Forums » The Wizard

Friendly Fire - On

• 45 posts
    August 20, 2019 12:35 PM PDT

Hello all, 

As I am playing through Dragon Age Origins (DAO), I find I like the concept of the Mage (Wizard) doing MASS amounts of damage that can hurt both friend and foe alike.  

I have a fire tornado spell that can wipe out an entire enemy army, but it can also wipe out my team.  Because the damage is so great, the duration is so long, and the mana cost is so high, there is no taunt that will save the Mage should an enemy get through the carnage.  And the way the armor works, the Mage is defenseless.  

I would like to see this in Pantheon.  Just sheer awe inspired damage that can dominate the battlefield but places the Wizard, and his/her team, in a dangerous situation.   Learning to balance that destruction, learning to focus the damage, learning to manage agro, and learning to not fratricide.   

• 374 posts
    August 25, 2019 11:17 PM PDT
    I love ideas like this. Unique and fun. We'd just need to be able to slay renegade mad wizards who turn on their group, though - maybe a Council of Archmages (yes!) could teleport in and intervene somehow if a wizard was hurting their group too badly? Very fun idea, but I'm afraid too complicated to design considering griefing.
    • 4270 posts
    August 26, 2019 5:44 PM PDT

Agreed, it can make battles much more interesting and tactical. Improving player situational awareness is a must. From the FAQ:

"13.6 Will there be any friendly fire or negative friendly effects?

There may be a few rare, extremely powerful AOE spells, that could affect others in your group. You’ll want to use them judicially and make very sure your group is positioned correctly. That being said, this would be the exception, not the rule."

• 620 posts
    August 27, 2019 5:20 PM PDT

In EQ, a lot of the wizard and enchanter AoE spells affected the caster.  This was also a common issue dealt with on PvP servers that added another layer to grouping with others.  This was where you could easily identify skilled players that "grew up" on the PvP server compared to the players that transferred from a PvE server and started wiping out their tank or accidently mezn' their own healer.

• 33 posts
    August 29, 2019 4:56 PM PDT

Unlike DAO (Which I loved), Pantheon is a multiplayer game and friendly fire with death penalty MMO will lead to trolling, grudging, griefing, etc.
    I am really against it and I am curious to see how they manage to affect the party, because if this is in place, you will find player to exploit it and be asses with it unless they are directly affected/punished by it.

• 620 posts
    September 1, 2019 10:31 AM PDT

Another name for "Friendly Fire" is "Player Versus Player"