Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Weapon size

• 223 posts
    August 21, 2019 6:09 PM PDT

Just want to get an idea of our community on the subject of art style involving weapon/items carried. Personally I like weapons to be realistically proportionate to body size, of course some people preffer oversized items.

Of course all I want is to get an idea of people's preference and perhaps a game reference as to ones you liked or disliked.

This post was edited by Yaladan at September 3, 2019 5:31 PM PDT
    • 2419 posts
    August 21, 2019 6:13 PM PDT

Yes, realistically proportioned please. 

• 18 posts
    August 21, 2019 6:59 PM PDT
    Yah, realistically sized and I believe VR has already stated as such. Even that weapons would be scaled to the race carrying it, for example, a sword that is 3ft long held by a human may be 4ft in the hands of an ogre and 2ft long with a halfling. Armor will be realistically style and sized as well, no peripheral blocking oversized shoulders or overly sexualized females slaying dragons in lingerie.
    • 10 posts
    August 21, 2019 8:21 PM PDT

I know it wont happen but be cool if like a Dagger for a human is actually a sword for a gnome or a mallet for a human is a huge mual for gnome

• 1714 posts
    August 21, 2019 9:16 PM PDT

I'm thinking Cloud Strife but way bigger. 

• 388 posts
    August 21, 2019 10:29 PM PDT

realistic in general.  i like all the weapons in the last stream with Cohh. 

just do what they did in EQ vanilla. it looked perfect to me.  

i tried the mmo TERA. i played up to 10 just to see what it was about. i deleted it mostly because half naked characters were weilding weapons that were like 12 foot long or more. just stupid. delete game. 

This post was edited by Flapp at August 21, 2019 10:30 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    August 22, 2019 7:24 AM PDT

Realistic size for everything please. Huge weapons block visibility and are very annoying. Huge mounts (when we have mounts) block the view enormously and are enormously annoying. 

By realistic I mean realistic for the item, of course. A two handed sword for an ogre should be a lot larger than a halfling's dagger. A horse is larger than a rider and an ogre would need a *large* animal to ride.

• 20 posts
    August 22, 2019 7:27 AM PDT

Vanco said:

I know it wont happen but be cool if like a Dagger for a human is actually a sword for a gnome or a mallet for a human is a huge mual for gnome

I like this idea a ton.  An Ogre's short sword = Human's long sword = Gnomish great sword or something along those lines.  It would go from a 1 Hander to a "Versatile" to a 2 Hander.  It reminds me of early game D&D.  An Ogre's great weapon should not be usable by small races at all.

• 18 posts
    August 22, 2019 8:00 AM PDT
    While interesting, this could bring up a lot of problems with stuff like damage normalization and drop rates. A longsword or a 2 hander in the hands of a halfling could be a dagger and a long sword for an ogre respectively. Weapons that would have different damage and delays, and could even carry different damage types. As far as drop rates the extremes of ogre 2 handers and halfling daggers may go mostly unused(unless ogres got a toothpick slot, haha). A lot of moving parts to account for with future patches/content.
    • 2419 posts
    August 22, 2019 8:04 AM PDT

Great idea....until you go into an area populated by giants.  Nobody could wear or wield anything they drop.

• 20 posts
    August 22, 2019 8:28 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Great idea....until you go into an area populated by giants.  Nobody could wear or wield anything they drop.

Maybe not what the giant was wearing no, but I could see them dropping gear that the last foolish adventurers were wearing when they showed up in giant country.  Perhaps some are wielding smaller weapons which can be used by ogres as 2 handers.  Maybe most of the best loot from them are actually stashed in their treasure room.

As for weapon normalization, the damage would be different based on how the weapon is wielded and by what size creature.  The weapon would have the same name and graphic, but would essentially be a different weapon in its damage numbers, speed, and way it can be wielded depending on your race.  I feel like you could build a balanced system around this.

• 1019 posts
    August 22, 2019 8:31 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

+1

If weapons and armor are anywhere close to FFIV I will not play it.  Hence the reason I don't play FFIV.

• 223 posts
    August 22, 2019 2:51 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

haha yes, on the other hand it could be a dual wiels for medium races and not usuable by small races, given reasons to help the big races go in those areas by smaller races, the opposite as well of course a gnome dagger would not be useable to an ogre except as a toohpick :)

• 11 posts
    August 29, 2019 8:42 PM PDT

Kittik said:

Vandraad said:

+1

If weapons and armor are anywhere close to FFIV I will not play it.  Hence the reason I don't play FFIV.

Looks fine to me...

• 346 posts
    August 30, 2019 3:58 AM PDT

Wait a minute, so you're telling me you don't want clearly proportionate weapons to your body like below? 

Heavy sarcasm, people. Very heavy sarcasm.

• 128 posts
    September 2, 2019 4:43 AM PDT

Count me as another vote for realistically proportioned.   If not, it ruins immersion.

• 219 posts
    September 7, 2019 2:02 AM PDT

skeaser said:

Kittik said:

Vandraad said:

+1

Looks fine to me...

I was also confused about this.

Maybe they mean FFXIV, but MANY/MOST FFXIV weapons actually ARE pretty well proportioned.  The only ones that seem not to be are that a lot of bows look too big on Lalafells (the game's Halflings), and that the Dark Knight greatswords and Warrior greataxes are intentionally large.

There are some others that are stylized to be, but a lot of classes' weapons are not.  White Mage rods/Black Mage staffs, Samurai katanas, etc are usually pretty well proportioned.