Forums » Pantheon Classes

Casters and use of swords or bows

• 57 posts
    April 15, 2019 11:29 PM PDT
    This thought follows a little in line casters and auto attack.

Would it be worth while or fun for casters to have an AA line that would allow casters to use swords or bows, like Gandalf?
    • 230 posts
    April 16, 2019 5:14 AM PDT

Auto attack isn't much fun, as it just is. I can only turn it off or on there's just isn't much control of it. But without it there's just that much more of mashing buttons, so I tolerate it's existance.

As to casters and melee weapons. I look to the devs on that, it depends on the system and world. AD&D casters could not use swords but the excuse never made any sense to me. A mage could use a 2-handed staff but not a sword? People excuse that by saying "It's not metal." OK, but mages can use daggers as well, they're metal.

So it depends on the world rules the devs come up with. But if melee has and uses auto attack, then there should be a caster version as well. BUt I really would like to see a system where auto-attack isn't required.

• 193 posts
    April 16, 2019 7:17 AM PDT

Tahoe said: This thought follows a little in line casters and auto attack. Would it be worth while or fun for casters to have an AA line that would allow casters to use swords or bows, like Gandalf?

I think it's possible, later. From the lore:

Yet the Suns of Ginavi’s vision would rise, and with them came a morning which broke the Revenant into utter chaos. These Six Suns of Terminus were warriors of godlike power in physical might and arcane discipline, one from each pantheon of the Sacred. More commonly called WarWizards, they are most easily described as High Mortal beings of nearly pure supernatural ability. I confess their existence is contested by some today, so strange is their origin and decisive was their merit. With no warning of any kind, the dual terrors set upon the Revenant High Mortals with furious precision. Haethus-Krevgejl fled before her assailants, and is since so rarely seen she is thought perished. True to his namesake, Ossari raged in ferocity and managed to wound one of the WarWizards. But his might could not overcome the relentless heroes, and he fell dead on the very earth he had wiped Havensong from, as if he had merely prepared his own grave.

I'd love to see a class like this, a mix of arcane and physical.

• 230 posts
    April 16, 2019 9:02 AM PDT

Percipiens said:

Tahoe said: This thought follows a little in line casters and auto attack. Would it be worth while or fun for casters to have an AA line that would allow casters to use swords or bows, like Gandalf?

I think it's possible, later. From the lore:

Yet the Suns of Ginavi’s vision would rise, and with them came a morning which broke the Revenant into utter chaos. These Six Suns of Terminus were warriors of godlike power in physical might and arcane discipline, one from each pantheon of the Sacred. More commonly called WarWizards, they are most easily described as High Mortal beings of nearly pure supernatural ability. I confess their existence is contested by some today, so strange is their origin and decisive was their merit. With no warning of any kind, the dual terrors set upon the Revenant High Mortals with furious precision. Haethus-Krevgejl fled before her assailants, and is since so rarely seen she is thought perished. True to his namesake, Ossari raged in ferocity and managed to wound one of the WarWizards. But his might could not overcome the relentless heroes, and he fell dead on the very earth he had wiped Havensong from, as if he had merely prepared his own grave.

I'd love to see a class like this, a mix of arcane and physical.

maybe that's the next level after mastering Your wizard skills?

Or as a random thought.

You master wizard then use the progeny system, then master warrior then progeny opens up war wizard

This post was edited by DracoKalen at April 16, 2019 9:05 AM PDT
    • 193 posts
    April 16, 2019 9:13 AM PDT

DracoKalen said:

maybe that's the next level after mastering Your wizard skills?

Maybe. I see this as another class, though. It certainly wouldn't be on the magnitude of high mortal strength. Don't think you'd want a class that had full wizard damage with rogue or ranger melee. It would have to be tuned, for lack of a better word, to avoid being overpowered. It could involve augmenting weapons with spells to add +elemental damage, an intercept style ability where you almost port in front of a group member briefly, then back, leaving behind a damage absorbing shield, or something like leaving different brands on certain parts of your target (i.e. arm, torso, head, etc., if that's even a thing) to drop that target's resistance to [insert stat or school of magic here]. Could be very interesting.

• 41 posts
    April 16, 2019 12:51 PM PDT

At the moment Wizards already have the ability to use certain One-Handed Edged weapons. I'm sure this will be limited to caster type swords (long sword, scimitars or "special" sword type). How well this works into an auto attack we can't say right now. It could be more os the stat stick vs damaging weapons (low AA dps). It could be something that changing if an alternate advanced system were ever added.

• 57 posts
    April 16, 2019 3:28 PM PDT
    I am sorry I think my use is AA did translate completely. To me AA meant alternative advancement, like choosing skill sets. Like choosing melee capability over longer casting range or extended time on DOTs. Just for some more flavour to the character.

• 372 posts
    April 16, 2019 5:29 PM PDT

I don't think it would be worthwhile. To me it goes beyond flavor and stretches the class (or potentially a role).  I feel that advancement abilities used in that way would be overtly artificial. As I begin to type this I cringe, however: I appreciate the class and race restrictions when I consider how many alts will be created due to them. In other words, I'd roll a Gnome Shaman in a heartbeat... but I am glad I cannot.

• 193 posts
    April 17, 2019 8:07 AM PDT

Tahoe said: I am sorry I think my use is AA did translate completely. To me AA meant alternative advancement, like choosing skill sets. Like choosing melee capability over longer casting range or extended time on DOTs. Just for some more flavour to the character.

I should be the one apologizing, as I derailed your thread a bit. I haven't seen anything to indicate if AA (or a similar system) will be in place. Choosing melee capability would be fun, but don't see it happening. That's where the war wizard thing came from. I think that's where you're more likely to get the melee/arcane mix, and I can easily see it from the perspective of the lore, possibly as an expansion class.

• 945 posts
    April 17, 2019 8:32 AM PDT

Coercer in EQ2 (Enchanter) could use weapons and had a few melee attacks that were more for utiliity like stuns and spell interruprs and mana replenishment, but what made it amazing was the ability to change the appearance of your gear within reason, so I made my dagger look like a greatsword.  So my vampire coercer was going around mezmerizing enemies, forcing them to attack each other and hacking n slashing while simultaneously casting spells keeping entire groups of enemies either stunned or mezzed indefinitely.  Was fun.

With all of that said, I would rather see casters use wands as a ranged option, and if they had the option to use melee, I would rather have them have abilities instead of just auto attack.

This post was edited by Darch at April 17, 2019 8:33 AM PDT