Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Que Time

This topic has been closed.
    • 696 posts
    May 16, 2019 7:55 AM PDT

Out of the years of waiting for this game, I don't think que time has been discussed yet. I remember in EQ waiting to get into the server I was in and watching that number go down for upwards of 30 mins. Same with WoW back in the day. I was wondering about this dilemma for the start of the game and usually a few expansions pass the launch. Even though they will have a certain amount of population on a single server that doesn't account for the people that aren't on on the same server, so what about the que time? Especially if trial accounts are going to be a thing.

I was thinking there should be a hierachy in terms of the queing line. Maybe something along the lines of pledges get priority, accounts with subscriptions, and then trial accounts in terms of the que line. So if you are a pledge and start the game up, then you can basically cut in line behind the next pledge account. If you are already in the game I don't think you should get kicked out for someone with priority, but remembering that que line back in the day took a good chunk of play time out of the session sometimes. Also, I don't know if this is considered pay to win since you technically have advantage over getting into the game faster. However, I don't know how they are going to handle the start of the game, server numbers, and if trials will be there at the start or a month or two after launch.

• 1247 posts
    May 16, 2019 8:03 AM PDT

Nice thoughts ^

• 1428 posts
    May 16, 2019 8:44 AM PDT

Watemper said:

Out of the years of waiting for this game, I don't think que time has been discussed yet. I remember in EQ waiting to get into the server I was in and watching that number go down for upwards of 30 mins. Same with WoW back in the day. I was wondering about this dilemma for the start of the game and usually a few expansions pass the launch. Even though they will have a certain amount of population on a single server that doesn't account for the people that aren't on on the same server, so what about the que time? Especially if trial accounts are going to be a thing.

I was thinking there should be a hierachy in terms of the queing line. Maybe something along the lines of pledges get priority, accounts with subscriptions, and then trial accounts in terms of the que line. So if you are a pledge and start the game up, then you can basically cut in line behind the next pledge account. If you are already in the game I don't think you should get kicked out for someone with priority, but remembering that que line back in the day took a good chunk of play time out of the session sometimes. Also, I don't know if this is considered pay to win since you technically have advantage over getting into the game faster. However, I don't know how they are going to handle the start of the game, server numbers, and if trials will be there at the start or a month or two after launch.

sounds like elitism

• 372 posts
    May 16, 2019 8:45 AM PDT

Strongly dislike it

• 3852 posts
    May 16, 2019 9:15 AM PDT

Firstly - if VR does a good job there will not be any queues except under exceptional circumstances. They will determine maximum server population (factoring in the certainty that some players will leave the game and some players will create multiple characters) and prevent new character creation when the maximum is reached. Perhaps allowing new characters only to persons with existing characters on the server. Opening character creation again if population dips. The server software/hardware will be set up so that it can handle the volume they permit.

The first few weeks of the game, the first weeks of a major content expansion, shortly after they introduce a new race or class all may put an unusual load on the server. I don't know if current hardware/software is good enough to allow virtually any number of people to log on at the same time with no queues. So yes - queues may exist at times.

It makes eminent sense and is traditional in the industry to allow subscribers priority in the queue over non-subscribers (since they do not currently plan on free play, by non-subscriber I mean free trial) although I can see an argument *not* to place free trial players at the bottom because you are trying to encourage them not discourage them. 

Giving people that pledged months or years ago priority over people that are paying the same subscription fee they are strikes me as an ...imperfectly good idea. Good for we who sibscribed - less good for the game to tell anyone other than us that they are second-class citizens.

This post was edited by dorotea at May 16, 2019 9:16 AM PDT
    • 1033 posts
    May 16, 2019 9:24 AM PDT

This should be handled at the subscription level. That is, if two people are paying a sub, both should have equal access. Pledges will go away at some point which makes it imbalanced to offer such a benefit that a newer player can not remedy. If this is such a concern, "premium" servers can be offered where players can pay a higher subscription to get more services. This allows any and all to choose such or not.

As for FTP, they deserve no consideration in this issue as they are not contributing to the game in any manner, their benefits should properly reflect that.

This post was edited by Tanix at May 16, 2019 9:24 AM PDT
    • 372 posts
    May 16, 2019 9:37 AM PDT

Tanix said:

As for FTP, they deserve no consideration in this issue as they are not contributing to the game in any manner, their benefits should properly reflect that.

Slow down and think.  VR believes they're important.  

As for the OP, this thread is yet another 'we deserve better treatment than others' thread. If money should give you priority, let's just have a cash shop. Thanks.

• 1033 posts
    May 16, 2019 9:43 AM PDT

Tigersin said:

Tanix said:

As for the OP, this thread is yet another 'we deserve better treatment than others' thread. If money should give you priority, let's just have a cash shop. Thanks.

They do not pay, they do not contribute,  and any company that places them equal in services to a paying customer will eventually lose their business. 

Think on this. Which one can keep Pantheon open (without RMT stores that is)? The FTP or paying subs?

The day I try to connect to Pantheon and I am in line to get on a server with a bunch of FTP is the day I cancel my sub to Pantheon.

• 1428 posts
    May 16, 2019 10:17 AM PDT

you know i'm okay if you want to pay more money for better connectivity.  i don't think it should be included in the pledge section.  something like priority subscription where you pay 20 dollars and have priority que. 30 dollars a month if you want instant access.  it's like flying on a plane.  you can fly first class if you want or you can be a pleb like me and fly economy, but i don't have that kind of money so i'll take the train.

• 1428 posts
    May 16, 2019 10:20 AM PDT

@ tigersin and tanix.  is it me are you guys arguing on things you both agree on? 

f2p and trials are two different beasts.

• 1033 posts
    May 16, 2019 10:31 AM PDT

stellarmind said:

@ tigersin and tanix.  is it me are you guys arguing on things you both agree on? 

f2p and trials are two different beasts.

I don't think so.

He is arguing that FTP should be given equal access and then saying if a sub deserves better access this is the same as an RMT store.

I was saying that FTP is of no business value compared to a paying customer when it comes to this issue. Telling a paying customer that they should wait outside while they allow a non-paying customer to come inside and play for free is business suicide.

At the base of my comment about services, all are paying, some are just paying more for better access. My point was at the base, all are paying and so all are customers. FTP are "potential" customers, and while they can be a good market to gain customers from, considering them the same as a paying customer is beyond reason and any business that does tells me they are more concerned about what they "might get" than those they are currently getting it from. Any business that works like that I won't do business with.

• 1428 posts
    May 16, 2019 10:42 AM PDT

so free trial player = FTP

meh w.e in my mind you guys agree.  it hurts i'm going to drink my headaches away now.

• 187 posts
    May 16, 2019 10:44 AM PDT

I like this. We supported the development and helped make the game possible. So get us in there playing ASAP. Almost like buying a "fast pass" at amusement & theme parks ;-)

This post was edited by Kastor at May 16, 2019 10:45 AM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    May 16, 2019 10:53 AM PDT

Kastor said:

I like this. We supported the development and helped make the game possible. So get us in there playing ASAP. Almost like buying a "fast pass" at amusement & theme parks ;-)

like a youtube premium account.  ya can't stop elitism so might as well make money off of it XD

• 413 posts
    May 16, 2019 12:37 PM PDT

This should not be an issue, as it was in the past.  It would be a good problem to have "a line to get into the game".

If there was wait - I would allow the non-subscription "new trials" in first.  After all I am trying to get them to buy the product.  I already have your money so y'all (suckers) can wait.  Ha ha ha ha....

put that in your elite pipe and smoke it.  :P

This post was edited by Zevlin at May 16, 2019 12:39 PM PDT
    • 370 posts
    May 16, 2019 1:21 PM PDT

People are content in a multiplayer game. Treating people like second class because they are still in a trial unsure if they want to buy a game state does nothing to win them over. Everyone gets in line, first in first out.

• 844 posts
    May 16, 2019 1:39 PM PDT

I don't recall ever getting a queue logging into EQ1.

Maybe a specific server, or after the seven years I played.

• 370 posts
    May 16, 2019 1:43 PM PDT

zewtastic said:

I don't recall ever getting a queue logging into EQ1.

Maybe a specific server, or after the seven years I played.

The only time I remember was right after maintenance. I'd say 99% of the time it was never an issue. 

• 363 posts
    May 16, 2019 1:50 PM PDT

Elitism?!? /snicker

• 206 posts
    May 16, 2019 3:37 PM PDT

Tigersin said:

Tanix said:

I agree completely Tigersin. There is no cutsies in queue times. I dont care if you donated 10 grand to the game. This isnt pay to win(or pay to get 'ahead'). I've donated my share of money but if someone logged on at 8am and i waited until 815 why should i get prioraty to log in before them and make them wait even longer? I'd hate it if roles were reveresed.

Also, for some reason I dont think Pantheon will run into OP issue at all. Just my opinion. 

• 28 posts
    May 16, 2019 3:44 PM PDT

So if I have more items in my shopping cart at the grocery store I should be able to cut to the front of the line? Who thinks like this? Stupid topic

• 28 posts
    May 16, 2019 3:44 PM PDT

duplicate

This post was edited by gertdoggy at May 16, 2019 3:44 PM PDT
    • 372 posts
    May 16, 2019 7:21 PM PDT

You're right, Valorous1, it probably won't. Feels good to see some of these posts.  o7

• 187 posts
    May 16, 2019 8:09 PM PDT

gertdoggy said:

So if I have more items in my shopping cart at the grocery store I should be able to cut to the front of the line? Who thinks like this? Stupid topic

That's an absolutely terrible analogy for paying customers with subs vs free trials.

Even the movie theater has a completely seperate line for paying members (you purchase per year). It gets you better service, discounts, and promotions.  You dont stand in line with all the other non members.  Feels great that I get to skip those lines and go about my movie experience. As I walk by the lines of people I love knowing that I crushed my enemies, I see them driven before me, and hear the lamentation of their women!

• 372 posts
    May 16, 2019 8:55 PM PDT

Kastor said:

That's an absolutely terrible analogy for paying customers with subs vs free trials.

Even the movie theater has a completely seperate line for paying members (you purchase per year). It gets you better service, discounts, and promotions.  You dont stand in line with all the other non members.  Feels great that I get to skip those lines and go about my movie experience. As I walk by the lines of people I love knowing that I crushed my enemies, I see them driven before me, and hear the lamentation of their women!

Speaking of terrible analogies.  Movie theaters.  Yep.

Anyway, the OP isn't just about subs and free trials but rather a hierarchy including pledges.