Forums » News and Announcements

June 2019 Newsletter: Summer Solstice Sparks Sizzling Stories

• June 19, 2019 12:55 PM PDT

Summer Solstice Sparks Sizzling Stories!

June’s newsletter brings the fire with an in-depth look at Faerthale, the newest Underwraps, an interview with Tyler Stokes, a new signature character, and our newest Community Spotlight. Let us know what you think!
    Cheers!
    Brasse

ow.ly/X3jS50uImye

This post was edited by Roenick at June 19, 2019 1:16 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    June 19, 2019 1:17 PM PDT

Until today, Project Faerthale sounded to me like a single city zone. After reading this it now sounds like it's either an extremely large zone with a lot of wilderness areas surrounding it, or several zones that are all in the same vicinity.

Regarding the Intro about "when is alpha?" or "when will it launch?"; there could still be ways to answer those questions. What may help quench the thirst of people asking them is to talk about the different things that need to be done in the game to reach those states in generic terms that do not give away your internal timelines. For example, some companies may insist on all graphics being in place before alpha, where others may not care as much about graphics but insist on all zones being gray-boxed in. Maybe talk about your philosophies about that type of development.

Can't wait to find out more.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 19, 2019 1:24 PM PDT
    • 1399 posts
    June 19, 2019 1:28 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Until today, Project Faerthale sounded to me like a single city zone. After reading this it now sounds like it's either an extremely large zone with a lot of wilderness areas surrounding it, or several zones that are all in the same vicinity.

Regarding the Intro about "when is alpha?" or "when will it launch?"; there could still be ways to answer those questions. What may help quench the thirst of people asking them is to talk about the different things that need to be done in the game to reach those states in generic terms that do not give away your internal timelines. For example, some companies may insist on all graphics being in place before alpha, where others may not care as much about graphics but insist on all zones being gray-boxed in. Maybe talk about your philosophies about that type of development.

Can't wait to find out more.

I agree with Bigbogchris here, not a time line, but a simple list (longer list of smaller items would show more progress) and simply check off the list each month. Might appease the masses a bit. I would look forward to it I know.

• 259 posts
    June 19, 2019 2:07 PM PDT

Awesome Newsletter!

• 1479 posts
    June 19, 2019 2:09 PM PDT

Very interesting NL, and to see the evolution of saicred from a crowd player to an official tester. The concept arts are gorgeous, and the thronefast bridge with latest graphics is great.

I can't say I'm not thirsty of more, but as usual, I'm built to be patient.

• 187 posts
    June 19, 2019 2:14 PM PDT
    The only thing I would have LOVED to see would have been in-game screenshots next to the lore and POIs within Faerthale 101. That way when adventuring I totally would remember this place is connected with that lore. I'm a visual person. Nice newsletter filled with lore! Awesome for Saicred and reading his interview was inspiring.
    He's passionate about fixing and breaking stuff lol
    • 372 posts
    June 19, 2019 4:43 PM PDT

Lucent hype!  My word I'm excited.   Thank you.   Great newsletter. Glad for the descriptions.  Wanted more pictures but love the art.  If anything interests me in playing an Elf, it is the colors. /geekout

• 7 posts
    June 19, 2019 5:13 PM PDT

As someone who’s been interested in the Elves since the original round table, this was an awesome newsletter for me.

I agree, based on all the areas revealed I wouldn’t be surprised if Faerthale ends up encompassing a good 20-30 levels worth of content. It sounds like VR wants to really make it feel like our choice of race should really define the adventure we have, and give us the opportunity to truly explore them and their role on Terminus, rather than making it a training zone that you can outlevel in just a few hours.

So the Ashen and Ember factions are not “true rivals” as you put it, allthough they have polar opposite philosophies of life - so I’m guessing it won’t be like the Erudites vs Kerra from Everquest. It seems like the Ember will be a lot like classic Wood Elves in terms of favoring more outdoorsy classes, but with personalities closer to Blood Elves From WoW. (Although we don’t really know yet if the descriptions mostly apply to the most hardened/devout members, and many of the actual NPCs we will meet could easily have come from the other faction)

Now I’m curious to learn more about the main champion on the Ashen side, whoever they may be.

• 74 posts
    June 19, 2019 6:25 PM PDT
    Woohoo Minus!! Very cool. Great update VR! Can’t wait to hey my halfling rolling!

~ Caffeineinjected ~
    • 46 posts
    June 19, 2019 11:06 PM PDT

Special thanks to Justin Gerhart for giving us the missing piece of the 1st part of Tales from the Fire!

• 124 posts
    June 20, 2019 12:18 AM PDT

have yet to read it. i think something went wrong with the email, it lands me on the may newsletter when clicking 'read this newsletter on the web'

• 627 posts
    June 20, 2019 3:48 AM PDT
    What a wonderful newsletter thanks a lot!

Cant wait to explore the lands, Woods and caves in Fearthale. The elves culture and Lore got me a lot more interested in playing as an elf. But still unsure yet. Ogre and Arcai is still on top of My list :)

Upwards and onwards, my friends. May the coding and typing come with ease :)
    • 1247 posts
    June 20, 2019 5:03 AM PDT

Great work! :)

• 2138 posts
    June 20, 2019 12:46 PM PDT

Phantheons- I like it!

• 388 posts
    June 20, 2019 3:11 PM PDT

Great Newsletter.

Thaeolyn Greyborne is now my desktop wallpaper (sure would like that in 4k). Thank you, btw, for adding so many images to the 4K download area ;)

I really loved the art work along side the things you were talking about. Adytum of Aellos drawing looks so amazing. Can not wait to see that in the game

I love what you are doing with Pledges. We do need a $750 Pledge. I plan to hit $500 very soon and would love a landing at $750 that I could catapult from to hit $1k.

I pulled the world map up and had Faerthale area zoomed in trying to imagine the areas in the art work. Like Lo'thale, White gate, Oldwood etc. 

Thaeolyn's story was interesting. When She was "brought by ship to Thronefast" was that a direct route or did they river boat her from Ru'lun port?! If direct did they go North and dodge icebergs as they rounded The Seven Locked Door or did they go allllll the way around Wild's End and Veil of Azeris? ( fun stuff to think about)

Quote:  

"Having proven her worth, Thaeolyn now commands a troop of Dythiir's Hand, defending the White Gate, a pass in the Roan border. She is a fierce and loyal commander, changing course from that of a rogue to a front of the line warrior, though still retaining the knacks of her previous life."

Did you just reveal a tidbit of PROGENY?!?! Specifically "changing course from Rogue to Warrior" "retaining knacks of her 'previous life'"   things that make you go, hmmm..

Looks like working with Roenick and Saicred could be fun too. Interesting to see so many, like Minus, that are going to be Rogues. Seemed to be very unpopular in EQ but Pantheon seems to have lots of Rogue love. 

Great letter. Keep the info coming. We support the game because we see it moving forward. Keep up the great work. 

This post was edited by Flapp at June 20, 2019 3:14 PM PDT
    • 801 posts
    June 20, 2019 5:04 PM PDT

When will we expect new updates about the summoner class? a possible video etc.. I will warn those of us that love the class will be very critical.. please dont rush it.

• 74 posts
    June 20, 2019 8:55 PM PDT

So I guess the third dimension for Faerthale requires some more time....hmmm....

This post was edited by Land at June 20, 2019 8:55 PM PDT
    • 216 posts
    June 21, 2019 5:01 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

When will we expect new updates about the summoner class? a possible video etc.. I will warn those of us that love the class will be very critical.. please dont rush it.

I bet the next stream we get will have the summoner, it must be near to ready for the spot light. But as you say I'd rather wait for it to be polished up to the standard of other classes before we see it. It will be exciting to see the summoner in action and hopefully the pet controls, I want to get an idea of what the shaman pet commands will be like as well.