Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Creator UI contest

This topic has been closed.
    • 36 posts
    December 15, 2019 5:50 AM PST

So, I've seen a lot of back and forth about the UI.  I believe I've also read that the devs intend to allow at least some customization of the UI.  With those thoughts in mind, why are they spending resources on this when they are resource strapped?  I would much rather the tools built out for allowing players to upload their own backgrounds, mods, and adjustments.  

You have a giant community who is passionate about UIs and about your game.  While I don't think artists should work for free, I'd bet if you offered to put their name in the credits of a major game like this you'd have people vying to be the best UI build.  You could then even have the community vote on favorites so that the VR Team would only need 1 short meeting voting on the top 20 or so submissions.  Doing things this way, I'd even recommend launching with 3 or so UIs, each selectable when a new player first starts the game. 

• 1281 posts
    December 15, 2019 6:24 AM PST

Taldaas said:

So, I've seen a lot of back and forth about the UI.  I believe I've also read that the devs intend to allow at least some customization of the UI.  With those thoughts in mind, why are they spending resources on this when they are resource strapped?  I would much rather the tools built out for allowing players to upload their own backgrounds, mods, and adjustments.  

You have a giant community who is passionate about UIs and about your game.  While I don't think artists should work for free, I'd bet if you offered to put their name in the credits of a major game like this you'd have people vying to be the best UI build.  You could then even have the community vote on favorites so that the VR Team would only need 1 short meeting voting on the top 20 or so submissions.  Doing things this way, I'd even recommend launching with 3 or so UIs, each selectable when a new player first starts the game. 

They've already said that they have plans to support "community made" UIs.  There's is nothing precluding this sort of "contest" outside of official Pantheon channels.

• 291 posts
    December 15, 2019 7:08 AM PST

Id just like to add that this is a great idea and beats the death out of naysaying what the devs have created. This is what Im talking about all over the forums when I say we can better use our energies to help rather than hinder. If there were a thumbs up option youd get 2 from me. Thanks OP.

• 521 posts
    December 15, 2019 8:15 AM PST

Sorry, but this is not a good idea, and shows a lack of knowledge regarding copyright and artist and their work in general.

• 291 posts
    December 15, 2019 8:57 AM PST

Kalok said:

They've already said that they have plans to support "community made" UIs.  There's is nothing precluding this sort of "contest" outside of official Pantheon channels.

Exactly.

• 145 posts
    December 15, 2019 12:32 PM PST
    Personally I’ve always just used the in game ui pretty much as is but if allowed I think that submitting different ui builds and just seeing them is cool. However this something down the line as most of us haven’t even played the game as far as testing goes
    • 291 posts
    December 15, 2019 12:35 PM PST

stonetothebone85 said: Personally I’ve always just used the in game ui pretty much as is but if allowed I think that submitting different ui builds and just seeing them is cool. However this something down the line as most of us haven’t even played the game as far as testing goes

Very true. Can really only be conceptual presently.

• 9115 posts
    December 15, 2019 8:20 PM PST

We will have options to tweak the UI to your liking but we will not outsource graphical work to any community members or competitions, there are legal reasons for this among other issues.

Please do not assume we are wasting resources when you don't know or understand game development, it causes more harm than you think. We have staff that work on multiple tasks, when waiting on submissions or approvals on one task, we work on others. No resources are "wasted". ;)