Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Weapons of War

• 193 posts
    April 18, 2019 1:30 PM PDT

I'm posting this here because of the general thrust of the topic, but suppose it could go in the general forum. I think it's good that players and crafters are involved in the game world. Yes, it has to have limits to maintain integrity, but overal I think it's a good thing.

I was thinking about the housing thread and it sparked another thought. If GM events or just world events in general are part of Pantheon, what do you all think about crafters making assault weapons or things to bolster defense? Let's say there's a world event where several orc tribes band together and decide to attack Thronefast. What would you need to repel that attack and launch a counterattack? Scaffolding with pots of boiling oil, large ballistae, giant crossbows, iron reinforcements for city wall doors, special rampart sections that can be triggered to fall outside walls to stop invaders from coming over - it could be quite a long list. So, the questions are:

1) Should this even be a thing (assuming such events actually happen)?

2) What part should crafters play vs non-crafting players?

3) Specifically, which crafts do you see being involved?

4) Would this need to be it's own trade or just a mix of the currently known ones?

5) How would the raw resources work (gathering, refining, etc.)?

6) Would it require special, limited time quests (leading up to and for the duration of the event) so all could participate or limited to players with tradeskills who would gather it normally?

7) Should there be in game consequences for success and failure?

8) If the defense succeeds, should crafters be part of the salvaging and rebuilding?

9) If the defense fails, should crafters continue with the weapons to try and reclaim what was lost?

Would love to hear your thoughts, feedback and see the thrown tomatoes!

• 1315 posts
    April 18, 2019 7:52 PM PDT

Nephele had an interesting idea about crafting being used to upgrade/maintain open world structures. He might be interested in reposting some of his concepts (I can't remember if the post was here or on Pantheoncrafters.com)

The idea of crafting building up fortifications is an interesting idea though. I could see it fitting on a zone that runs similar to the WoW pvp zone Alterac Valley where two factions continously spawn mobs that clash against each other. Players can either fight the mobs or assist one side or another building up fortifications that help push the tide of battle and in turn opening up different content.

• 1785 posts
    April 20, 2019 4:04 PM PDT

You are thinking of this thread Trasak (it's on both sites) :)

I absolutely could see an opportunity for siege equipment and fortifications in appropriate areas.