Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Request for a Statement on the Succession of Brad McQuaid

• 9115 posts
    November 21, 2019 6:56 PM PST

dorotea said:

I have no doubt that the VR team has the ability to continue on. My main concerns were:

1. Would there be any intellectual property issues. Not knowing how these were set up or if VR actually owned all of them this was a real concern. My assumption was that there would be no problems - after all the only likely value of the IP is if the game *is* completed and released - but one can never be sure. Kilsin's comment above as well as Brasse's earlier one are reassuring.

2. Would there be any falling away of either existing investors or potential ones. Investment contracts have been known to have "bailout" provisions for the passing of critical persons. I hope this too is not an issue for existing investors - bailing would essentially mean writing off what they have already spent - but any business person is familiar with the need to sometimes cut one's losses. Potential investors may be reassured by VR but even so this development can hardly be considered *good* news. 

Thus assurances that the project has not been thrown off-track financially will be welcome. 

We do not and have not ever spoken about finances but I can say, nothing changes in that regard.

• 346 posts
    November 21, 2019 9:20 PM PST

Trasak said:Ultimately though there is no need for another Chief Creative Officer, at least not for PROTF.  The Creative Officers work is really heavy in the conceptual phase and peters out to an advisor once the coders fingers hit the keyboard.

While I was biting my tongue due to the timing and how emotional (rightfully and understandably) people have been over this loss, this is something I very much wanted to portray to those who were concerned but I decided not to. His role in EQ comparatively to Pantheon appeared to be fairly different and whereas his loss in 1997-98 would have spelled doom for Everquest, the same probably can't be said for Pantheon.

With that said however, the memory of Brad won't die, and neither will Pantheon. From his death brings the rise of a game in his honor. In a strange way, it is the Rise of the Fallen.

• 3852 posts
    November 22, 2019 6:23 AM PST

((nothing changes in that regard.))

That is all I was suggesting you comment on. Not where you are  - not where you are going - but, as a lawyer would put it, whether this has caused any material changes in the situation. Your answer, while commendably brief, was fully responsive. Thank you.

This post was edited by dorotea at November 22, 2019 6:23 AM PST
    • 291 posts
    November 22, 2019 6:36 AM PST

Janus said:

Trasak said:Ultimately though there is no need for another Chief Creative Officer, at least not for PROTF.  The Creative Officers work is really heavy in the conceptual phase and peters out to an advisor once the coders fingers hit the keyboard.

While I was biting my tongue due to the timing and how emotional (rightfully and understandably) people have been over this loss, this is something I very much wanted to portray to those who were concerned but I decided not to. His role in EQ comparatively to Pantheon appeared to be fairly different and whereas his loss in 1997-98 would have spelled doom for Everquest, the same probably can't be said for Pantheon.

With that said however, the memory of Brad won't die, and neither will Pantheon. From his death brings the rise of a game in his honor. In a strange way, it is the Rise of the Fallen.

I share this sentiment and have stated as much elsewhere. This is absolutely the facts. We disagree elsewhere, but here you and I agree completely. Thanks for stating this so well. Rise of the Fallen indeed. Perfect name.