Forums » Support

Regarding Linux support and playing through WINE

• 5 posts
    August 30, 2019 1:19 AM PDT

Hello all,

I was wondering how many of you might be interested in coordinating an effort to make Pantheon playable via WINE/Lutris (assuming that this does not go against any terms of service).

I would be happy to volunteer for this when the time comes.

I made the "hard switch" to Linux at the start of this year and my experience with gaming on it so far has been hugely successful. Though I appreciate I am a minority, I think that to have the option to play at some level of performance in Linux would be a great convenience for some.

• 253 posts
    August 30, 2019 3:24 AM PDT

While I can understand the interest, it would have to be after you have a live product unless you can get enough people to work a collaborative effort to sway VR's attention. But even then, I doubt they'd be willing to release their IP to you for that purpose. This is one of the cruxes to a lesser frequented OS and from a developer with a tight budget. I certainly wish you well on this venture but I feel like I know the answer to this one seeing as where you want to play your Pantheon with Wine, it'll probably be relegated to Pantheon with Beer.

• 1071 posts
    August 30, 2019 8:28 AM PDT

https://fossbytes.com/best-linux-games-steam-support/

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/05/30/announcing-the-unity-editor-for-linux/

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/running_nonlinux_unity3d_games_on_linux_and_natively/page1

Ultimately, eventually, running it in vmware or similar virtualization with some/full 3d acceleration support will likely be possible by the time the game launches, years from now.
    Sure would be nice to have a native Linux Unity client, given Unity lets developers produce builds for Linux.

• 32 posts
    August 31, 2019 2:19 AM PDT

vjek said:

Ultimately, eventually, running it in vmware or similar virtualization with some/full 3d acceleration support will likely be possible by the time the game launches, years from now.

Sure would be nice to have a native Linux Unity client, given Unity lets developers produce builds for Linux.

Absolutely. I am 100% certain that Pantheon will be playable on Linux even if it doesn't receive an official Linux version.

https://www.protondb.com/

• 147 posts
    August 31, 2019 1:40 PM PDT

Being theoretically playable through some emulation layer like WINE is one thing; being officially supported is quite another, what with testing, support, commitment to fix issues...

Keep in mind that every resource devoted to developing it on less-used platforms is a resource taken away from developing it on Windows. Consider then the fact that the team as it is now could use more people even just for Windows... it would be a mistake to even try for Linux.

You volunteering for it may work for open-source projects, and of size that one man can rework for Linux. This isn't (and shouldn't be) open source; that alone will probably stop the idea, and the fact that if they say it works for Linux, they would effectively put their name on it and would imply that it will be supported on Linux all the time, even if you were the one who ported it... I simply don't see them making such a commitment.

If you really like to use Linux most of the time, simply make a dual-boot system, use Windows for whatever games don't work on Linux, use Linux for games that do work and for any work you have. Problem solved, and they don't have to put any time into it.

• 5 posts
    August 31, 2019 2:17 PM PDT

Absolutely, I wouldn't expect them to spend any time on making Linux native binaries and I'd much prefer them spend their valuable resources on the Windows client.

My involvement would primarily be to find a sweet spot of WINE versions, configurations, etc. that might help to run the game in emulation and shouldn't require any Visionary Realms input at all.

• 1085 posts
    September 10, 2019 3:30 PM PDT

I'm going to throw my two cents in.....hehehe

First a little about my background, I have been a systems and network engineer since 1986.  I run a combination of Windows and Linux systems at home, with my main workstation, a laptop, running Linux.  That is 99% of my "daily computing" right there.  I'm running a full Active Directory domain at home, not that it really matters, but that said, I built a Windows gaming rig, which will likely see a massive upgrade before release, for amost all of my games.  I say almost all, because the game I am currently playing, I play on a PS4 Pro.

I am a huge fan of Linux.  I'm a huge fan of Windows.  I am a MUCH HUGER (hehehehe) fan of using the right tool for the job.  It just makes more sense to use an actual Windows box to play Pantheon because, unless they make a Mac client, the Pantheon client will be native to Windows, and no application runs as well as it does on its native platform.  If they create a Mac client, it would be possible, with minimal (compared to Windows) modification, to release a Linux client as well, given that MacOS X is loosely based on BSD with a different kernel.  Right now, the state of Linux gaming is abysmal.  Some of that is because people won't release their games on Linux due to its, lack of, market share, and some of that is because video card companies have crappy drivers for Linux and it would refelect poorly on their games.

One day I hope Linux gets there as a viable gaming platform, but I don't see that day coming any time in the near future.

• 5 posts
    September 10, 2019 3:37 PM PDT

Kalok said:

I'm going to throw my two cents in.....hehehe

First a little about my background, I have been a systems and network engineer since 1986.  I run a combination of Windows and Linux systems at home, with my main workstation, a laptop, running Linux.  That is 99% of my "daily computing" right there.  I'm running a full Active Directory domain at home, not that it really matters, but that said, I built a Windows gaming rig, which will likely see a massive upgrade before release, for amost all of my games.  I say almost all, because the game I am currently playing, I play on a PS4 Pro.

I am a huge fan of Linux.  I'm a huge fan of Windows.  I am a MUCH HUGER (hehehehe) fan of using the right tool for the job.  It just makes more sense to use an actual Windows box to play Pantheon because, unless they make a Mac client, the Pantheon client will be native to Windows, and no application runs as well as it does on its native platform.  If they create a Mac client, it would be possible, with minimal (compared to Windows) modification, to release a Linux client as well, given that MacOS X is loosely based on BSD with a different kernel.  Right now, the state of Linux gaming is abysmal.  Some of that is because people won't release their games on Linux due to its, lack of, market share, and some of that is because video card companies have crappy drivers for Linux and it would refelect poorly on their games.

One day I hope Linux gets there as a viable gaming platform, but I don't see that day coming any time in the near future.

I mostly agree with you! Except for the bit about Linux gaming being abysmal - I can play all my Windows games on Linux today. Sure, not at the same level of performance as in Windows, and in some cases with a bit of tweaking involved, but playable :)

• 8522 posts
    September 10, 2019 8:52 PM PDT

Moved this to Support, we have a few threads on this already and have expressed that we are not currently looking at Linux support but that may change as resources build. Feel free to discuss this here though, we read everything :)