Forums » News and Announcements

October Developer Roundtable with Joppa - General Q&A Part 1

• 9115 posts
    November 1, 2019 3:49 PM PDT
    October Developer Roundtable with Joppa - General Q&A Part 1 - We will be doing a part 2 most likely for the next DRT so we can cover the rest of the questions, so stay tuned for that!

• 1921 posts
    November 1, 2019 4:55 PM PDT

This is just taken from the Youtube auto-transcription, so it's not exact, but too exciting not to share in writing, imho..
    --
    8:46 K: all right so moving onto the next one this is a doozy so a gameplay multi boxing given Pantheon as many class-specific tillie abilities is there a concern about multi boxing or second accounts to provide these with players split for and against has the team have any thoughts about how to handle this one Pantheon launches

9:08 we have made official statements on this that basically are around that we're not going to actively stop multi boxing we will it's going to be difficult because of the way we set up with our classes and abilities obviously multi boxing and cheating gold selling and stuff like that and auto-playing are completely separate we're talking multi boxing is one play off one computer say two or three accounts having to manually control three you know two or three accounts so yeah what are we going to do anything is there a concern or or something we're looking into um you know stop this from being an issue

9:47 J: I'd say there is a concern and knowing the public statements we've made up until this point even just over the last couple of months as this topic has resurfaced unless convinced otherwise down the road you know perhaps by what we're observing during alpha beta I think we're going to be moving towards more of a hard-line approach to prohibit that behavior

10:15 because the concern is is that it poses too much of a risk to the core values of the game

10:24 being built on that social cooperative spirit we want to create a living world where players depend on each other and form those social bonds by by leaning on other actual players to to bring the answer or the solution or the help that that particular race and class and player is able to bring

10:50 so multi boxing is it's another form of soloing but but it bypasses if you're able to bypass game systems without depending on other players to do so like the question refers to those class specific utility abilities if you're able to just have a pocket druid to build your bridges in a pocket rogue to draw your ropes like I get where that's attractive on the soloing side of things but it goes against the the core convictions of building a living world where players are building these social contracts because they depend on what each other bring to the table

11:26 so while this is not an anti soloing sentiment because I mean again I would I would much rather see soloing itself promoted and made made more room for soloing than I would to see multi boxing being giving a nod to multi boxing which I mean that we all know too that saying we're not going to stop multi boxing is the same thing as saying yeah go ahead because if if you can multi box and no one's going to stop you then that that's what you're gonna do so anyway that's that's the current stance on that we will be you know keep keeping an eye if it's the kind of thing where it's like okay if if there needs to be a couple of servers as you know I think it's a little bit it's a little bit of a stretch but if there needs to be a couple of servers that exist that are that are multi boxing friendly sure

12:17 but when it comes to the core game when it comes to the the the mainline experience of playing Pantheon and what we are doing as developers to support and maintain those convictions that's absolutely our approach

12:34
    --
    Couldn't be happier that this philosophical shift has occurred, personally. 
    I applaud the perspective that there may be multi-boxing friendly servers, optionally or potentially, rather than they be the default.  Great stuff.

• 1860 posts
    November 1, 2019 6:15 PM PDT

I have to say, this has been one of the best informational round tables ever.  You really touched on some important topics.  Thank You!

-I'm happy to hear the new stance on multiboxing.

-Any tiny bit of progeny info is nice to hear.  I'm definitely in the boat of being in favor of retiring your character permanently...for a number of reasons.

-Mention of diversity between characters of the same class was nice even though not much was mentioned.  It is something I would like to see more of in the future.  Anything to differentiate characters between each other.  Something where the choices the player makes matter so everyone isn't the same in the end.

-Nice to hear the explanation behind the archai summoner.  It would be nice to hear other explanations like that about what the thought process was behind the other race/class decision.

-Nice to have clarity that there won't be portals between continents.  I remember Kilsin talking about that a few years back.

It was a good one.  Looking forward to the next part.

• 346 posts
    November 1, 2019 6:17 PM PDT

Couldn't agree more vjek. I posted a response in another forum but felt like covering it here in the official ones.

As much of a proponent as I have been to the concept of mitigating multi-boxing, I was not expecting this reaction from Chris and Visionary Realms. While I have received some flak from the few who are vehement supporters of multi-boxing, I still believe their recent decision here is vital for the game.

Multi-boxing doesn't only allow that player more chances at loot within a group -- especially if the group has no idea that player is playing two or more characters -- but it also creates a circumstance where classes like Shamans, Druids and maybe even Enchanters and Bards would be boxed merely for their support function. Seeing a Cleric with a Shaman and or Druid box in tow would be an issue and it degrades the importance of those classes from people who genuinely play them.

When I brought up my server design concept last year, I asked for people who were pro-boxing to give their honest criticism. What's often confused is the function in that they think it's absolute in nature. Where the goal is to make it impossible and they'll argue that 'nothing is ever secure'. They'd be correct which is why it's designed to mitigate it and handle the vast volume of the players who intend to box. By following the process I detailed last year, it then becomes too punishing to even engage in it to the point that most of them don't want to even risk it.

When those people were introduced with the concept of a box only server, they turned it down saying they would have no intention to play on such a server. Think about that answer. They don't want to play with others who WILL box because they no longer have that advantage over the community that doesn't. Occam's Razor lends credence to that conclusion.

I applaud Visionary Realms on this decision and going by the sentiment of the community with previous posts on the subreddit, their question on their Twitter and the polling, I believe it's a decision that will be met favorably by the vast majority of players.

Box/No-Box Server construct I created last year.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17zFHaTHvWE3J5e7YRFt13zTnqS7uRgJ2oa_fCpdTrg8/edit?usp=sharing

This post was edited by Janus at November 1, 2019 6:21 PM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    November 1, 2019 6:49 PM PDT

vjek said:

Couldn't be happier that this philosophical shift has occurred, personally. 
    I applaud the perspective that there may be multi-boxing friendly servers, optionally or potentially, rather than they be the default.  Great stuff.

100% agreed.  I think this stance aligns with the target audience and the shift speaks volumes, to me.

• 346 posts
    November 1, 2019 7:37 PM PDT

If you don't get the PM for some reason, Kilsin or whomever at VR has access to the Youtube page, the video is still marked as Unlisted.

• 2756 posts
    November 2, 2019 5:30 AM PDT

Good info and I'm sure you'll be pleased and relieved to hear I approve of pretty much everything you said ;^)

• 2756 posts
    November 2, 2019 5:31 AM PDT

Janus said:

If you don't get the PM for some reason, Kilsin or whomever at VR has access to the Youtube page, the video is still marked as Unlisted.

Isn't this to do with VIPs getting it for a week before the public do?

• 438 posts
    November 2, 2019 8:56 AM PDT
    I just wanted to say thank you @vjek for putting in the time and giving a written transcript of answers. Very much appreciated, at least by me.
    • 346 posts
    November 2, 2019 2:13 PM PDT

disposalist said:

Isn't this to do with VIPs getting it for a week before the public do?

Yes but it was unlisted even after they went public. People were remarking that Bazgrim's review video was on everyone's feed before the official version because it was still unlisted even after the public announcement. Keep in mind, they made it public about 45 minutes after my comment above, so it should be disregarded by anyone who thinks it's still for some reason unlisted.

It's a non-issue generally as long as it's done within a reasonable time frame from the public announcement. 

This post was edited by Janus at November 2, 2019 2:16 PM PDT
    • 220 posts
    November 7, 2019 5:55 PM PST

finished reading your scritp and its well written.

the only reason why they want to be on an anti-box server becuse they can sell stuff for higher price and surpas others in grinding exp instead of building a party plus waiting time. on a box-friendly server where there's not many players on they wont be able to sell their goods to, plus other box player can get the same item where the fun in that.

i hope VR lock whatever item you get to that server so box-friendly server cant transfer good over to non-box server...

I HOPE VR IMPLEMENT SOME KIND OF in-game "CHAT BLOCK" when the game release. I cant stand the spamm "Want to buy X" or "Looking for Gold? here at www.kjgfdd.khgf.khgg.con" 

Hope VR add a report spam menu so i can report them. i had 122 blacklisted and reported to FF14 during my past play in ff14 :/