Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Scale of Infamy

• 1428 posts
    July 11, 2019 1:14 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

stellarmind said:

HemlockReaper said:

I suggested Fame, not titles. Now I’m not against a Title system, but thats not what I was going for with this post.

how do i know who's a famous goblin slayer if there is no title? 

Fame Bar, Simmliar to health bar

do you mean it's just a system that explains your disposition?  like neutral, good evil, lawful, chaotic?

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at July 11, 2019 1:15 PM PDT
    • 521 posts
    July 11, 2019 1:20 PM PDT

No, a system that displays a visible measurement( Like a health bar/Stamina bar)  of your accumulated fame. Be that from heroic deeds or diabolical ones, perhaps is could be colored coded to reflect good vs Bad.

• 1428 posts
    July 11, 2019 1:25 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

No, a system that displays a visible measurement( Like a health bar/Stamina bar)  of your accumulated fame. Be that from heroic deeds or diabolical ones, perhaps is could be colored coded to reflect good vs Bad.

oh so something akin to swtor light and dark side.  has no actual gameplay implications other than a visual appearance?  but then what's the point other than having other players know my alignment? 

• 521 posts
    July 11, 2019 1:27 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

HemlockReaper said:

oh so something akin to swtor light and dark side.  has no actual gameplay implications other than a visual appearance?  but then what's the point other than having other players know my alignment? 

braggin rights, same reason i got back to noobie town to show off my fancy armour lol

• 1428 posts
    July 11, 2019 1:45 PM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

stellarmind said:

HemlockReaper said:

braggin rights, same reason i got back to noobie town to show off my fancy armour lol

if everyone can achieve the desired degree on a fix scale only to the individual... it's not special.

if the scale was based on all players that's a different story.  then the most infamous/famous would be something.  you'd have to do a weekly reset and have it degrade to neutral over time for the scale it even matter.

eh good and evil is too broad really.  i would specialize the scale.

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at July 11, 2019 1:46 PM PDT
    • 521 posts
    July 11, 2019 1:59 PM PDT

Thats why I suggested doing in it on a curve where the meter isn't just a flat number of 1000 fame points Equals a full 100% Fame bar. This would I guess make is Pvp’ish, but your fame bar percentage would be in compassion to the player with the highest amount, who would be at 100% . This of course would require Fame degradation of some kind to offset Launch players vs players coming in 5 years later.

• 1303 posts
    July 11, 2019 7:03 PM PDT

I can find no support in me for systems to measure player popularity. Why reinforce insecurities that lead to desperate and misguided quests for acceptance? Don't we get enough of that kind of stupidity with social media? 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at July 11, 2019 7:04 PM PDT
    • 238 posts
    July 11, 2019 11:16 PM PDT

Feyshtey said:

I can find no support in me for systems to measure player popularity. Why reinforce insecurities that lead to desperate and misguided quests for acceptance? Don't we get enough of that kind of stupidity with social media? 

I agree with this. I think the last game I played with a popularity system was TERA and its "political" system. Long story short guilds were elected based on their fame and popularity. The more guild members that a guild had the better chance it had at being elected over a province. There were guilds who took this system to the extream and created multiple versions of themselves and instructed their members on which guilds to vote for what areas. Honestly, it was a worthless and pointless system that was easily rigged. 

• 238 posts
    July 12, 2019 12:42 AM PDT

HemlockReaper said:

It goes without saying that reputation is something that is meant to carry weight in Pantheon. A system that I suggest should be more than a means of tagging the scammers, deviants or undesirables to avoid.

What if, your reputation was a reflection of your deeds, a measurement of your fame/infamy and carried with it bonues or penalties based on your position in the scale. A scale that for example, and simplicity could be measured as Total Villain -10 to Hero +10, with a commoner being at 0.

To calculate your position on the scale, every completed Quest/Raid, invite, PVP kill, Heal, @mention in chat, Number Players Buying/using your crafted items, ect.. could be used as a measurement of your “Fame” against other players on a curve, Making the difficultly of reaching absolute -10 or +10 based on the collective efforts of players.

Some Examples: NPC’s could mention at random hearing stories of your deeds to other players as they stroll though town. Prices of items could be discounted or hiked based on your level of fame, assuming villains would have a Pantheon equivalent of thieves landing. A Hall of Deeds could display statues of the players characters, and mob Aggro could increase as your fame rises, or lesson as your infamy rises. Fame Score, Could be displayed like your health and stamina.

Food for thought.

Reputation and fame/infamy are two totally different concepts.  

Fame and Infamy systems only affect players relationships with guards. ESO has this system and so does GTA online. A players infamy level reflects how likely they are to be attacked by the guards, not how well respected they are amongst the player base. I feel like if you were to extend this system to the player base, then choosing to group with an infamous player should also decrease your fame as well (to be realistic), and if it did then that very action would divide the player community. This system also wouldn't be an accurate representation of how well liked someone is in the player base.

Reputation is how well a player is liked within the player base, and it should be based on their actions within the community. I feel like if a player is going to get popular (either in good terms or bad standing) it is going to be because of how they treat and interact with other people. I think that if a player wants to be well known then that is a great personal goal, but it should not be an artificial system within the game.  You brought up such actions such as grouping, healing, crafting, questing and PvPing (which I'm pretty sure is not being planned for), all of these things can impact a player's reputation on their own. If someone goes out of their way to help a low level get something done this just increased that player reputation a little bit, if a player helps someone get a piece of gear either by crafting or giving up a piece that they won in a roll this increases that players reputation. If a player goes out of their way to farm money for their guild because it is running low then that affects a player's reputation. Healing someone on the brink of death, or rezing someone without asking for payment also increases a players reputation (these actions hold a lot more weight with a death penalty).

There is an old saying that "kindness goes a long way" and when it comes to someone's reputation this is the truth. All the people asking to have player reputation matter again aren't asking for an artificial system to facilitate this, they are asking for a community that can support this ideology.  They want to see communal bonds come back into the MMO genre, and they want these bonds becoming strong enough to matter again. The only way to create this community and make player reputation matter again is to bring back class interdependence, promote grouping, and promote player communication.