Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Can we have a /showdanceoff?

• 4 posts
    April 30, 2019 11:32 PM PDT

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I personally really don't like the sort of goofy modern dance emote in my fantasy MMO sort of thing. Now don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people love it and I really am not suggesting that be taken away from them however even players who enjoy having it I'm sure would like the ability to turn it off when in a busy raid/city where everyone is spamming it or they want to rp crafting in town ect... I think that a simple chat command would really solve the issue entirely. Anyway, just a thought.

This post was edited by citrus at April 30, 2019 11:37 PM PDT
    • 633 posts
    May 1, 2019 9:56 AM PDT

While I'm not against the option itself, I've always been against any option that causes different people to see different representations of the same thing (excepting of course anything required for performance reasons).  I would more prefer that the dances just not be super over the top if there is a dance command.

• 372 posts
    May 1, 2019 1:46 PM PDT

I don't like the implementation of anti-social features that alter the experience of interacting with your community in this way. If you play a massively multiplayer game and want to visit a town full of players, it seems to me wrong to then desire the ability to alter what these players are appear to be doing. I don't think we should have the power to magically not see the Wednesday night pants-off dance-off in Thronefast. 

• 430 posts
    May 1, 2019 1:51 PM PDT

Seems don't use Your Emote commands if you do not like the dance . I like the different dances i see , although I never use them lmao :a

• 223 posts
    May 1, 2019 1:53 PM PDT

Haha Citrus, sounds like you would make a great city avoiding character with a smile as if you bit on the sourest of lemons. Lets see a druid , necro..  :)

• 4 posts
    May 1, 2019 2:05 PM PDT

Tigersin said:

I don't like the implementation of anti-social features that alter the experience of interacting with your community in this way. If you play a massively multiplayer game and want to visit a town full of players, it seems to me wrong to then desire the ability to alter what these players are appear to be doing. I don't think we should have the power to magically not see the Wednesday night pants-off dance-off in Thronefast. 

A lot of people are saying this and to be honest, I hadn't really thought much about it. Now that I have I totally agree, however I still have a big problem with how jarring the goofy modern dances are for me personally. 

• 4 posts
    May 1, 2019 2:06 PM PDT

Yaladan said:

Haha Citrus, sounds like you would make a great city avoiding character with a smile as if you bit on the sourest of lemons. Lets see a druid , necro..  :)

I love hanging out in towns! I just really don't want 20 people afk/Michael Jackson dancing in front of the forge.... T-T

• 372 posts
    May 1, 2019 4:02 PM PDT

I'll be honest, I don't like 'extremely silly' either. I just tolerate it and move on. The MMO crowd is strange like that.  Many of us want to be around a lot of people even when we are being bothered by people around us. 8) 

This post was edited by Tigersin at May 1, 2019 4:02 PM PDT
    • 839 posts
    May 1, 2019 5:03 PM PDT
    It would be kind funny to have a guild pull off a perfectly timed flash mob as you walk through thronefast minding your own business...
    • 200 posts
    May 1, 2019 5:29 PM PDT
    I just hope they make it so the dance only lasts a few seconds. I hope if one types /dance they don't just sit there and dance indefinitely or until they move.

Make it short and sweet.
    • 372 posts
    May 1, 2019 5:31 PM PDT

Haha.  Really?  Not like the dance leagues of GW2? :P

• 93 posts
    May 2, 2019 5:04 PM PDT

I am ok with dance emotes but absolutely against these modern style dances.  They’re just ridiculous in a game like this.  Just my two coppers...

• 159 posts
    May 2, 2019 6:54 PM PDT
    I'm opposed to the modern dances, emotes lasting longer than 5 seconds, Santa hats, real world holidays encroaching into mmos, and general bufoonery
    • 3852 posts
    May 3, 2019 7:02 AM PDT

Some games let players force *other* players do do things such as dance with them. A definite "no" to that please.

I agree with the thought that things like dance emotes should have reasonable time limits and afk emoting is an undesirable feature.

• 1033 posts
    May 3, 2019 7:29 AM PDT

I don't see a problem with allowing this to be turned off. It is common to be able to turn off spell effects, and VR has said in the past that players will be able to turn off the appearance of player's cosmetic gear so whoever turns the switch off can see what the player is actually wearing in terms of gear.

I don't view this as antisocial being that the player will still see the /emote "/soandso dances" so communication of emotes will still be conveyed, but will have the option to avoid watching an animation. I am not sure how it is being social to force people to see what you want them to. /shrug

This post was edited by Tanix at May 3, 2019 7:30 AM PDT
    • 384 posts
    May 3, 2019 3:50 PM PDT

I agree with you @citrus!  I thought I was the only one that was put off by dancing.

• 1095 posts
    May 4, 2019 4:13 PM PDT

citrus said:

Yaladan said:

I love hanging out in towns! I just really don't want 20 people afk/Michael Jackson dancing in front of the forge.... T-T

They can add an endurance check and if people keep the dance on it will eat into health bar after endurance then they will die. Problem Solved

• 43 posts
    May 4, 2019 5:00 PM PDT

Citrus I couldn't agree with you more. I pray for a dance off command in game because I physically cringe every time I see that over the top crap dancing in the streams.

• 1095 posts
    May 4, 2019 6:17 PM PDT

Velrak said:

Citrus I couldn't agree with you more. I pray for a dance off command in game because I physically cringe every time I see that over the top crap dancing in the streams.

I hope they add more like In ESO. I used /sitchair all the time and then theres /pushups on a person doing /situps, in a certian way that made me always laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUaLFvSEz9U

This post was edited by Aich at May 5, 2019 10:19 AM PDT
    • 646 posts
    May 4, 2019 7:59 PM PDT

Aich said:They can add an endurance check and if people keep the dance on it will eat into health bar after endurance then they will die. Problem Solved

That's... a really silly thing to do for a /dance. Just let people /dance to their hearts' content. There will always be some people annoyed by what people choose to do with their time.

• 346 posts
    May 19, 2019 12:22 PM PDT

The topic and all the comments are starting to look like the plot to Footloose. And now Pantheon is firmly within the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.

This post was edited by Janus at May 19, 2019 12:23 PM PDT
    • 372 posts
    May 19, 2019 12:29 PM PDT

This is my minimum requirement for dancing in mmos now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2zfKOWaFo

#overplayed

• 59 posts
    May 19, 2019 1:16 PM PDT

Tigersin said:

So.. you want to force everyone to deal with whoever wants to emote in thier face? Seems like a pretty good option to have a shutoff for the visual and perhaps have any text reduced to some indicator that an emote happened, such as "Soandso is emoting" in some ignorable text channel would be sufficient. At least then you would have the option to turn it back on if you felt like seeing it from someone, without having been spammed first. Emote spam is pretty darn annoying.

Hell if it came down to it, I'd love to have a per character 'on' toggle. Universal 'off', then individual 'on' to see it from friends for example. No idea how feasible that is but these days I can't think of why it wouldn't be possible.

This post was edited by Darck at May 19, 2019 1:23 PM PDT
    • 372 posts
    May 19, 2019 1:30 PM PDT

Darck said:

So.. you want to force everyone to deal with whoever wants to emote in thier face? Seems like a pretty good option to have a shutoff for the visual and perhaps have any text reduced to some indicator that an emote happened, such as "Soandso is emoting" in some ignorable text channel would be sufficient. At least then you would have the option to turn it back on if you felt like seeing it from someone, without having been spammed first. Emote spam is pretty darn annoying.

Hell if it came down to it, I'd love to have a per character 'on' toggle. Universal 'off', then individual 'on' to see it from friends for example. No idea how feasible that is but these days I can't think of why it wouldn't be possible.

To answer your querstion:  No. 

I'm not sure where you're going with the rest of your thoughts but I have no doubt you're on Tanix side as you've mentioned in other threads so I will just say I understand where you're coming from. Toggling individual players would be great!  No idea if that will be an option but it'd be cool. 

• 59 posts
    May 19, 2019 1:59 PM PDT

I don't see why not really. I mean, you can ignore people in most games on an individual basis. Doesn't seem like it would be technically difficult these days. Can't see most folks objecting unless they truly do want to make sure they can't be ignored and really are all about annoying folks heh.