Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Update on Crafting/Harvesting now that Corey is gone?

This topic has been closed.
    • 523 posts
    November 30, 2019 10:02 AM PST

Now that lead crafting and harvesting designer Corey LeFever is off the team, what is going on with these two spheres?  Are his designs scrapped and we're starting over?  Did somebody else take over those two spheres?  I'm a little concerned since for multiple years we've been told Corey is "one of us" and crafting is in good hands with him in charge.  Look forward to hearing more on this.

• 1921 posts
    November 30, 2019 10:24 AM PST

I might be mistaken, but I don't think they've shown crafting or harvesting yet, in an in-game public video?  I think the closest we've seen are screenshots of crafting tables.

• 3016 posts
    November 30, 2019 10:53 AM PST

Mathir said:

Now that lead crafting and harvesting designer Corey LeFever is off the team, what is going on with these two spheres?  Are his designs scrapped and we're starting over?  Did somebody else take over those two spheres?  I'm a little concerned since for multiple years we've been told Corey is "one of us" and crafting is in good hands with him in charge.  Look forward to hearing more on this.

When did Corey leave? I haven't seen anything indicating his departure?

Cana

• 1618 posts
    November 30, 2019 11:24 AM PST

So many core people gone. Hope replacements are better and faster.

• 1860 posts
    November 30, 2019 12:07 PM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

When did Corey leave? I haven't seen anything indicating his departure?

Cana

I was unaware as well.  Keeping these type of things hush hush seems to be VRs MO.

I have wanted them to be more open and honest with us for years. One more of dozens of nails in the coffin.  It is difficult to stay optimistic.

This post was edited by philo at November 30, 2019 12:12 PM PST
    • 1247 posts
    November 30, 2019 12:11 PM PST

Honestly, everything we have seen from Visionary Realms is nothing short of amazing thus far. :) Onward and upward! 

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #flowersofhappiness #worldsnotgames #aradune 

This post was edited by Syrif at November 30, 2019 12:14 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 30, 2019 12:17 PM PST

i think vr is taking a 'contractor' approach to builiding the game.  i forget exactly, but one of the guys is a dentist(sorry i forgot who you were >.< memory worse than a gold fish) has 8 years in programming?  that's pretty cool if you ask me.  so corey was probably just brought on to build the lifeskills and that's that. 

in this day and age, the starving artist also include game developers.  support your starving artists so they can remain free to express their own vision instead of having them bow to a master publisher.

if i think about vr as a small company, it's probably the most cost efficient way to build a game without sacrificing too much on other fronts.

besides a wise man said:  find a steady income, then do what you love on the side until it becomes a steady income.  ah the dream.  sigh back to cleaning the toilets >.<

we'll have a happy time at the hazbin hotel :D

• 3852 posts
    November 30, 2019 12:43 PM PST

sigh back to cleaning the toilets >.<

After 4 years of college in Flushing I can empathize with this.

((part of Queens County New York City))

• 768 posts
    November 30, 2019 1:00 PM PST

I haven't seen any crafting or harvesting occur in streams so far either. That said, it will be present in the game crafting aswel as harvesting. 

If there hasn't been one already, I'm confident that VR will explain the change of seats. 

In any company people come and go. This may sound harsh, but accepting the reality of this occuring in VR is keeping your feet on the ground. I'd agree with stellarmind in saying, you do what you can when you can in pushing the boat forward. 

The community however has no such contracts going and can remain one of the ongoing engines that keep the Pantheon motor running. For me, that's a pleasant point of view in such situations.

• 1785 posts
    November 30, 2019 1:09 PM PST

Hey all - for what it's worth, I don't think anyone should panic just yet.  I don't believe that the team has any plans to ditch crafting and gathering, and I am pretty sure that all the work that Corey did while he was with the team is still alive and well, just being managed by different hands now.  Obviously, VR will have to tell us for sure what the state of things is, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Most of you know that I've been pushing for robust non-combat gameplay for Pantheon for years now.  I mean, I even help run the Pantheon Crafters site and community.  I had a ton of respect for Corey and had even had the opportunity to get to know him personally over the summer.  So I totally get the concern.  I worry about this change as well.  I'm even in the midst of writing something to talk about some of the big concerns I have, which I hope to post up on Pantheon Crafters and these forums next week.  But let's give VR some time to show us what they're planning to do before we get too gloomy about this.  A lot of things, both good and bad, have happened really quickly for their team over the last month or two and I'm sure they're all still working very hard to adjust their plans and timelines as a result.  We need to respect that.

VR knows that crafting, gathering and non-combat gameplay is very important to many of us.  I have every expectation that they are going to give us something worthy of our pledges and our patience when they finally do reveal what they're doing there.

This post was edited by Nephele at November 30, 2019 1:09 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    November 30, 2019 1:11 PM PST

Barin999 said:

I haven't seen any crafting or harvesting occur in streams so far either. That said, it will be present in the game crafting aswel as harvesting. 

If there hasn't been one already, I'm confident that VR will explain the change of seats. 

In any company people come and go. This may sound harsh, but accepting the reality of this occuring in VR is keeping your feet on the ground. I'd agree with stellarmind in saying, you do what you can when you can in pushing the boat forward. 

The community however has no such contracts going and can remain one of the ongoing engines that keep the Pantheon motor running. For me, that's a pleasant point of view in such situations.

there was a stream not to long ago that had corey talking about it.  i think sept?  one sec i'll dig it up.

ah its august here u go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nrWGuE0hjk&t=1504s

@dorotea it's not a dream unless you're* chasing it right? lol.

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at November 30, 2019 1:16 PM PST
    • 291 posts
    November 30, 2019 1:13 PM PST

Nephele said:

Hey all - for what it's worth, I don't think anyone should panic just yet.  I don't believe that the team has any plans to ditch crafting and gathering, and I am pretty sure that all the work that Corey did while he was with the team is still alive and well, just being managed by different hands now.  Obviously, VR will have to tell us for sure what the state of things is, but we shouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.

Most of you know that I've been pushing for robust non-combat gameplay for Pantheon for years now.  I mean, I even help run the Pantheon Crafters site and community.  I had a ton of respect for Corey and had even had the opportunity to get to know him personally over the summer.  So I totally get the concern.  I worry about this change as well.  I'm even in the midst of writing something to talk about some of the big concerns I have, which I hope to post up on Pantheon Crafters and these forums next week.  But let's give VR some time to show us what they're planning to do before we get too gloomy about this.  A lot of things, both good and bad, have happened really quickly for their team over the last month or two and I'm sure they're all still working very hard to adjust their plans and timelines as a result.  We need to respect that.

VR knows that crafting, gathering and non-combat gameplay is very important to many of us.  I have every expectation that they are going to give us something worthy of our pledges and our patience when they finally do reveal what they're doing there.

Thanks neph. Your truly a great boon to this community.

• 1992 posts
    November 30, 2019 5:49 PM PST

Mathir said:

Now that lead crafting and harvesting designer Corey LeFever is off the team

Could you be so kind as to link to where this has been officially announced, either by VR or by Corey?

• 1714 posts
    November 30, 2019 8:39 PM PST

Jothany said:

Mathir said:

Could you be so kind as to link to where this has been officially announced, either by VR or by Corey?

It's been talked about officially by both parties on multiple social media platforms. Don't come to this site expecing any info. I would post links but that isn't allowed here. I'd post a screenshot, but that isn't allowed either. 

• 379 posts
    November 30, 2019 10:53 PM PST

Jothany said:

Mathir said:

From Corey via Twitter, when I asked if he has moved on: "It was a great ~4.5 years. I’m grateful for the friendships and opportunity to have worked on an MMO like Pantheon. It was time. Working from home that long was too isolating for me. The project is in great hands though and I’m excited to see the team’s progress."

Obviously I have no idea where Tradeskills (and Harvesting) stand but one would assume that the real bottleneck is art/animation.

• 201 posts
    December 1, 2019 10:39 AM PST

Really no positive way to interpret the fact that stuff like this is never published.  Pretty significant departure. 

• 1247 posts
    December 1, 2019 11:39 AM PST

How so? He contributed to the project, cool. Now the project moves forward - upward and onward! It’s like anything in life. 

• 1714 posts
    December 1, 2019 12:59 PM PST

Syrif said:

How so? He contributed to the project, cool. Now the project moves forward - upward and onward! It’s like anything in life. 

And people are asking what the status of that contribution is. That's a resonable and valid thing to ask when someone who has been working on a specific part of the game for so long leaves the team. 

• 2419 posts
    December 1, 2019 1:02 PM PST

Syrif said:

Have you never had to finish a project that someone else has started?  It isn't just about picking up where the other person left off, especially if you're trying to maintain a consistent and coherent approach to things.  Continuity is key. I'd ask just how far long did the tradeskills get before Corey left?  What parts did he do? What parts did he start yet not finish? 

• 1992 posts
    December 1, 2019 1:22 PM PST

antonius said:

Really no positive way to interpret the fact that stuff like this is never published.  Pretty significant departure. 

I've never encountered a company that makes a point to announce every time an employee leaves the company.

Employees have various rights to privacy. Even if there isn't a law about a specific situation, any decent company will respect the wishes of an employee concerning the release of info about them, unless it actually causes problems for the company.

And no, none of us are 'entitled' to know such things.

• 1921 posts
    December 1, 2019 1:25 PM PST

I wonder who the dedicated crafting, harvesting, and economy dev is, now?

• 2419 posts
    December 1, 2019 1:42 PM PST

vjek said:

I wonder who the dedicated crafting, harvesting, and economy dev is, now?

'dedicated' and 'independent contractor' really do not go together that well.

• 1247 posts
    December 1, 2019 2:02 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Syrif said:

Have you never had to finish a project that someone else has started?  It isn't just about picking up where the other person left off, especially if you're trying to maintain a consistent and coherent approach to things.  Continuity is key. I'd ask just how far long did the tradeskills get before Corey left?  What parts did he do? What parts did he start yet not finish? 

A project is not 1 person. Honestly, never heard much about him other than a name, and I’ve been here since day 1. Apparently you haven’t either given all your questions. A project is much larger than 1 person. 

• 1247 posts
    December 1, 2019 2:05 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

Syrif said:

And people are asking what the status of that contribution is. That's a resonable and valid thing to ask when someone who has been working on a specific part of the game for so long leaves the team. 

Well, I‘d rather Visionary Realms spend all of their time on development instead of toying around with nonsense. Just my opinion. This project is not about 1 person - actually, far from it. 

This post was edited by Syrif at December 1, 2019 2:06 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    December 1, 2019 3:31 PM PST

Syrif said:

Vandraad said:

Syrif said:

A project is not 1 person. Honestly, never heard much about him other than a name, and I’ve been here since day 1. Apparently you haven’t either given all your questions. A project is much larger than 1 person. 

If we were talkinga about a company with dozens upon dozens of full time employees with many people working on any given team I would agree with your statement that loss of one would not be an issue. But VR isn't a company with a hundred employees. It has a few FTEs with the rest as independent contractors wh ere a 'team' could really be as small as 2 people. You lose 50% of your team and the loss of one person is quite substantial.  Who else besides Corey was actually working on the design/actual mechanics of tradeskills and not just art assets?