Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

losing hope

• 1 posts
    September 19, 2019 12:35 PM PDT

I am starting to feel like this game is never going to be released

• 411 posts
    September 19, 2019 12:40 PM PDT

Having expectations was the mistake in the first place. All we can do is sit back and watch. If it releases, great. If it doesn't, then at least they tried really hard.

• 1479 posts
    September 19, 2019 12:51 PM PDT

I'm sorry if you can't stand the long vigil. However I think this topic is more suited to be in the off topic section since it doesn't directly treat of pantheon but rather of your relashionship with the game.

I could be wrong though.

• 3852 posts
    September 19, 2019 3:19 PM PDT

((I could be wrong though.))

Quite likely - I predict the thread will be removed entirely not just moved.

That the game will be released more slowly than many of us had hoped is certain - but it is looking better and I have not given up on release late next year. Granted I don't see this as the most likely scenario.

• 1714 posts
    September 19, 2019 3:21 PM PDT

But hey, they got new concept art to put on their $30 coffee mugs. That's a win!

• 1428 posts
    September 19, 2019 3:57 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

But hey, they got new concept art to put on their $30 coffee mugs. That's a win!

the hat is made in the usa :D (seriously the only reason i'm buying it. these hats usually go for about 30-50 dollars in retail stores, buying directly would be about 20 dollars-including the graphics- so i think it's fairly priced to support the company.  would have been happy if i had the enchanter logo tho.  side note i did have to pay for shipping and now products bought online are taxable.  thank you guvnment.)

the materials i don't know XD

i'll review that hat as a product when it comes in.

pretty sure vr looked at bethesda and said, ye we ain't gon do dat.

• 1714 posts
    September 19, 2019 4:10 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

Keno Monster said:

the hat is made in the usa :D (seriously the only reason i'm buying it. these hats usually go for about 30-50 dollars in retail stores, buying directly would be about 20 dollars-including the graphics- so i think it's fairly priced to support the company.  would have been happy if i had the enchanter logo tho.  side note i did have to pay for shipping and now products bought online are taxable.  thank you guvnment.)

That's just not accurate. There are a large number of sites online that will create custom shirts using a person's own design for less than $20. 

A large number of people here have already supported VR with hundreds of dollars. $40 t-shirts are a slap in the face to the people who have supported this game from the ground up. Do I get pre alpha access with my hoodie?

• 1428 posts
    September 19, 2019 4:43 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

stellarmind said:

Keno Monster said:

That's just not accurate. There are a large number of sites online that will create custom shirts using a person's own design for less than $20. 

A large number of people here have already supported VR with hundreds of dollars. $40 t-shirts are a slap in the face to the people who have supported this game from the ground up. Do I get pre alpha access with my hoodie?

sorry sir you do not get prealpha access wiht your hoodie(btw i don't speak for vr nor do i claim to.  this is satire please direct any issues you may have with customer support.  thank you for your understanding)

but i'll listen your woes and share your pain.  i have felt the same with star citizen.  almost 8 years later with a 200+mil budget (apologies for operating under approximations)

well i feel pretty confident that chris rowan will keep things close on the tracks as possible.  i'll state that if it weren't for his history working with the japanese i'd have a different tune about vr.

• 1785 posts
    September 19, 2019 4:52 PM PDT

I can understand how Crullos and others are feeling and I think it's good to talk about it respectfully.

For myself, I'm not losing faith in VR or Pantheon.  The game will happen, and I think it will be a credible attempt at being what we're all looking for.  I say this not because I pledged a lot of money or because I'm a white knight or anything, but because I've gotten the chance to meet some of the team members face to face, and talk with them online - and they all seem very honestly passionate about what they're doing.  Whether they succeed or fail, they're working very hard and trying to make every dollar really count.  That's what gives me hope for the game.

Where I struggle, if I'm being honest, is our community.  I pledged as much as I did a few years ago because I was really impressed with the people I found here on these forums.  Gamers in many ways just like myself who were looking for many of the same things.  Over the last year or so though I've watched people become negative and cynical.  I've seen community members I respected and whose posts I really enjoyed simply stop participating, many of them driven away by toxicity or negativity.

I'm not blaming anyone for what has occurred but no matter how good Pantheon is when it launches, the game doesn't make the community good or bad.  In many ways though, the community does make the game good or bad.  I feel like that's a responsibility we should all realize that we have.  Every time I write a post here or elsewhere, or reply on a twitter thread, or talk with people in discord, or even give my opinions on a Pantheon podcast, I try to be objective, and respectful, and honestly yes a little bit optimistic and hopeful - because when Pantheon does finally launch, I want it to also have a great community.

I'm not going to tell anyone that they're wrong to have doubts or concerns.  That wouldn't be right at all.  I just hope that everyone realizes that at the end of it all Pantheon isn't going to be just a bunch of code and graphics and gameplay - but it will be a reflection of us too.  I hope that when it launches it will show our best side and not our worst.

• 11 posts
    September 19, 2019 9:33 PM PDT

Nephele said:

I can understand how Crullos and others are feeling and I think it's good to talk about it respectfully.

For myself, I'm not losing faith in VR or Pantheon.  The game will happen, and I think it will be a credible attempt at being what we're all looking for.  I say this not because I pledged a lot of money or because I'm a white knight or anything, but because I've gotten the chance to meet some of the team members face to face, and talk with them online - and they all seem very honestly passionate about what they're doing.  Whether they succeed or fail, they're working very hard and trying to make every dollar really count.  That's what gives me hope for the game.

Where I struggle, if I'm being honest, is our community.  I pledged as much as I did a few years ago because I was really impressed with the people I found here on these forums.  Gamers in many ways just like myself who were looking for many of the same things.  Over the last year or so though I've watched people become negative and cynical.  I've seen community members I respected and whose posts I really enjoyed simply stop participating, many of them driven away by toxicity or negativity.

I'm not blaming anyone for what has occurred but no matter how good Pantheon is when it launches, the game doesn't make the community good or bad.  In many ways though, the community does make the game good or bad.  I feel like that's a responsibility we should all realize that we have.  Every time I write a post here or elsewhere, or reply on a twitter thread, or talk with people in discord, or even give my opinions on a Pantheon podcast, I try to be objective, and respectful, and honestly yes a little bit optimistic and hopeful - because when Pantheon does finally launch, I want it to also have a great community.

I'm not going to tell anyone that they're wrong to have doubts or concerns.  That wouldn't be right at all.  I just hope that everyone realizes that at the end of it all Pantheon isn't going to be just a bunch of code and graphics and gameplay - but it will be a reflection of us too.  I hope that when it launches it will show our best side and not our worst.

I'm with you 100%. I honestly feel like a major problem here is too many gamers are not accustomed to being the backers of a product they want and seeing it through it's "FULL" development. Most wnat to have some kind of access or play the game very soon after they put any money into something, reasoning that if you can pay for the game then it must be near completion. It seems like they tend to throw out the entire "crowdfunding" ideaology and behave like they bought an early release title on steam. It's quite strange.

I backed the game, and I know that it's only coming when it does. I know not when. That's part of being a crowdfunded backer. You can make the claim that we should have more solid dates because we're effectively "stakeholders" but I'd also argue that a small team working tirelessley deserve not to be petulantly hounded by the community suppossedly backing them. Just my thoughts.

• 2756 posts
    September 20, 2019 2:13 AM PDT

Given how long other MMORPGs took to make, VR is doing well, no?  Even with the false start it's not bad.

It's an inevitable irony, I suppose, that because they let us in on the ride, some will find it too long a journey.

If, like most other companies, no one even knew it was being made until a few months from delivery, no one would know or care.

Personally, I love being along for the journey and am enjoying the output from VR as we travel.

This post was edited by disposalist at September 20, 2019 2:14 AM PDT
    • 346 posts
    September 20, 2019 2:23 AM PDT

The way I see it with the Merchandise Shop, while I know it was asked for often enough, its no skin off my back as I simply don't have to buy anything. Nothing is forcing me to buy anything from it nor will it improve my pledge or hurt it in any way. Do I agree with the prices? No. But it literally does nothing to hurt me in the end so I really don't see an issue.

My only issue is the Female version of the fitted shirt costing more which I found out is standard due to the design but I would have at least normalized the price to stave off that little PR issue due to not understanding the disparity as to the manufacturing pricing.

• 624 posts
    September 20, 2019 5:04 AM PDT

Don’t lose hope Crullos,

Find joy elsewhere while waiting.

Trust in Pantheon.  (tm BazgrimTV)

ps. Perhaps a few years from now your second post will be more positive...

• 3852 posts
    September 20, 2019 6:11 AM PDT

A few people seem to see the cash shop as a desperate grab for money - and a sign that things are not going well. Perhaps because of the name - we are *conditioned* to hate and despise cash shops in MMOs.

The history is otherwise. Some people here have been asking for Pantheon merchandise for years - VR is now making it available. I would be shocked if they actually expect to fund the game based on shirt sales.

• 125 posts
    September 20, 2019 7:00 AM PDT

Kumu said:

Don’t lose hope Crullos,

Find joy elsewhere while waiting.

Trust in Pantheon.  (tm BazgrimTV)

ps. Perhaps a few years from now your second post will be more positive...

Lol, nice.

In all honesty I‘m guilty of this too. I read about gnomes physical disposition and immediately pledged so I could post a topic about it.

Coming around was easy for me because it was just the human nature of rejecting alien concepts for situations that are traditional to me. Just had to read into the concept till it wasn’t alien and my cure was simple.

My objection was not with my confidence in the project as a whole though. On another board said the best option for those who have lost hope to lose interest for a couple years.

I can’t disagree.

• 291 posts
    September 20, 2019 7:22 AM PDT

Whatever energy you sow into this experience is equal to the energy you reap. Your circumstances do not change your feelings. Your feelings change your circumstances. Thats my 2cp.

• 291 posts
    September 20, 2019 7:23 AM PDT

BTW this games gonna be completely and mindblowingly awesome. Cant wait to meet all my new friends!

• 2138 posts
    September 20, 2019 7:52 AM PDT

dorotea said:

A few people seem to see the cash shop as a desperate grab for money - and a sign that things are not going well. Perhaps because of the name - we are *conditioned* to hate and despise cash shops in MMOs.

The history is otherwise. Some people here have been asking for Pantheon merchandise for years - VR is now making it available. I would be shocked if they actually expect to fund the game based on shirt sales.

My understanding between cash shop and merch is as follows:

Cash shop = Pay to win, where you spend RL cash for in game items or boosts like Exp pots, raid armor, yes even cosmetic items, essentially money for pixels. This is bad, this is: the emperor has no clothes, Pixels are worth nothing and good people know this.

Merchandise or merch =  Where you spend RL cash for RL things that can never be used in game like, T-shirts, Cloth maps, Mugs, Key chains, enameled pins, authorized authentic figurines, authorized liscened and signed posters, embroidered patches or general stuff you would find at Cons.

I see the merch shop as a step in this direction, but not a "cash shop" as I have seen the phrase used when referreing to MMO's in general. 

• 168 posts
    September 20, 2019 7:58 AM PDT

Crullos said:

I am starting to feel like this game is never going to be released

We all feel your pain.  We just need to realize that it's not like they are working with a prebuilt engine with prebuilt animations, scripts, lighting, etc..  Unity is a developer sandbox, and being such they are having to creating everything from scratch to keep the game running optimally.  They have done far more with Unity than anyone, even at Unity, would have dreamed possible in such a short time frame.  They are getting the to point that pretty much all the "Tools" have been created.  Once the tool creation is out of the way its only a matter of creating the content with said tools and optimizing as they go.  I believe once they are complete with their Project Faerthale things will move so much faster.  As this project is said to be a stand alone fully functional demo.  which I also believe I remember hearing is where they will start the alpha testing.

Stay true my friend! The journey may be epic, but the destination will be legendary!

• 2752 posts
    September 20, 2019 9:47 AM PDT

TomParker350 said:

I'm with you 100%. I honestly feel like a major problem here is too many gamers are not accustomed to being the backers of a product they want and seeing it through it's "FULL" development. Most wnat to have some kind of access or play the game very soon after they put any money into something, reasoning that if you can pay for the game then it must be near completion. It seems like they tend to throw out the entire "crowdfunding" ideaology and behave like they bought an early release title on steam. It's quite strange.

I backed the game, and I know that it's only coming when it does. I know not when. That's part of being a crowdfunded backer. You can make the claim that we should have more solid dates because we're effectively "stakeholders" but I'd also argue that a small team working tirelessley deserve not to be petulantly hounded by the community suppossedly backing them. Just my thoughts.

I think the main issue is there are a lot of people out there that don't understand crowdfunding. There are a lot of people that think they are customers or investors or that they purchased something when they pledge to projects, but the reality is they are all just donors. We make a donation to a cause/idea in hopes it can be achieved with rewards offered for different tiers of donation should the project succeed, there is no expectation of return. 

• 103 posts
    September 20, 2019 10:13 AM PDT
    You know I'm honestly confused how some people seem to spend money and not FULLY understand what the money is for. Maybe steam and the like can be blamed with all there early access titles, but it still baffles me.
    • 521 posts
    September 20, 2019 10:23 AM PDT

Well I'm not losing hope, and I'm not concerned about the prices in the merch shop. My expectations are for the game to be ready about 2024, it could be ready sooner, but given that it began production around 2016 thats 8 years which is well within the norm of a game being produced

Concerning the merch shop, its true you can get cheaper shirts for 20 and under but those are really cheap quality shirts so I can understand not wanting to use those. I’ve ran my own merch shop for awhile and after getting some samples for the cheaper shirts, I wouldn't dare put my name or logo on them.

That said I would like to see some better art on the shirts available, maybe a combat scene, or a bard playing at a tavern ect..

• 1428 posts
    September 20, 2019 11:12 AM PDT

Laneir said: You know I'm honestly confused how some people seem to spend money and not FULLY understand what the money is for. Maybe steam and the like can be blamed with all there early access titles, but it still baffles me.

as marie antoinette says, let them eat cake.

it's not like making a very good cake takes time.  it's really simple.

go to walmart and buy it XD

(disclaimer this is satire underlining societal changes we are facing today)

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at September 20, 2019 11:16 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    September 20, 2019 1:12 PM PDT

Losing hope? Go look at Camelot Unchained and Crowfall. Both crowd funded MMO's, that started before and have received a lot more money than Pantheon. Neither are released yet. It takes a long time to build these games.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at September 20, 2019 1:12 PM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    September 20, 2019 1:16 PM PDT

I'd like to know what the web developer they hired in the spring did in the last 7 months before taking another job.