Forums » Joppa's Journal

In the beginning...

• 4 posts
    November 6, 2019 5:27 PM PST

I hope this is the correct place to post this.  I just started playing P99 new green server since launch day a week ago.  It got me thinking what is Pantheon going to do at launch.  The current gripe and I'm not one of them but do have a concern about first impressions and potential bad reviews that could hurt the reputation was how overcamped the newbie zones was.   Now granted EQ zones are probably smaller but all the connecting zones were just as overcamped.

I'm curious how your team plans to create a launch environment minus the fustrations of nothing to kill.  I know it's not a instance game thanks God but will there be some kind of player limit before  a new instance of that zone is temporary created much like EQ2 did at launch.

Personally I enjoyed the big crowds and the dead player corpse everywhere, it's just something I missed but I fear the critism that could ruin the game out of the gate.

• 66 posts
    December 15, 2019 4:13 PM PST

Ironeagle said:Personally I enjoyed the big crowds and the dead player corpse everywhere, it's just something I missed but I fear the critism that could ruin the game out of the gate.

I have to admit I loved the (should I really be here feeling when there were a whole bunch of corpses scattered).  Like going into Unrest and see a bunch near zone and you knew someoen pulled "The Ghost or Toklar" to zone, and everyone figured out too late that he was an undercon.

I am hoping that there is enough content in place that give everyone a place to go, or increase mob spawn rate depending on zone occupency.

• 1892 posts
    December 17, 2019 7:44 AM PST

'newbie' areas could simply have a faster respawn rate or higher mob density..or both really.  Personally I'd prefer a larger newbie area, one that really gets you moving around.  I look back to the pathetic newbie areas outside the gates of Freeport or Qeynos.  Tiny places. Imagine instead if the newbie zone of Thronefast surrounded the entire city and even was underneath it in sewers and catacombs. For all the things I disliked about EQ2, the amount of adventuring you could do in the cities was quite impressive.  I'd be very supportive of an approach like that were long abandonded sections of a town (still within the main walls) were the newbie areas.

• 41 posts
    January 29, 2020 10:20 AM PST

Personally, I like a 'newbie area' that is not defined by an instance nor walls but defined by content. 

I believe we should be able to run out into the nearest woodline and explore, venture too far and something will eat you for dinner.

A place where a higher level character can come back to and help a newbie recover one of their many corpses that lay near a cave.

Sticking with the Open World concept and choices/skills matter, nothing pre-defined and decision-based advancement:

1) Decide to run too far and get eaten

2) Decide to test your boundaries and potentially escape

3) Decide to sit and watch others as they do 1 and/or 2 while eating a bowl of popcorn then base your decisions on your mood and observations.

• 217 posts
    February 14, 2020 2:44 PM PST

Totally agree newb areas should be immense, many in number and have a vague definition of where they end, so as to promote pushing boundaries. And the idea of lesser used/abandoned or maybe even plagued or cursed city zones or subteranean areas would be excellent.