Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Already 20.000 players!

• 154 posts
    April 30, 2019 6:14 PM PDT

How do you guys feel about having already over 20 thousands people on the Pantheon forum while in Pre-Alpha? 

I think that is tremendous! We are probably 12-18 months from release... 20K people on the forum, we can assume there are much more people interested that did not want to donate at this point but might join later. 

Congrats VR! As always, keep up the great work! 

• 844 posts
    April 30, 2019 6:29 PM PDT

More fanboi optimism.

Release in 18m? Beta maybe?

• 223 posts
    April 30, 2019 6:42 PM PDT

Its healthy to be optimistic :)  /dance

• 65 posts
    April 30, 2019 7:10 PM PDT

The longer it takes the older my kids will be and the greater the chance I may get a little peace to play when they are home.

Always find the bright side.

• 2886 posts
    April 30, 2019 7:31 PM PDT

Idk about 12-18 months to release, but you are absolutely right that this is a really awesome community for a game that is still in Pre-Alpha. You're also right that there are many tens of thousands more that are watching from a distance, just waiting to see more tangible progress. The silent majority. But that day will come. It all just hinges on the game being as high quality as VR has said it will be. If it works out, then there's no doubt people will come in by the boatload. The MMO landscape is barren and people are desperate for a good game. There's a lot riding on this, which is why it's understandable that VR take the time they need to make sure they nail it. With this formula, a clean launch = massive success... while a poor launch = just another weak MMO to add to the pile.

• 844 posts
    April 30, 2019 8:09 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Idk about 12-18 months to release, but you are absolutely right that this is a really awesome community for a game that is still in Pre-Alpha. You're also right that there are many tens of thousands more that are watching from a distance, just waiting to see more tangible progress. The silent majority. But that day will come. It all just hinges on the game being as high quality as VR has said it will be. If it works out, then there's no doubt people will come in by the boatload. The MMO landscape is barren and people are desperate for a good game. There's a lot riding on this, which is why it's understandable that VR take the time they need to make sure they nail it. With this formula, a clean launch = massive success... while a poor launch = just another weak MMO to add to the pile.

I disagree.

You're totally misjudging the vast amount of people out there that now play games and consume information about them for numerous social applications.

20K is a drop in the bucket given modern social technology.

Recent years have shown over and over massive popular interest in esoteric games time and time again. It almost becomes a lemming rush for all these peeps that want to get in on the lastest game hype.

• 74 posts
    April 30, 2019 9:20 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Idk about 12-18 months to release.

So longer?

Bazgrim said:

You're also right that there are many tens of thousands more that are watching from a distance.

Cohh's VOD of the latest stream has 7.4K views...Even adding in the people that watched it live, makes your statement sound like nonsense to me.

This post was edited by Land at April 30, 2019 9:20 PM PDT
    • 627 posts
    May 1, 2019 12:14 AM PDT

Agree with Bazgrim that a clean launch is crucial you Pantheons succes. We are now use to all these games releasing in early acces state, with bugs and with limited content. the game needs to be done before VR pushes from beta state to release. I do not mind staying in beta for a year for that single reson. To clean the game up and to add content that is crucial on official release. If VR mannages to get to here, i have no doubt Pantheon will be a game for a big player base years to come.

18 months... my guess is closer to 30 months mate :)

This post was edited by BamBam at May 1, 2019 12:16 AM PDT
    • 21 posts
    May 1, 2019 4:26 AM PDT

zewtastic said:

More fanboi optimism.

Release in 18m? Beta maybe?

More stick in the ass pecimism. ;)

• 409 posts
    May 1, 2019 7:11 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

The MMO landscape is barren and people are desperate for a good game. There's a lot riding on this, which is why it's understandable that VR take the time they need to make sure they nail it. With this formula, a clean launch = massive success... while a poor launch = just another weak MMO to add to the pile.

Per the highlighted, the MMO landscape is far from barren. There are 4 fantasy based MMOs with a population of ~3 million players. Pick your favorite system, mechanics, etc and there is a serious player base with a big IP ready to take your money and time. Even the old school, niche fantasy RPG is covered because of P1999, P2001 and EQ1.

Here's what they need to nail - give a WoW player a reason to dump WoW. Give a FF14 player a reason to dump FF14. Give an ESO player a reason to dump ESO. Nailing down a chunk of the p99/EQ1 folks won't be that hard, but that is like 5k people at best. They need to skim players from the big boys on the block, which at this point includes Old School Runescape, which is rocking a million+ players. Give players in those seriously established, extensive, polished games a compelling reason to dump their toons and move into Terminus. That's a big ask. 

Assuming at least 18 months before a proper release, every player in the MMO world currently playing another MMO (or 2-3), will have that much more time invested in the game they are playing and enjoying now, giving Pantheon a harder sell job.

So yeah, they need to nail the crap out of the landing....because the MMO landscape is far from barren. We'll see. I will play regardless because I pledged pretty seriously, as did my friends, but how big of a market share they grab from a pretty healthy MMO market is anyone's guess.  

• 90 posts
    May 1, 2019 7:28 AM PDT

The reason you're not seeing as much interest as would be expected for a new and upcoming MMO is because no one is playing it yet.

It's not on shelves. It's not being talked about, except by the most ardent, and loyal supporters. It's a blip on the social media scanners right now because it's still in pre-Alpha with no release date announced or in sight. Folks on social media like to talk about stuff they can play, and get now or very soon. Otherwise interest wanes, except within the die-hard community, and will pick up every so often when new information is released. Then the cycle repeats itself until release.

I wouldn't put stock in how popular Pantheon is going to be based on how much is discussed over social media right now. Wait until closer to release, or at least when a date is announced. Then I expect interest and trends on social media will pick up a lot of steam. Right now it's just those of us that pledged, and are chomping at the bit......not mainstream gamers.

• 201 posts
    May 1, 2019 9:15 AM PDT

This is exactly the problem I have been saying for years will arise with an endless development time.  The reality is that people start losing interest and faith in the project and honestly, at a certain point, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of doom when that happens.  You just cannot take 10 years to release a game.  People cannot hold their attention and interest that long.  Yes, obviously some people who are willing to overlook anything and everything in their positive outlook exist, but they are the small small minority, even among the die hard fans.  I personally am dying for this game, and have been for a long time, but frankly, I think if release is still like 3 more years away, then that is a death sentence before this thing even gets alive. 

My thoughts have been that release should have come this year, but that end of next year is about the longest this really can afford to take.  If we are talking end of the year for alpha now, plus like 2 years of alpha, and like a year of beta...not good.  I am not disputing the "this kind of thing takes time" etc type posts, but just pointing out that in the end, no one gives a ****.  Not the least of the reasons is that the team appears to continually be unable to come even close on their estimated time lines and goals.  That does not auger well for several reasons.  The fact that is takes or does not take a certain amount of time with a small team will not alter the commercial reality, and furthermore, this team only has so much money, and the longer it takes, the higher the chance that they run out of money and with a lack of measureable progress and semi-imminent release, the odds of getting more get smaller.  In the end, that will just result in this entire project getting shuttered.  

Unfortunately, after years of this process with nothing really on the horizon, we are seeing more and more of the inevitable negativity given the apparently diminishing prospects for release.  I mean, how many zones are we expecting this thing to have at release?  30? 40? 60? How many have we actually seen anything of? 4? 5?  Legitimate based on team size or not, we just cannot have this thing in development for 10 years.  I seriously hope something changes in a big and positive way because I think the current pace will just lead to a slow bleed of interest, enthusiasm, money and ultimately progress until it comes to a halt.  Boy do I hope I am wrong though.

This post was edited by antonius at May 1, 2019 9:17 AM PDT
    • 197 posts
    May 1, 2019 10:04 AM PDT

Yaladan said:

Its healthy to be optimistic :)  /dance

Exactly. The OP’s point was that the community appears to be alive and well for a game in pre-alpha. It doesn’t seem like most people are feeling pessimistic. If you’re feeling impatient or frustrated, perhaps just step away and focus on other things for a while. We’ll be here when you get back :)

• 409 posts
    May 1, 2019 10:12 AM PDT

Therek said:

Exactly. The OP’s point was that the community appears to be alive and well for a game in pre-alpha. It doesn’t seem like most people are feeling pessimistic. If you’re feeling impatient or frustrated, perhaps just step away and focus on other things for a while. We’ll be here when you get back :)

Or perhaps stay and engage in dialogue so the entire development forum doesn't become a useless echo chamber of fanboi-ism. Criticism advances progress, as does a healthy dose of realism.

Developers ignore reasoned, sober, critical diaogue at their own peril, as does their playerbase.

• 42 posts
    May 1, 2019 10:14 AM PDT

BamBam said:

I will roll a large range Beta 18 to 24 months 30 to 36 months full release

• 409 posts
    May 1, 2019 10:17 AM PDT

Nathos said:

That's about where I am at. I don't see release until at least 2022. Given what we have seen from the game's stability when it is more than just one group in one dungeon, I think beta will go on for a considerable amount of time whenever it actually starts.

• 197 posts
    May 1, 2019 10:25 AM PDT

@Venjenz I agree completely. Critical discussion is essential and we should engage in such. Just seemed like a generally positive observation got a bit derailed. There’s lots of threads debating the expected release date out there. Cheers!

• 1428 posts
    May 1, 2019 10:54 AM PDT

BamBam said:

Agree with Bazgrim that a clean launch is crucial you Pantheons succes. We are now use to all these games releasing in early acces state, with bugs and with limited content. the game needs to be done before VR pushes from beta state to release. I do not mind staying in beta for a year for that single reson. To clean the game up and to add content that is crucial on official release. If VR mannages to get to here, i have no doubt Pantheon will be a game for a big player base years to come.

you can see live examples of games that didn't launch clean and just tanked.  fallout76 and anthem are great examples.  even if you look at the a competitor to pantheon, ashes of creation, they deviating from their original vision and it's probably because the publishers are pressuring the devs to push out a product so they can make money.  it's obvious they are going to add a cash shop or something just for 'cosmetics' in that game now and people still were denying it.  it's a shame really.

• 595 posts
    May 1, 2019 1:24 PM PDT

Nathos said:

BamBam said:

Based on what we've seen to this point, the above is where I would put my money too.  With no alpha announcement yet, I would be shocked if the game is in beta in 18 months or less.

But to respond to the OP, its all very exciting stuff, though I have largely stepped away from the forums as its become clear that we are a long way off still.  The community is great though, and I'm looking forward to the day we can put our mark on Terminus and not just the forums.

• 246 posts
    May 1, 2019 1:34 PM PDT
    I don't think beta will be longer thin 8 months. But pre alpha is going to be any place from 2 more pa cycles to 6 and each may have one to 3 months to them.. thin alpha will probably be around 8 to 12 months . So launch is anyone guess.
    • 2138 posts
    May 1, 2019 2:21 PM PDT

Ithaca said:

How do you guys feel about having already over 20 thousands people on the Pantheon forum while in Pre-Alpha? 

I think that is tremendous! We are probably 12-18 months from release... 20K people on the forum, we can assume there are much more people interested that did not want to donate at this point but might join later. 

Congrats VR! As always, keep up the great work! 

is it possible to determine from this number what amount are posters, as opposed to only lurkers?

• 1860 posts
    May 1, 2019 6:41 PM PDT

antonius said:

This is exactly the problem I have been saying for years will arise with an endless development time.  The reality is that people start losing interest and faith in the project and honestly, at a certain point, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of doom when that happens.  You just cannot take 10 years to release a game.  People cannot hold their attention and interest that long.  Yes, obviously some people who are willing to overlook anything and everything in their positive outlook exist, but they are the small small minority, even among the die hard fans.  I personally am dying for this game, and have been for a long time, but frankly, I think if release is still like 3 more years away, then that is a death sentence before this thing even gets alive.

QFT

• 154 posts
    May 1, 2019 9:26 PM PDT

Manouk said:

is it possible to determine from this number what amount are posters, as opposed to only lurkers?

It would be very tedious for us to try to find out but I am sure VR admins could do that easily. 

• 1479 posts
    May 2, 2019 12:48 AM PDT

philo said:

antonius said:

QFT

Honestly I would like to accept this consideration, but there is litteraly nothing good to play and nothing good to be released as well. Loosing interest is one thing, but to the extent, it's not I could be catched with any other title.

• 93 posts
    May 2, 2019 4:58 PM PDT

In the end, I don’t think it matters for most people how much longer it takes for the game to release, they will pick it up and play it when it does.  If they like the finished product, they will play it regardless of release date.

second thought... I wonder how many people there are out there like me who aren’t playing or subscribed to any games at all.  People who are simply waiting for a game (like Pantheon) to come along that they want to invest their time and money into.  

Just ny two coppers...