Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Things escape from Tarkov is proving.

• 8 posts
    February 5, 2020 10:38 AM PST
    I’ve noticed this game getting extremely popular and I love it because of its old school mmorpg feels.

1. Games can do well being extremely difficult in 2020.

2. Not having a map adds a “feel” and immersion into the game. And people love it. Yes everyone is using online maps anyway. But it still feels amazing to sit and pull up a map yourself. Instead of just knowing all the time.

3. Loosing loot. Not just corpse runs. But full blown just losing everything you’ve worked weeks for in a split second headshot. Reminds me of losing weeks of xp in EQ.

All I. All this isn’t to start a debate. But just excited to see one of the top games be SO difficult to learn and play do so well.

I think pantheon is going to do great. People are obviously ready for a change.
    • 264 posts
    February 5, 2020 10:53 AM PST

My friend really loves that game, but I'm not into shooters. I do like the concepts of Tarkov and yes it does prove there is an audience for difficult games, so did Cuphead. Pantheon can certainly fill a niche in the MMO market if it sticks to it's guns. I believe the age of the WoW clones is ending and hopefully Pantheon leads the way!

• 2130 posts
    February 5, 2020 11:09 AM PST

Based on streams that I have watched, waging war with your UI is 90% of the difficulty of that game.

• 627 posts
    February 5, 2020 11:12 AM PST
    Full loot mmorpgs like Albion Online are for a special kind of people. Also that game is designed around it from start, not somthing that is easily added afterwards without ruining the overall gameplay.
    • 363 posts
    February 11, 2020 8:45 AM PST

As someone who plays Escape From Tarkov, just yes. I love hardcore, challenging, and punishing games. There's a huge audience for these types of games and they are becoming popular again. Look at Sekiro too. I feel like they've been off the market for so long that lots of younger players are actually excited to try something that they perceive as "new". Escape from Tarkov did it for FPS, Sekiro did it for Action-Adventure, it's time for Pantheon to fill that void in the MMORPG genre.

• 1428 posts
    February 11, 2020 9:38 AM PST

i don't think losing loot would work in pantheon.  since gameplay revolves around progression, it would be counterproductive unless mob drops would be increased to compensate for loss of gear.  another point of contention is that there isn't enough skill expression(meaning i can't tell the difference between the class and the player).  if it was a non-tab targeting(meaning i have to aim my skills) with animation locks(gcd), then maybe the system could be put in place.

we can take a look at eso, gw 2, or bdo for example for skill expression.

those combat models could incorporate an escape from tarkov model.

• 363 posts
    February 11, 2020 10:38 AM PST

stellarmind said:

i don't think losing loot would work in pantheon.  since gameplay revolves around progression, it would be counterproductive unless mob drops would be increased to compensate for loss of gear.  another point of contention is that there isn't enough skill expression(meaning i can't tell the difference between the class and the player).  if it was a non-tab targeting(meaning i have to aim my skills) with animation locks(gcd), then maybe the system could be put in place.

we can take a look at eso, gw 2, or bdo for example for skill expression.

those combat models could incorporate an escape from tarkov model.

I think you're looking at the comparison too literally. In a MMO I like the idea of corpse runs and (eventual) corpse rot/item loss, but not instant item loss upon death such is the case with Tarkov.

I think the main takeaway here is that challenging games are on the rise and there is clearly an audience for them.

• 1019 posts
    February 11, 2020 10:56 AM PST

Liav said:

Based on streams that I have watched, waging war with your UI is 90% of the difficulty of that game.

LOL

• 1428 posts
    February 11, 2020 1:03 PM PST

Flossie said:

I think you're looking at the comparison too literally. In a MMO I like the idea of corpse runs and (eventual) corpse rot/item loss, but not instant item loss upon death such is the case with Tarkov.

I think the main takeaway here is that challenging games are on the rise and there is clearly an audience for them.

but.. that's what makes tarkov challenging.  u die you lose it all.  zero sum survivor takes what he loots.  gear doesn't mean everything as one could be outplayed or outskilled.  it has huge player expression.  want to run around and shotty people in the face?  sure.  want to loot and ninja out?  sure.  want to snipe from across the map?  well that's a bit situational, but sure.  that's a huge part of the challenge is it not?  we know item loss isn't going to be a thing in pantheon so the only penality is running back to my body and some exp loss.  having unlimited lives when the game never ends makes it so much easier.

take mario for example:

when i have 3 lives, the game is exponentially more challenging because i can't make as many mistakes.

put in the cheat code or do the turtle 99 lives exploit, boom the game becomes easier because the penality of death isn't daunting when i have unlimited lives.

one could argue the greatest challenge in mmo is finding good teammates that one works well with, their tolerance for failures and the time they can allocate to the game.

so in teh quest for challenge and the downsides here is to, increasing the time for rez, corpse run and the cost to repair is the penality.

challenge is subjective.  if i find las12 difficult to use with my apm hovering around 30, to someone like 187 at 200+apm, las12 is like taking blue angels pro stunt pilot to fly a paper airplane.  

• 11 posts
    February 11, 2020 10:17 PM PST

I was impressed with the visuals in Tarkov...

Looked into it, apparently it uses the Unity engine, same as Pantheon.  I thought that was pretty cool, as the landscapes in Tarkov looked very crisp and the lighting is great.