Forums » News and Announcements

Introducing our all new bi-weekly video newsletters

• 346 posts
    October 18, 2019 7:59 AM PDT

Alyonyah said:

hope these racials aint teased out haha

That's what I'm thinking. I hope it's not a, "Well, we're thinking about possibly doing with this and that..." then only cover maybe a few races and have noting in writing or visualized like the class pages have been. Seeing as it's only a cocnept stage, I don't see why it's all that difficult to throw them together.

Although not balanced for numeral values, this took me a total of 9 hours over the course of two months and it's incredibly complicated, designed to allow for all possible races for a class to be functional but also consider classes that want to focus more in a different role.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ub6RphtxAHr_52C4HLC0PbpMIPn64MZ9cBhBQkQ5gPk/edit?usp=sharing

So we'll see, but this is probably one of the least talked about areas of the game that would have gone the longest way with the community if released just this past Summer.

This post was edited by Janus at October 18, 2019 8:01 AM PDT
    • 1618 posts
    October 18, 2019 8:58 AM PDT
    Great news! Too bad it’s during my D&D time. Hopefully, you will archive it on twitch or YouTube for replay.
    • 346 posts
    October 18, 2019 9:33 AM PDT

Beefcake said: Great news! Too bad it’s during my D&D time. Hopefully, you will archive it on twitch or YouTube for replay.

Kilsin or Roenick, forgot who has confirmed they will be on the official Youtube page. I don't doubt on the Twitch page as well and may even be posted here, their twitter and facebook when finished. But as of now, we can say for certain their Youtube page.

• 223 posts
    October 18, 2019 9:33 AM PDT

Very good news! Exitement level is up :)

• 1428 posts
    October 18, 2019 11:17 AM PDT

Janus said:

Alyonyah said:

hope these racials aint teased out haha

That's what I'm thinking. I hope it's not a, "Well, we're thinking about possibly doing with this and that..." then only cover maybe a few races and have noting in writing or visualized like the class pages have been. Seeing as it's only a cocnept stage, I don't see why it's all that difficult to throw them together.

Although not balanced for numeral values, this took me a total of 9 hours over the course of two months and it's incredibly complicated, designed to allow for all possible races for a class to be functional but also consider classes that want to focus more in a different role.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ub6RphtxAHr_52C4HLC0PbpMIPn64MZ9cBhBQkQ5gPk/edit?usp=sharing

So we'll see, but this is probably one of the least talked about areas of the game that would have gone the longest way with the community if released just this past Summer.

hoh.  they are also class specific and elves have 2 different types of racials?  does that mean certain types of elves can only be a certain type of class?

hmmm i'm going to have to do some adjustments to my character lore now >.<

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at October 18, 2019 11:39 AM PDT
    • 346 posts
    October 18, 2019 11:44 AM PDT

That's my personal creation and not anything related to what VR intends to release. However, within that, I designed it to allow your class to select any race it allows within the official race/class matrix but not feel imbalanced. In EQ1, one of the biggest issues was how the Ogre was absolutely a better Warrior than Halfling due to the stats but largely because of the frontal stun immunity. I wanted all selections to be somewhat comparable. I then also added a secondary option for most of the classes. In the tabs at the bottom you can select the class and see the viability. 

As for Elf, I think I understand what you're asking and no, I didn't take into consideration with the Ashen and whatever other elves there are as I don't think Visionary Realms even intend on some sub-variance within the race.

• 1428 posts
    October 18, 2019 11:59 AM PDT

Janus said:

That's my personal creation and not anything related to what VR intends to release. However, within that, I designed it to allow your class to select any race it allows within the official race/class matrix but not feel imbalanced. In EQ1, one of the biggest issues was how the Ogre was absolutely a better Warrior than Halfling due to the stats but largely because of the frontal stun immunity. I wanted all selections to be somewhat comparable. I then also added a secondary option for most of the classes. In the tabs at the bottom you can select the class and see the viability. 

As for Elf, I think I understand what you're asking and no, I didn't take into consideration with the Ashen and whatever other elves there are as I don't think Visionary Realms even intend on some sub-variance within the race.

ohhhh sorry i got so excited i took it out of context XD  appreciate the clarification.  this is really good(then i started thinking about all the pvp builds hoho~) i thought it was legit ^_^

• 429 posts
    October 18, 2019 12:13 PM PDT

Sounds great , as someone else mention will the written NL still be Written ? 

• 346 posts
    October 18, 2019 12:41 PM PDT

Shea said:

Sounds great , as someone else mention will the written NL still be Written ? 

Kilsin has officially stated that the Newsletter will be on the 23rd.

It appears both the Newsletter and the Stream will be on the 23rd. What may happen and don't quote me on this but the Newsletter is released noon time roughly US Eastern time and then in the afternoon they'll have the stream, talk a bit about the details on the newsletter and get into the content for the stream as well as answer some questions.

Just my educated guess.

This post was edited by Janus at October 18, 2019 12:43 PM PDT
    • 438 posts
    October 18, 2019 3:44 PM PDT
    Yea Janus. Saw that posted on other social media as well. They (VR) spoke of having clips of it dumbed down for specific topics so one doesn’t need to watch/listen to the whole stream. But the NL will be released written as per the norm.
    • 3852 posts
    October 18, 2019 3:56 PM PDT

Sounds good if it does *not* replace the written newsletter. 

Less good if it does.

• 5 posts
    October 18, 2019 5:26 PM PDT

Agreed. I get that some people might value the more frequent engagement, maybe it'll be fun for them, but for me it sounds kind of tiresome. I'll just keep turning to the monthly update for real information in a more condensed format.

This post was edited by Oceliene at October 18, 2019 5:33 PM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    October 19, 2019 6:51 AM PDT

Great! 

• 1921 posts
    October 19, 2019 8:39 AM PDT

dorotea said: Sounds good if it does *not* replace the written newsletter. 

Less good if it does.

Agreed.  As I can read faster than people can talk, I would prefer all communication be written, especially with respect to video game design and project status updates.
    Yet, I understand people, for whatever reason, seem to enjoy watching 30 minutes of talking heads rather than read for 3 minutes.  On the plus side, Youtube auto-transcribes now, so at least that's something.

• 3852 posts
    October 19, 2019 9:08 AM PDT

((Agreed.  As I can read faster than people can talk, I would prefer all communication be written, especially with respect to video game design and project status updates.))

Exactly my reasoning. I know many people love video and I don't begrudge it - but there are quite a few of us that prefer to be able to spend 5 minutes getting all the details instead of 30 minutes - with the added bonus that we can do this under circumstances where listening to audio is difficult or impossibe.

• 346 posts
    October 19, 2019 9:25 AM PDT

vjek said:

Agreed.  As I can read faster than people can talk, I would prefer all communication be written, especially with respect to video game design and project status updates.

Yet, I understand people, for whatever reason, seem to enjoy watching 30 minutes of talking heads rather than read for 3 minutes.  On the plus side, Youtube auto-transcribes now, so at least that's something.

While it's possible the Stream will cover the Newsletter content, my guess is they'll get more into detail and even possibly answer questions. That and the streams are twice a month whereas the Newsletter is only once a month. Now, what I feel is they may just be doing a recap of the Newsletter on one of the streams but through the similar format of the Roundtables and then the second stream will be more similar to the Roundtables and not feature content from the Newsletter.

I hope that's not the case and this ends up being just window dressing, but we'll have to see by the middle of next month.

This post was edited by Janus at October 19, 2019 9:25 AM PDT
    • 23 posts
    October 19, 2019 9:27 AM PDT

Great news. I dont think its not a bad idea at all. Of course people will agree and disagree. Having a stream will allow the community to come together. VR can reach out to more people to hear there ideas and progresss of the game to the people that are not subscribed to the news letter at this time.

• 220 posts
    October 19, 2019 6:19 PM PDT

Finally an exciting news! Hope you guys iron out the audio quailty or do a BUNCH of test run. I want to enjoy the RoundTable on Youtube BUT man......the audio quality is bad...cant hear the question and the guest audio is loud...Lets get this right the first time with good reviews and feedback.

Ive just picked up Archeage Unchain but it nothing like what im used too. Its a PvP mmoprpg :/ not my type of mmo. Pantheon RotF seems like my old school FF11 style gameplay that can fill my void. 

Anyway keep moving forward VR you guys are doing an awsome job ova there!

• 36 posts
    October 19, 2019 9:05 PM PDT

Guys I'm not sure why you continue to feel the need to waste resources and time on side projects when in my opinion you should be investing all your time and energy in finish the game many of us have supported and continue to do so. I felt the shop thing you did highlights my concerns rushed and not thought through properly as you closed it shortly after opening because you didn't do the footwork up front. 

I do not see a need for constant fluff and distraction for the sake of it, if this time was dedicated to the game we would see the end result sooner rather than later! My positivity towards this game is starting to wane and I'm becoming concerned that there is not light at the end of the tunnel. Please prove me wrong...!

• 13 posts
    October 20, 2019 3:22 AM PDT

This sounds like good news providing they include some proof of concept and not just a bunch of filler material and fluff.

• 2886 posts
    October 20, 2019 12:58 PM PDT

Asbo said:

Guys I'm not sure why you continue to feel the need to waste resources and time on side projects when in my opinion you should be investing all your time and energy in finish the game many of us have supported and continue to do so. I felt the shop thing you did highlights my concerns rushed and not thought through properly as you closed it shortly after opening because you didn't do the footwork up front. 

I do not see a need for constant fluff and distraction for the sake of it, if this time was dedicated to the game we would see the end result sooner rather than later! My positivity towards this game is starting to wane and I'm becoming concerned that there is not light at the end of the tunnel. Please prove me wrong...!

This underscores the complexity of crowdfunding a game and how few people understand it. I'm not claiming that I understand all of it, but I do know that with limited funds, you can't ONLY focus on making the game. If they want to be sustainable long term, they need to get the word out there and they need to increase investor confidence. Putting on a high quality production where you showcase what you've been working on is a great way to do that. No company survives without marketing. In fact, bigger companies often dedicate a huge percentage of their budget to marketing - and it usually pays off. But this is a small company who relies on people being aware of what they're trying to accomplish. I think the fact that they've been fairly quiet lately actually indicates that they're doing fairly well financially. But that can't last forever. It's clearly time to get more people interested in their name and their game, which will ultimately propel them forward if done well. So we as fans are not really in a position to determine what is and isn't a true waste of resources. Just because it's something you don't care about doesn't mean it's a waste of resources. There are a lot of moving parts.

• 220 posts
    October 20, 2019 1:05 PM PDT

Cant wait for the live stream and release date!! Also get the audio together!! really hype for Pantheon RotF! ive bought Arachage UnchaINED but it's a PvP mmo(not my type of mmo)...i blame that on you Pantheon...

patiently waiting on Alpha/Beta access!

• 36 posts
    October 20, 2019 5:38 PM PDT

@Bazgrim sorry fluffed the quote!

This underscores the complexity of crowdfunding a game and how few people understand it. I'm not claiming that I understand all of it, but I do know that with limited funds, you can't ONLY focus on making the game. If they want to be sustainable long term, they need to get the word out there and they need to increase investor confidence. Putting on a high quality production where you showcase what you've been working on is a great way to do that. No company survives without marketing. In fact, bigger companies often dedicate a huge percentage of their budget to marketing - and it usually pays off. But this is a small company who relies on people being aware of what they're trying to accomplish. I think the fact that they've been fairly quiet lately actually indicates that they're doing fairly well financially. But that can't last forever. It's clearly time to get more people interested in their name and their game, which will ultimately propel them forward if done well. So we as fans are not really in a position to determine what is and isn't a true waste of resources. Just because it's something you don't care about doesn't mean it's a waste of resources. There are a lot of moving parts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Look I get the marketing concept, but I don't buy it needs to be done until the game is on the latter stages of development. (Not sure why you think that’s so important at this stage). I would tend to agree with you if we were in the back end of the beta it would make perfect sense then. But defending them with that is weak in my opinion. 

I knew what I was getting into when I invested my cash into this game like everyone else. I would not of invested had I not had faith in the team's ability right! This is a niche game for niche gamers and the people who will be playing this are well aware of what and where it is at the moment and if you believe anything different then you been living under a rock.

The percentage of people who will come to play this game who have not played EQ1 or 2 will be a small percent of the game in my personal opinion. It would be fantastic if they could attract more players from other games. For new players to this type of game will come in the form of word and mouth the best marketing in the world is recommendations would you not agree?  

As for the financial state of this project no one knows bar them, but let's not beat about the bush here they will be up against it everyday and expensive mistakes could and will set the game back months. So they cannot afford any major mishaps and a perfect example was the shop as I pointed out previously which you failed to comment on so I rest my case.

The reason I made my comments were based on Brads past record we all saw what happened to Vanguard and thankfully he seems to have got a really good team of developers and professionals which are very enthusiastic and that’s great for everyone and you can hear and see that with everything they are doing.

Everytime they make videos or detract from the ingame development that adds time to the project that's a fact! So everytime they do things they will factor this in I hope. Personally I prefer they didn’t do the live video’s with these streamers until they are very close to release as this can have a negative effect like we saw in the first one where people were moaning about placeholders so then they had to waste more time going on the defence explaining it in great detail. 

So I am sticking to my original statement as I see nothing which would suggest otherwise and whilst it’s sterling of you to defend them, your comments do not change my mind at all. I think they will keep pushing the game back as hey fall further and further behind, but only time will tell right?

This post was edited by Asbo at October 20, 2019 5:42 PM PDT
    • 346 posts
    October 20, 2019 11:54 PM PDT

Asbo, I think you drastically overestimate the amount of work that goes into a Newsletter or Roundtable/Stream with regard to the entirety of the development team. It's largely Roenick for the Newsletters and he's not exactly involved in the hands-on development side. It's the case with Kilsin as well. Now, Chris will be in this stream, but keep in mind this is going to happen after work hours for him so it's likely not cutting into his work hours.

This is a bit like being upset at forum moderators for not developing a game.

This post was edited by Janus at October 20, 2019 11:55 PM PDT
    • 23 posts
    October 21, 2019 6:57 AM PDT

You have to look at this way. The video news letter is going to happen if you like it or not. So with that said you can watch it and support the team with your views, likes and ingagement. In returne you will be helping the team reach out to use in a new way and more content for new viewers. Everyones life is different and having a video is just another way for VR to reach out. Some people will listen to the video on the way to work. It might be played on Pantheon Radio. Some people are just going to read it. Time will tell how it gos. I will be doing my part to support the team by watching the video with my likes and my ingagement.

This post was edited by Whitewood at October 21, 2019 11:15 AM PDT