Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - What is the best in-game character buff

• 9115 posts
    September 2, 2019 3:58 AM PDT

Community Debate - What is the best in-game character buff of all time and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 6 posts
    September 2, 2019 4:22 AM PDT
    SoW or the druid/cleric hp/ac/Mana buff.
    • 1479 posts
    September 2, 2019 4:37 AM PDT

Avatar. All physical stats to the cap !

• 500 posts
    September 2, 2019 8:41 AM PDT

So many great buffs, but gotta go with SoW.  It made a huge difference in early EQ.

• 2419 posts
    September 2, 2019 9:17 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - What is the best in-game character buff of all time and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Oh, the Clarity line of mana regen buffs, hands down.  Man regen was the fulcrum on which an entire group and raid balanced.  While a large mana pool would let you cast more spells, eventually you would empty it and then you're screwed.  It was the ability to regen mana quickly that is much more important.  It gets you ready for the next fight that much quicker.

• 1428 posts
    September 2, 2019 9:57 AM PDT

wow bloodlust.  the ultimate aaaww yeee buff for anybody.  a true test that let's me know who the big boys of pve are.  raid leaders know what i'm talking about.  it's not the size of the dps meter that counts, it's the peak performance at the right time that counts.

• 3852 posts
    September 2, 2019 10:10 AM PDT

Probably not as important as buffs that let you kill things that otherwise would kill *you* but I will go with run speed buffs. Names and details vary with games - SoW is just one of many including bardsong buffs in Vanguard and other games.

• 627 posts
    September 2, 2019 10:14 AM PDT
    Atk and cast speed buff, it always feels nice to go Ham!
    • 346 posts
    September 2, 2019 10:45 AM PDT

Clarity line of spells then Haste line of spells. SoW was sort of made obsolete once you got J-boots from Drelzna in Najena or later when it was turned into a quest. Thorns/fire shield and regeneration was typically for early game when leveling. Late stage at level 30+ it wasn't as much of a concern or as highly desired which is why I ended up at Clarity and Haste as a means of enhancing direct performance.

This post was edited by Janus at September 2, 2019 11:22 AM PDT
    • 200 posts
    September 2, 2019 11:04 AM PDT
    Wizard spell: O'keil's Radiation. +2 damage shield. +5 fire resist. Uber game changing spell. Revolutionary.

Ok ok...SoW, Clarity, Shaman Regen, druid thorns, cleric armor. All pretty legit.
    • 103 posts
    September 2, 2019 11:46 AM PDT
    No way can't pick one, I want them all.
    • 438 posts
    September 2, 2019 12:16 PM PDT
    Caster - Clarity
    Melee - Haste
    • 1428 posts
    September 2, 2019 12:40 PM PDT

Laneir said: No way can't pick one, I want them all.

sorry life doesn't work that way.  you want an apple or an orange?

• 125 posts
    September 2, 2019 1:21 PM PDT

What got me hooked were the Druid buffs. It allowed for hour long sessions of solo exp. Like if I knew I had exactly an hour to play before my mom made me go to bed. The whole experience of /who to see if a Druid was in the zone so that I could solo on my mid level rogue for a good hour- high level could solo single low dB till thorn/regrowth dropped, 10-15min. But thorns was the game changer. Returning 100 dmg on a quad was more important than 15hp. Hunting open world animals in Druid zones was fun, running ASAP to the aviaks is a memory for sure.

This post was edited by Grime at September 2, 2019 1:21 PM PDT
    • 624 posts
    September 2, 2019 1:40 PM PDT

Cinda’s Charismatic Carillon from EQ - the bard’s goto faction booster.

Obviously melee haste and mana regen are key for increasing the success of slaying inordinate amounts of poor defenseless critters and gaining yet more loot, which we all spend hours upon hours achieving.

But CCC was a crafty non-combat buff that allowed access to adventures otherwise forbidden. I can’t simply spend all my time killing stuff, it damages the soul.

• 429 posts
    September 2, 2019 7:59 PM PDT

Sow for me as well 

• 1315 posts
    September 3, 2019 5:56 AM PDT

Shrink/Grow/X illusion

Most “buff” spells are just about improving mathematical advancement and are there for manufactured “relevance”.  Spells that change the way you play or have in game effects that are not numerical combat effects are much more compelling and interesting.  Especially if said choices also come with possible draw backs.

• 2138 posts
    September 3, 2019 7:13 AM PDT

This question could almost be split into two and be combined with gameplay vs content and immersion vs fourth wall (like ice on the screen *ahem*)

Gameplay/fourth wall side? I would say movement buffs, or temporary flight buffs, definitely especially in a big world

Content/Immersion side? I would say illusions that can affect faction, and what trasak said. Nothing wrong with a little Alice in Wonderland puzzling to figure out a pathway.

Combine them both, and wow. 

• 346 posts
    September 3, 2019 10:31 AM PDT

Manouk said:Combine them both, and wow. 

Illusion: Air Elemental

• 39 posts
    September 3, 2019 10:33 PM PDT
    Selos because it made bards bards! Also love any illusion buff as part of an item.
    • 793 posts
    September 4, 2019 5:14 AM PDT

I would have to say SoW, as it was often, though almost my entire characters life, the difference between life and death when things went bad.

• 193 posts
    September 4, 2019 8:13 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

Avatar. All physical stats to the cap !

I had forgotten about this one, and I agree. This buff so rocked.

• 560 posts
    September 4, 2019 11:14 AM PDT

SoW line for sure. This is assuming I am picking buffs that I have had in past games. There are lots of other buffs though that are hard to ignor, but if I had every buff avaliable SoW would be the one with the most active time. There is just no time it is not usfull.

• 57 posts
    September 4, 2019 11:23 AM PDT

Protection of the Glades

• 416 posts
    September 4, 2019 11:36 AM PDT

While it is hard to argue against, SoW, Clarity, and Haste buffs, levitate is my vote, the feeling of flying can't be beat.