Forums » Fan Fiction

The Plan from Tales of Gelfzyn

• 53 posts
    August 11, 2019 4:36 PM PDT

The Story Line:
    The Decision (September 22, 2017)
    The Decision: Part II (September 26, 2017)
    A Shared Concern (February 26, 2018)
    The Molnea (January 11, 2018)
    The Wolf Pup (October 8, 2017)
    If At First (July 11, 2018)
    If At First – Part 2 (January 5, 2019)
    Where Darkness Dwells (June 1, 2019)
    The Plan (This)
    The Journey – Thronefast (todo)
    The Journey – Faerthale (todo)
    The Dark Lord's Gift (February 15, 2018)
    The Journey – Oldassan Citadel (todo)
    The Bargain (todo)
    The Deception (todo)

"Well, I hope his spirit can find some peace now." Mylah offered as we watched the wind take the last of the reddish dust, final remains of the guardian knight.
      "I too", I added shifting my gaze to the obelisk before us. "With the effort it took to get here and the story from the knight, I think we should gather as much information about this pillar as we can."
      Sol'ren took out his notebook and started to circle the obelisk. The others began carefully brushing away the moss and lichen that covered most the stone. The etchings revealed details of the events that lead up to the construction of the Staff of Ittero and confirmed many of Sol'ren assumptions. As he closed his book, he stated "My best estimate is that the conjunction will occur within the next year. I must get this information back to the Keepers. They will be able to determine the exact date."
      I said that I agreed and added that we also need to inform the Humans and Dwarves of this danger. The future seemed to becoming more complicated with each bit of information we discovered. Looking around, I saw Mylah staring at the top of the obelisk.

"Hey big guy." Mylah hailed Darsyth "I need you to give me a boost up to check the top of this thing.". To her request, Darsyth wandered over to stand next to the obelisk and gave Mylah a leg up to stand on his shoulders.
      "Not high enough." she complained.
      "Here" he said "Stand on my hands and I'll push you up higher."
      As I stepped back to watch this display of acrobatics, Darsyth pressed Mylah higher over his head. Balancing on his hands, I saw her pull out a dagger and work at something that glinted in the setting sun. After a minute or so, she leaps down with her prize and gave Darsyth a peck on the cheek. "Thanks muscles" she grinned and wandered over to me. Sol'ren had also noticed her activity and walked over to us as well.
      "So what treasure have you found oh master thief?" as I watched her approach.
      "Always like to pick up something from an adventure. Gives you talking point for a good story." she replied
      "May I look at that?" Sol'ren asked. "Sure. Just give it back when you're done." Smiling as if she were a cat that had just caught a bird.
      "Seems to be a heart stone." he ventured, handing the gem back to her.
      "A heart stone?" I inquired.
      "Yes, in the hands of a skilled alchemist, it can be enhanced for a magic user to lock down a spell weave. Think of it as a lynch pin for a complex structure." he replied. "Its power is now drained, but it could be used again." he added.
      "Well, it's mine now." Mylah beamed as she held her treasure.
      "If there's nothing else to look at, it's getting dark so we'd better head back to camp now and get an early start tomorrow." I suggested.
      With no objections, we hiked back and found Sornir laying in the middle of camp munching on a rabbit he had caught.

The trip back to Sorhiryth in Wild's End was peaceful. I was wrapped up in thought as to what to do next. When the party was about to  disperse to tell their friends about our adventure, I cautioned them to not tell anyone about the staff or the lore about the Silent Wrath as it might cause undo panic. For myself, I headed straight to Gran's hut on the outskirts of town.

I found her still working on the flowered dress she'd been embroidering when we left a few days ago. Sornir loped forward and put his head on her lap. "And I'm happy to see you to Sornir, but I can't sew if you're resting on my work." she said. "Now shoo. There's fresh sweet water in the bowl over there for you to freshen up. Go now." as she gave his head a gentle push.
      Sornir trotted over to the bowl, paused slightly, glanced over into the trees nearby, then continued to the water bowl and began lapping up the refreshing drink.
      "Bright stars and safe travels grandmother." I offered as I approached.
      "Well, to such a formal greeting, how can I refuse you. Sit here and tell me what's troubling you." she replied and motioned to a spot on the bench next to her.
      "It turns out that the obelisk we found filled in a lot of questions. It also turns out that Sol'ren had come to the East here to study this legend. I had always wondered what an Elf would be doing in Wild's End, but had never thought to ask him."
      "So, do you have a better idea of what to do now?" Gran asked.
      "Yeah, sort of, in the near time. Sol'ren needs to get back to Faerthale to present his notes and I'm thinking that we should go to Thronefast to warn the humans. The Dwarves also need to be told I think."
      At this Gran nodded. "Aye, that sounds like a good plan to start with. Oh, and I have the map I promised that shows the routes to Thronefast, Faerthale, and the Oldassan Citadel in Khadassa. It will be a bit of a journey, but not too much for an up and coming ranger as yourself." she smiled.
      I grinned a little at that ending comment, but then my face went sullen again as I though of what was troubling me. "And there's the problem." I said. "I don't think I can do this venture alone and I don't think I have the right to ask the others to give up their homes and risk life and limb on a legend." and shrugged.
      "Oh Pup, don't underestimate your friends and don't go making their decisions for them." she replied in her best grandmotherly fashion. "If any of them don't want to go, they will tell you. But, you have to ask them first. Besides, do you think yourself a master Bard that could convince them to do something that they don't want to do?"
      "Yes, you're right as usual Gran." he smiled. "They all have been trustworthy and supportive. I'll plot a possible route for the trip, given this map, and just ask if they'd like to come along. It won't be just a simple adventure this time. We can only hope that the three pieces of the staff are still safe and secure. We're just going the visit each city and provide them a report of our findings. The leaders of the three races should be more than capable of dealing with some necromancer trying to take over the world." I said with a small laugh.
      "Take care and be safe Pup." as Gran patted my arm as I got up to leave.
      "Come on Sornir. You'd like to see the world outside Wild's End wouldn't you?" At that Sornir raised his head from the bowl and trotted over to walk beside me, with a brief glace to the trees, as I left the glen.

Stepping out of the shadows, the cloaked figure approached Gran to stand near her work table. "I see that you didn't mention the prophecy to him." he offered.
      "That should a band of Kiri with the seed of Marthus at their lead oppose the plan, the staff shall fail" she whispered. Turning to the robed figure she said. "With all the boy has to deal with now, I didn't want to put the weight of an old prophecy on his mind as well. He's done well so far. I think that Kiren has chosen well for this task."
      "I agree." replied the cloaked figure. "I will be interested in reading my son's report when he arrives in Faerthale." The figure bowed as he retreated back into the shadows. "Bright stars and safe travels Saida Oakfaren of the Kiri."
      "And to you, Elduin Naefir of the high towers." she smiled back.
      With a faint flash of fairy light, the figure was gone and Gran returned to her embroidery.

This post was edited by gelfzin at August 11, 2019 4:40 PM PDT