Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Pantheon DevStream Jan. 20

• 259 posts
    February 5, 2020 7:39 AM PST

If you haven’t seen the latest DevStream from @PantheonMMO Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxLBw997uOI

There was a reference to Enchanting on this DevStream but unfortunately no new beans / information was actually released.

This question was asked during the QA:

Are there any plans for permanent consequences for certain actions in the game? Example: Enchanting armor and trying to put one to many enchants on it and having it permanently destroyed or maybe something quest related.

Joppa responded with: It's a good rule of thumb to think about the positives and negatives, but that will have to be put aside for now as far as anything definitive.

That opens up a whole myriad of questions such as 1) How many times can you enchant an item? 2) Can you remove an enchant from an item? 3) Can the item be permanently destroyed? And many more questions that are still unanswered.

Stay tuned to the bi-weekly DevStream and hopefully we will get a crafting update in the near future.

• 287 posts
    February 7, 2020 1:12 PM PST

I would imagine this will be backburner isse for VR for quite some time, which means all the more time for us to flush out potential pros and cons to potential systems.

The easiest way for me to envision an item enchantment/addon is something akin to an augmentation slot that items will have. You apply an augment (or enchanment as is now being referred to) to that slot, and viola, your item is now enchanted. That gives the opportunity to remove or replace that enchantment through various means (whether you need an ability to do so, or the use of an elixer, or whether you can plug and play at will). Depending on the rarity of the item, you can have multiple slots to these enchantments.

The enchantment system doesn't necessarily have to work that way though. What if an enchantment is a one-use clicky that permanently increases a stat on the item. Or an echnantment that adds either a prefix or a suffix to the item which may or may not be replaceable. There are plenty of novel ways to implement the enchantment system.

I am of the school of thought that actions have consequences. You should not be able to easily undo an action. With that being said, having zero recourse to undo something is too harsh. Using in game currency to undo something, and perhaps a timer to prevent a "pay-to-win" scenario of re-rolling until you get something perfect, is the way to go.

Having the possibility of an item breaking if you put an enhancement seems cruel but awesome. I think it would be a good idea to allow an OP enhancement be placed on any level item, but the lower level of the item, the higher probability of the crafter losing both the enchantment, and breaking the item. This way you could create some sweet twink gear (I love me some good twinks) but at a potentially devastating cost.

• 8 posts
    February 18, 2020 2:47 AM PST

any chance there will be any kind of dyes to change armor?