM PST

This argument is based on the premise that your instang healing friends are idtiots (sorry to put it so bluntly).  If the cleric in your group or raid doesn't understand your HoT spells then they need to be educated.  I do understand the frustration as a regen healer, but I also have no problem stepping in and educating them on the spot.  You can think of it the other way around if you like, they are wasting THEIR mana, not yours, when they choose to overheal your Heal over Time spell.

This post was edited by Ranarius at February 9, 2020 12:14 PM PST
    • 336 posts
    February 9, 2020 1:28 PM PST

First, I need to understand if by "rgn" healing you mean using Heal-over-Time or is there something else included in that term? My answer is only in regards to HoT.

There are 2 points I should make:

1. In the games I have played, just about every HoT has been more mana-efficient than instant heals. Often by a large margin.

2. I've never played a game where I had an infinite mana supply.

Therefore, HoTs aren't 'less strong' healing, they are important tools for avoiding the dreaded "OOM!!!" Even when playing a Cleric, I consider it a challenge of my skill to do as much healing as possible with HoTs. If I get good enough at it, then I can spend some of my mana doing damage to the mob instead of saving it all for healing.

This post was edited by Jothany at February 9, 2020 1:30 PM PST
    • 1805 posts
    February 9, 2020 6:15 PM PST

I made my reply on this topic to the other thread you started on the General forum.  Oh, and if you reallly want to stimulate a discussion, using 'rgn' instead of actually typing out the word regen or using HoT as, technically, regeneration spells are a wholly different category of health related spells which the Druid has in its spell repertoire.

• 200 posts
    February 10, 2020 7:15 AM PST

Ranarius said:

This argument is based on the premise that your instang healing friends are idtiots (sorry to put it so bluntly).  If the cleric in your group or raid doesn't understand your HoT spells then they need to be educated.  I do understand the frustration as a regen healer, but I also have no problem stepping in and educating them on the spot.  You can think of it the other way around if you like, they are wasting THEIR mana, not yours, when they choose to overheal your Heal over Time spell.

I agree with this any seasoned healer knows that there is a health threshold at which you need to start casting a heal and that when you are working with other healers you also need to account for their strength and weaknesses. It sounds like the healers you were working with didn't understand the synergy present between the classes and the appropriate time to heal. Personally I would have let them blow through their mana first while spot healing/dpsing. Then I would have started healing when they reached the 50 % mana mark.

It also sounds like you may have been in a situation where you didn't require the number of healers that were taken. In truth, most games have an efficiency gradient whereas gear comes in the number of healers needed for an encounter lessen, there may also be boss fights that don't require the same amount of healing, to begin with, and thus the amount healers needed is reduced. If you were in this situation I am sorry I understand how frustrating this can be to be rendered ineffective. In all honesty, this gradient has put me into the position where I have had to put my foot down and clearly state "If I raid with you then I am one of your main healers. I did not sign up to DPS, I will not be swapping to dps, and if you have an issue please, by all means, replace me.".   

As for HoT based healing in general:

I personally feel that it is the goal of a hot based healer when solo healing to keep the group as close to 100% as possible. Knowing the ends and out of your spells helps determine when you need to heal to achieve this goal. As a general rule of thumb, I usually keep the tank(s) fully hotted up and start casting out hots on others when they reach the 95% mark. 

In a raid, this goal changes. It is no longer your sole responsibility to keep people topped off. In this situation, your goal shifts and you want to aim at keeping people in the 75-90% range. This is to provide the reactionary healers with time to get their spells off and either top the person off or put them in a state that your hots finish the job. In this situation, your priority becomes keeping hots rolled out on the tanks, HoTing the raid and, and spot healing individuals who are around 40-50% hp. Now, these goals can change based on healing comp, healing assignments, group/raid composition, special boss mechanics, major healing cooldown rotations. and of course who is currently alive, but in general this is the overall goal.   

*I also made a response in your other post specifically about HOT based healing, healer balance, and a couple of things about the shaman in general.

• 555 posts
    February 10, 2020 10:10 AM PST
    Sry i made the post here first but after posting id thought it fit better for a general discussion. Thanks for your inputs guys.
    • 367 posts
    February 10, 2020 6:38 PM PST

HoT's are incredibly hard to balance, because they are either 1) too weak or 2) too strong. Guild luck VR.

• Wig
    • 210 posts
    February 17, 2020 9:29 AM PST
    HoT based healers with some single target direct heals seem to make great tank healers. You see the benefits of HoTs when the tank is receiving heavy, spikey blows. This may be where the shaman excels.
    • 26 posts
    February 17, 2020 1:59 PM PST

Good points made here. I have full faith in the VR Development team's ability to recognize the nuances of HoTs based healers and balance them accordingly. First thing that springs to mind specifically regarding the shaman is:

Hurry the Past

All healing over time abilities on you and your group members will instantly finish their durations, directly healing their target for the remaining amount. These abilities are then refreshed on their target as if they were just applied.

This Shaman ability could effectively turn your HoTs into direct heals, "finishing the duration and healing for the remaining amount". Throw out 3 hots on your main tank and he takes a big hit and you see the animation wind up again you can pop Hurry the Past and boom...heal him up a big chunk and refresh the HoTs. Now, the real question is what length of cool down will this have.

• 367 posts
    February 19, 2020 3:09 AM PST

It seems as though the shaman healing spell descriptions are just poorly written. All of the HoTs actually have a direct heal (albeit a small one) component. This helps immensely for the class overall, especially when you add in the Ability Point upgrades. Another thing noticed is that the first healing 'tick' of the HoT's seem to trigger on application.

• 1805 posts
    February 19, 2020 7:57 AM PST

Fragile said:

All of the HoTs actually have a direct heal (albeit a small one) component. Another thing noticed is that the first healing 'tick' of the HoT's seem to trigger on application.

Correct.  When the HoT first lands you get a direct heal portion plus the first pulse of the HoT.  Every 3 seconds for the next 24 seconds you get just the pulse heal amounts.  I had asked Joppa about that after a very early stream and he said the initial direct heal portion was necessary so that the HoT would begin immedialy otherwise the first pulse would not begin until the 3rd second after the cast finished.  So we can be thankful, somewhat, that we do get that small direct heal component at the beginning.