Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Will Pantheon Endgame be Classic WoW all the way?

• 11 posts
    May 10, 2019 9:38 AM PDT
    Or will you become a literal God at Max level like on WoW. Killing Raid Bosses and Aggroing 30+ mobs?

Also what about Attack and Spell animations will they be basic or like WoW,ESO,FFIVX?
    • 1281 posts
    May 10, 2019 9:50 AM PDT

In a word.  No. As for the animations, we don't know yet.

• 370 posts
    May 10, 2019 9:51 AM PDT

Warlunhardt said: Or will you become a literal God at Max level like on WoW. Killing Raid Bosses and Aggroing 30+ mobs? Also what about Attack and Spell animations will they be basic or like WoW,ESO,FFIVX?

I'm not sure I understand the question. I would recomend watching some youtube videos on classic EQ. As for attack animations we don't know yet as they're still being developed, though it's safe to assume WoWish. FFXIV is a little bit more theatrical then I think they're planning. 

• 696 posts
    May 10, 2019 10:16 AM PDT

This is open world, so no...not like WoW. Secondly....they aren't making a solo play game, although if you find away to solo mobs then it isn't discouraged, but you won't be the hero or champion like in WoW. You will just be another person trying to survive the world that your character is in. Look at EQ/Vangaurd for examples on how powerful your character will be in the world.

• 12 posts
    May 10, 2019 6:06 PM PDT

Warlunhardt the game's going to be much more akin to older MMO's than those you seem familiar with. Gameplay and general community will (hopefully) be nothing like the most common aspects of WoW. If anything maybe a little reminiscent of FFXIV, but not really.  

• 1281 posts
    May 10, 2019 7:46 PM PDT

I think part of the problem with some older games is they did not plan for a future beyond the initial release. Pantheon is being designed from the ground up to have the level cap raised. That means the developers know where players are going to be power wise many years in advance.

• 523 posts
    May 11, 2019 2:10 AM PDT

The answer is Classic WoW, not current WoW.  You will be able to go back to lower level areas and light them up, but anything close to your level is going to require a lot of help, especially end game mobs.  I understand the question perfectly, and nobody in this game is going to be soloing raid mobs without exploiting.  As for animations, after looking at the Warrior demo ones on the recent stream, I think it's going to be similar to WoW, just without the cartoony graphics.  They definitely aren't going to be basic if they apply the warrior animation concept to all classes, which is what Joppa said the plan is, or at least definitely with the melee fighters like the Rogue, Monk, and Ranger.  Casters obviously will likely focus on spell effects a bit more than animations.

This post was edited by Mathir at May 11, 2019 2:11 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    May 11, 2019 8:05 AM PDT

The goal is not to even have an endgame - or if there is one, just for a small number of people that insist on speed-leveling through the important parts of the game. 

Certainly, in a group-centric game, a character at maximum level will still need a full group of other characters at maximum level to do most of the content. To solo it will need to go to lower level areas.

• 125 posts
    May 11, 2019 1:36 PM PDT

Warlunhardt said: Or will you become a literal God at Max level like on WoW. Killing Raid Bosses and Aggroing 30+ mobs? Also what about Attack and Spell animations will they be basic or like WoW,ESO,FFIVX?

I think you may be looking in the wrong places for a refrence,

I believe when youre max level you may be able to kill some mid level bosses solo, but this typically still dangerous and people only do this to farm named camps for rare loot- the recent dev table teases some of this. Im assuming some of the best pre raid gear for certain classes on certain slots may be something that is dropped from a mid level named mob- ofcourse not everything.

Theres a difficult and cherished mechanic amongst this following called swarm kiting that may or may not be implemented. 30 is a bit much, I beleieve people try to keep the swarm under 10. It envolves charming one of the mobs and then the other 9 attack it beating it down, break the charm close to the end but dont get too sloppy cause if it dies while charmed you loose the xp-if you slip up you die instantly. This mechanic is absolutly not max level only.

If you watch to the end of the new halinir steam they show a teaser of warriors basic weapon attack animations aswell as some of the triggered abilities (bash, kick ect). Basic is the wrong word for it though, I would call it honest and rich.

Maybe VR ideal is for players will become familiar with the different races auto attack animations, and will notice the bash's and kicks- but only if theyre paying attention.

Really hope VR doesnt signal combat abilities with big flashy anime gymnastics and brightly colored outlines w/ and excessive amount of rainbow streams/sparklers.

I think about how MMORPG's have forgotten their text-based roots and have become heavily hack and slash inspired, a big flashy dog and pony show- like the slot machines grandma is glued to at for a whole pack of cigarettes; I pray that Pantheon will be over by card and game tables- grandpa will be there with his scotch.

Here is the recent dungeon dive with animations : https://youtu.be/UNbcrIWk8B4

Here is the recent Dev Roundtable, if you scroll down @kratuk has a play by play with time stamps so you can skip questions and get right to the answers you want : https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/10565/april-dev-roundtable-recording-creative-amp-design

If youre still curious I think its safe to assume that EVERQUEST is going to be your best example of something to compare to, on a progression server(mangler just came out a couple months ago) or P99(the holy trinity).

Good Luck!

PS: I havnt played the new FF RPG but I've played the older one(could have sworn it was also 14) and both those other titles: I dont believe any of those are a very good comparison unless youre talking to someone who has never played or heard about MMORPGS.

• 233 posts
    May 12, 2019 5:06 AM PDT

You've clearly never played wow, especially vanilla wow.

At no point in wows history can you solo raids bosses that are your level.

Vanilla was the hardest phase of wow, people died if even 2 mobs attacked them.

• 191 posts
    May 13, 2019 7:23 AM PDT

Grimseethe said:

There's a lot to like about the design philosophy of Vanilla WoW.  It boldly went completely off the tracks over time, but for a while there it was pretty great; Pantheon would do well to take notes.  I say this as a huge fan of EQ1.

• 297 posts
    May 14, 2019 5:49 AM PDT

Shai said:

Grimseethe said:

There's a lot to like about the design philosophy of Vanilla WoW.  It boldly went completely off the tracks over time, but for a while there it was pretty great; Pantheon would do well to take notes.  I say this as a huge fan of EQ1.

It would definitely be a mistake to ignore the lessons learned and poor decisions from any game in the last 20 years. Everquest was/is a great game, but it was/is extremely flawed in some ways. WoW definitely took lessons from it and improved many aspects of the gameplay -- also changed many aspects of the gameplay in ways that reduced a lot of EQ's charm.

Just as an example, there will always be bad actors in any online game, but if you compare the WoW community to the EQ community, I think EQ did a much better job of self-policing and rooting out bad actors (not fully, of course). I think it is telling that I brought a friend who plays WoW over to EQ and they had a bit of a struggle adjusting to the idea it's not okay to just kill steal and fight people for camps. There was a learning curve because the community expectation of decency is much higher in EQ (even though it is certainly not always lived up to).