Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Would You Rather - Steal in-game money from...

• 9115 posts
    August 12, 2019 3:55 AM PDT

Would You Rather - Steal in-game money from a beggar, a merchant, a citizen or a heavily armed guard? How do you justify your decision? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 216 posts
    August 12, 2019 4:04 AM PDT

I'm a Cleric not a theif I wouldn't steal from anyone.

• 624 posts
    August 12, 2019 4:42 AM PDT

Asked like a true rogue, Sir Keeper-of-Beans! I’m with Kellie, pass on stealing...period.

• 153 posts
    August 12, 2019 5:17 AM PDT

the weak are meat the strong will eat

• 627 posts
    August 12, 2019 5:22 AM PDT
    The merchant, i would prolly steal the most coin here.
    • 413 posts
    August 12, 2019 5:58 AM PDT

Guard - will be so happy when you can steal from NPCs and accidently auto-attack guards again.

This post was edited by Zevlin at August 12, 2019 5:58 AM PDT
    • 1019 posts
    August 12, 2019 6:21 AM PDT

Am I required to steal for some reason?  I wouldn't steal otherwise.

• 3852 posts
    August 12, 2019 6:50 AM PDT

No stealing for me regardless of class - I earn my coin the old fashioned way. Genocidal slaughter of anyone a questgiver wants dead.

• August 12, 2019 6:55 AM PDT
    If I'm role playing a thief - then the merchant of course! Down with the bourgeoisie!
    • 20 posts
    August 12, 2019 6:59 AM PDT

It wasn't stealing!  I convinced the merchant that a portion of his profits donated to me would help to spread the word of his glorious goods!  He seemed pretty eager after that.

• 2419 posts
    August 12, 2019 7:40 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Would You Rather - Steal in-game money from a beggar, a merchant, a citizen or a heavily armed guard? How do you justify your decision? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Is this the high fantasy version of F*(k, Marry, Kill?  It does not matter to me which I would steal from so long as I felt that 1) I could get away with it or; 2) if caught, I could kill the NPC or; 3) if I can't kill it, I could at least escape.  In the end, it's an NPC. The begger really isn't starving, the merchant doesn't have kids at home, the citizen doesn't either and the guard is just there to make low level characters be nice and is irrelevant to high level characters.

• 193 posts
    August 12, 2019 7:43 AM PDT

meh, double post~

This post was edited by Percipiens at August 12, 2019 7:45 AM PDT
    • 193 posts
    August 12, 2019 7:44 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

It depends, of course. With the (hopefully) robust faction & perception systems, there could be multiple reasons to steal from any of these. Is the guard a corrupt extortionist? The citizen working against a faction I'm friendly with? Is the beggar a disguised spy? Does the merchant secretly fund and supply forces trying to root out corruption? A lot will determine if I steal and from whom. It also depends on what I want and could steal from each. As to my preference, I don't really have one. I generally don't steal to just steal.

• 2138 posts
    August 12, 2019 8:23 AM PDT

If I had to steal, but had a choice who to steal from: beggar- lets be real, most beggars  in the same spot make out quite well, its a business. Merchant- They have factored loss into their business, all merchants do. Butchers call it wasteage, you buy meat by the pound and you are also buying the weight of the bone, the bone is wasteage. Citizen- petty crime. I know you worked hard, you'll work hard again, unless its an heirloom and if it is, i'll sell it for a pitance and you may find it again. Guard- regular pay, regular meals, no housing expenses, glory, what else are you going to do with it, gamble?

In each of the cases,  if I steal anything but coin- Beggar, what are you doing with this?, this is an antique with magical properties; Merchant, how did you come accross this?, this is not normal this is contraband; Citizen, what are these? what is this? you look normal, what have you done?!; Guard- how come you have so much money? and are these keys! woot!

• 1428 posts
    August 12, 2019 11:01 AM PDT

Manouk said:

If I had to steal, but had a choice who to steal from: beggar- lets be real, most beggars  in the same spot make out quite well, its a business. Merchant- They have factored loss into their business, all merchants do. Butchers call it wasteage, you buy meat by the pound and you are also buying the weight of the bone, the bone is wasteage. Citizen- petty crime. I know you worked hard, you'll work hard again, unless its an heirloom and if it is, i'll sell it for a pitance and you may find it again. Guard- regular pay, regular meals, no housing expenses, glory, what else are you going to do with it, gamble?

In each of the cases,  if I steal anything but coin- Beggar, what are you doing with this?, this is an antique with magical properties; Merchant, how did you come accross this?, this is not normal this is contraband; Citizen, what are these? what is this? you look normal, what have you done?!; Guard- how come you have so much money? and are these keys! woot!

steal from a beggar.  i'm actually saving him from another hit of skooma.  don't worry i'll just buy him some food and water(not mead) and charge interest for the service.  so i'm not really stealing.  i'm helping.  just like thanos.  he did nothing wrong.

• 363 posts
    August 12, 2019 11:04 AM PDT

Everyone here is pretty soft... I'm finna jack that merchant since odds are he's got the coin. #RogueLife

• 1428 posts
    August 12, 2019 11:09 AM PDT

Flossie said:

Everyone here is pretty soft... I'm finna jack that merchant since odds are he's got the coin. #RogueLife

come gank me bro.  i'm a merchant.  i got coin.

• 470 posts
    August 12, 2019 1:16 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

If I was on my rogue character probably the heavily armed guard. Because that's either going to yield some fun loot or a situation rife with hilarity. In RPGs like say Kingdom Come Deliverance, I will often steal from merchants if that merchant is a real prick. lol I have a policy in most RPGs. I won't steal from good peeps unless it is absolutely necessary. But if those peeps are a bit on the prickish side, then avast matey, there be booty in them thar pockets.

dorotea said:

No stealing for me regardless of class - I earn my coin the old fashioned way. Genocidal slaughter of anyone a questgiver wants dead.

I liked this answer a bit more than I should have. ;p

This post was edited by Kratuk at August 12, 2019 1:18 PM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    August 12, 2019 1:50 PM PDT

Kratuk said:

Kilsin said:

If I was on my rogue character probably the heavily armed guard. Because that's either going to yield some fun loot or a situation rife with hilarity. In RPGs like say Kingdom Come Deliverance, I will often steal from merchants if that merchant is a real prick. lol I have a policy in most RPGs. I won't steal from good peeps unless it is absolutely necessary. But if those peeps are a bit on the prickish side, then avast matey, there be booty in them thar pockets.

dorotea said:

I liked this answer a bit more than I should have. ;p

i'm a questgiver.  bring me the hands of 5 rogues (max level) that have stolen for us poor hapless merchants (weekly pvp quest).  i'll provide a willowisp lamp that helps you detect stealth units within a 10 meter radius.  your reward is a week special access reagents for stealth detection, anti theft potion, anti assassin spurs (launches you into they air with slow fall when you are cc'd)

(on the other side a rogue quest giver....)

bring me the transaction scripts from these merchants to get a week special access to rogue specific reagents (vanishing powder, blinding dust, cooldown juice, etc)

• 432 posts
    August 12, 2019 2:39 PM PDT

Kittik said:

Am I required to steal for some reason?  I wouldn't steal otherwise.

That. I have never been stealing in any game. Even in ESO where the thief guild is a very important and, unfortunately quite useful, part of the game I have never been stealing unless forced by a quest and then I didn't feel well.

• 470 posts
    August 12, 2019 3:06 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

i'm a questgiver.  bring me the hands of 5 rogues (max level) that have stolen for us poor hapless merchants (weekly pvp quest).  i'll provide a willowisp lamp that helps you detect stealth units within a 10 meter radius.  your reward is a week special access reagents for stealth detection, anti theft potion, anti assassin spurs (launches you into they air with slow fall when you are cc'd)

(on the other side a rogue quest giver....)

bring me the transaction scripts from these merchants to get a week special access to rogue specific reagents (vanishing powder, blinding dust, cooldown juice, etc)

Playing questgiver is fun sometimes. I set up a long series of quests with about 4 guildees in LOTRO a while back. Had someone giving out the quest in Bree that started with finding me at Weathertop. I sent them to get something and take it to another guildee hiding by orcs and so on. We gave out some crafted gear and potions as rewards. Good fun.

• 388 posts
    August 12, 2019 5:18 PM PDT

Kellie said:

this. 

but if i were forced to pick: i would steal from the one that had what I needed. Coin? the merchant, weapon?-the armed guard, a piece of stinky cheese?- the beggar...  i can't justify stealing. 

• 2419 posts
    August 12, 2019 8:12 PM PDT

So is VR actually thinking about making stealing a skill that every class/race can employ against an NPC?  A skill we could actually train up over time? And isn't this just a reash of the stealing in the market place thread from last month?

• 1428 posts
    August 13, 2019 6:51 AM PDT

Flapp said:

Kellie said:

this. 

but if i were forced to pick: i would steal from the one that had what I needed. Coin? the merchant, weapon?-the armed guard, a piece of stinky cheese?- the beggar...  i can't justify stealing. 

please even clerics steal.  they steal life away from death.

• 3 posts
    August 13, 2019 8:07 AM PDT
    As a rogue, I would steal from all of them, I am an equal opportunity thief. If you cannot hold onto your money I will gladly hold onto it for you :)