Forums » The Ranger

The Ranger - maybe not.. More like the Hunter/Archer

• 23 posts
    September 22, 2019 2:24 PM PDT

For better or worse - it looks like they want an Archer class or at the very least an Archer/R.A Salvatore ranger hybrid. Momentum is a really cool idea but to pigon hole the melee portion of this class into a Drizzt role is really sad. Are we going to narrow it down even more to blades or maybe short swords only? Have you removed the option to have a long and short sword? How about a mace or an axe? 

Still very early so not giving up yet on this class but this is not a great start imo. Will be interesting to finally get into Alpha at somepoint and help the vision... 

Edit:

Noticed they took two handed weapons away from Warriors too...

This post was edited by Sabatour at September 22, 2019 2:31 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    October 31, 2019 7:01 PM PDT

I don't see them limiting rangers to just a short sword or just a sword. They have expressed in past videos that different weapons will be needed for different types of armor on NPC's. I feel rangers should definitely be able to wield swords, axes daggers, maces, and whips. That is just personal opinion, but from the past videos I do not believe rangers will be limited to just swords. 

• 262 posts
    November 1, 2019 5:12 AM PDT

Even on the main site it's written: Bows, Crossbows and MOST one-handed weapons. But as you've pointed out yourself - it's still pretty early on, so everything may change.

Edit: When did they took 2-h weapons from Warriors? It's just many of their abilities require shield and their main role is as a tank, but it's not like you can't make warrior wielding 2-h sword with strictly offensive set of abilities.

This post was edited by Hegenox at November 1, 2019 5:17 AM PDT
    • 62 posts
    November 1, 2019 8:37 AM PDT

VR has stated the Ranger will be weaving in and out of ranged and melee, and Joppa stated it would still be viable if someone wants to play strictly ranged or melee.  I don't think this will be an issue, and there are still a ton more skills/abilities that have not been revealed yet across the board.  I didn't get the impression of only swords from the videos either, but yes everything is still early and under wraps.

This post was edited by Geoffrey at November 1, 2019 8:45 AM PDT